Do you weigh every day? Do you fluctuate greatly??

Options

Replies

• kerryoneill22
    kerryoneill22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Funny how this topic has just started I was just thinking the same to myself I can fluctuate between 2 or 3 pounds per day, and I am not really sure why, yes if you look at my diary, the sugar has crept in a bit lately (your welcome to look) however I am getting a bit of exercise, 30 Day Shred is starting again today.

I wonder if it fluid retention, especially for the ladies when the tom is around, i seem to bloat about a week and a half before.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • ChloeNewton1991
    Options
    I used to... but I asked my boyfriend to hide the scale and take it out of Fridays for weigh-in day. I was getting so unmotivated from seeing my weight fluctuate every day
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    I used to... but I asked my boyfriend to hide the scale and take it out of Fridays for weigh-in day. I was getting so unmotivated from seeing my weight fluctuate every day
    I can see me having to do the same the motivation is getting a bit on the low side.
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself every day. It does tend to fluctuate quite a bit, especially now since I'm making a conscious effort to drink lots of water. I'm not discouraged when the scale goes up. I just think the fluctuations are interesting, especially fluctuations between morning and night.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning and every night...Just mostly to make sure I didn't go up. I am more at a maintaining stage right now, so it keeps me on track knowing what I weigh.
  • FahadNaseem
    FahadNaseem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes and Yes ( +/- 1.5kg)
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh in no more than once per week. If my weight didn't go down as far as I thought it should, I might try again the next day. A 1-3 pound variance is completely normal, so don't sweat it. :-)
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    every morning ... i usually loose a lil bit im talking point something of a pound if i goes up i dont really care either as i know it changes ect but at the end of the week i want to have lost for log in!
  • vbailey12
    vbailey12 Posts: 21
    Options
    Honestly...I do. But I don't know that that's a good thing. And I don't log my weight loss to MFP everyday. Something that I learned from my Wii Fit is if you do weigh yourself everyday you should weigh yourself the same time of day because it fluctuates 2-3 lbs due to metabolic things going on inside your body.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I can fluxuate 10 pounds in a day since I retain water like a sponge. I put the baseline weight for the day on my notes for my food. I measure on or around the first of each month. This month was crazy busy so it was either the second or third before I had time to measure. I'm carrying something like 5 pounds or so of water weight today so but since I weighed less than I've been weighing since 02/22/2013, I'm happy. As long as my weight keeps going down I'm not going to stress over it. This isn't a race. It's a goal to a healthier life. Good luck.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes and Yes! My attempts at weighing only weekly are futile, I have to hop on that damn thing every morning :noway:

Even though lately the weight is creeping down :drinker: so all is well!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Heck, I probably hop on the scale 3-4 times a day. I may have an obsessive personality, but anyway, my weight fluctuates similar to yours.

Though I weigh in excessively, I'm not bothered or discouraged by the fluctuations. I also take measurements and find this has been a great motivator. Plus, I really only 'Weigh in' on MFP once a week, and that number is always going down, so I'm okay with the day-to-day numbers fluctuating.

As for why, I think we all understand that (aside from diet & exercise) water and waste plays a big part in it.

Sounds like you're losing at a great pace, so good job…keep it going!

I do the same thing. This allows me to see how my weight is influenced by the type of water I drink sometimes-sparkling, and other foods like soup or high in sodium, how TOS, or strength training, change in exercise schedule, etc, affects the weight. I see it more as a scientific experiment on understanding my body. Otherwise, I think I would be upset if I just weighed myself once a week and saw a higher number than expected.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh in every day but probably 4x week. My weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs on any given day. I'm in TOM now so heck no weighing! I only log my weight once a week or so. Overall the trend is down so I'm happy.
  • natm91
    natm91 Posts: 39
    Options
    I weigh my self every couple of day so bout 2-3 days a week to keep track so i can amend my diet and exercise as i need to but i only log on here once a week on a particular day for me normally on a monday. but dont forget women on TOM can easily hold water i can gain 3-4lbs in water rentention then :) chin up as long as your loosing weight no need to worry :smile:
  • FindingLawanda
    FindingLawanda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself evry morning and my weight is less than a lbs from sunday. i have struggled with the same 15 lbs for over a year.
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    I don't weigh in every day but probably 4x week. My weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs on any given day. I'm in TOM now so heck no weighing! I only log my weight once a week or so. Overall the trend is down so I'm happy.
    Yeah TOM does make a difference 3lbs or so with me, however as long as you are happy it is good, its the weighing everyday thats not good with me.
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes and Yes! I know I shouldn't weigh everyday (well actually now I'm weighing every other day for really no other reason other than I have been forgetting, lol) but I do weigh myself a lot. I will fluctuate anywhere from 2-4 pounds sometimes. It's discouraging, but I keep at it. Then all of the sudden, I'll get on the scale and see a 2 pound drop!!! That is what keeps me motivated. Weighing everyday can cause anyone to lose motivation, but since I'm used to seeing the fluctuation or staying stationary THEN seeing some action, I don't mind weighing everyday, lol. :)
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Although I'm maintaining I weigh every day out of interest.

This is me too! This way I can continue to learn what food combos work the best for me. My "official" weigh in day is Monday. When the scale shows a loss I log it. Otherwise I don't.
  • ilonawie
    ilonawie Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once a week.... every Thursday (that's when I started using My fitness Pal 4 weeks ago). I do jump on scale once or twice during the week just becasue I am curious...but I I try to stop myself as much as I can. I do measurement also...but I can't see big results from week to week...so I think I will start measure stomach and hips every 3 to 4 weeks...then hopefully I can see some results.
  • fjc1968
    fjc1968 Posts: 26
    Options
    I weigh every morning, usually a difference of +/- 1lb, but since yesterday morning the scales have gone up by 6lb!!!! Yes, you read that right - 6lb in 24 hours!!!!!! However, I know I didn't eat an extra 21,000 yesterday so I'm not too worried, it will be different tomorrow but I can see how somebody could be de-motivated by this