HRMs does it matter if you buy a womens or mens?

lculian
lculian Posts: 313 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am researching HRM and found one I think looks like it has some good features. Does is matter is I buy a mens version even though I'm female? I didn't know if the programming is wired towards gender.

Does anyone have a Polar FT7??

Do you like it?

What monitors are working for people who run, walk, swim and do weight training??? Is there such a thing?

I guess I should have entitled this dazed nd confused

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it. Great investment! It is useable in water, but you have to have the factory change the batteries if you use it in water so they can make sure it is still water tight afterward. You can use it for any exercise and the band is really comfortable. As far as gender specific, I'm not sure. I did get a womens - the silver one. Less bulky, but the numbers are easily read. Good luck! It's like a little party when you finally decide on one and get it. I spent over a year thinking about it and checking out different models.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Sometimes the chest strap for the men's version is too big for tiny women. But otherwise, it's just about style. You should still be able to put in your gender so the calorie calculations are right.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    I'm looking into the Polar HRMs too. I also am intrigued by the fitbit.

I have a Timex right now and I have to replace the battery on the chest strap every couple of weeks. Do the Polar HRMs take up as much batter life?
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Sometimes the chest strap for the men's version is too big for tiny women. But otherwise, it's just about style. You should still be able to put in your gender so the calorie calculations are right.

This is the problem I have. I have to use a duvet clip to make the strap small enough to fit around me. It isn't gender specific. I have to bow flex. Found it for a super deal! :)
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Thank you for all of your feed back!! :flowerforyou:
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    I'm not sure- I bought the gold/black model for women . It even asked me my gender when setting it up. I'm sure the mens version would do the same. I love the FT7!
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    I was asking about HRM today too!!! I was very anxious to get one so I just ran out and got it today! I kinda thought I'd get the Polar FT7 but I ended up getting the Timex Ironman Personal Trainer but now I already decided I'm taking it back and getting the Polar. When I looked up the Timex model on the internet there it nothing on it... not even on Timex.com. It's the weirdest thing!! It could end up working just fine but I'd rather have one that I could get some more info on if I needed to, ya know.

BTW - I wish you could do the C25K with me!!! I actually thought of you on my walk/jog 'cause I could really feel pressure on my shins. I hope your shin splints get better soon! .. and I hope I don't end up getting them!! lol
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    The men's watch band is larger, and the watch is a tad bit heavier than the woman's watch. I would think the workings of the watch is the same. My polar asked for my gender and it is the pink woman's watch.

I would never get a light color again though. The pink is now different shades of pink/gray, from wear . It is 2 years old.
  • I have the F6, Men's and it does ask for gender when you set up. I don't have a problem with the chest strap although I have it as small as I can get it to go. It is an elastic band so it expands easier.

According to Polar, the watch batter should last about 2 years and it is recommended to be taken to a service center for replacement because there is a vaccuum seal and if replaced by unauthorized this can not be duplicated. The chest transmitter can easily be replaced. Can be purchased through website or authorized dealer.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    I just ordered a Polar FT60 today and I can't wait!

I don't have any practical experience, but I can address the swimming issue, as I've done tons of research on the matter. A monitor that would work while swimming was one of my primary requirements.

As far as I know, Polar is the only company that claims their HRM's work while swimming. Timex flat out states that theirs do not. While many HRM watches are waterproof, most will not register your heart rate. Even polar admits there are some caveats.

Here is their FAQ on swimming (http://bit.ly/bLqQp9):
    Swimming with your Polar product?

All of our monitors may be used for swimming with the exception of the RS800 and CS600.

The Polar T-Series transmitters (T31, T31C and T61) utilize a one-piece design that encases all of the electrical components inside of the unit. The Polar T-Series transmitters have no battery compartment or O-ring seal to cause leaking or failure and does not have exposed electronics to cause corrosion. This is why a Polar T-Series transmitters are the only 100% waterproof transmitters available on the market today.

The receivers are water resistant to 20, 30, 50 or 100 meters depending on the model. To maintain the water resistance, do not operate the buttons of the Polar wrist receiver under water.

Some models are equipped with a Wearlink Transmitter. The Wearlink Transmitter is a soft transmitter with a changeable battery. The electrodes are encased in a fabric strap which attaches to a small plastic transmitter. Although the Wearlink Transmitter is water-resistant, the T-Series transmitters are 100% waterproof and are always recommended for any water sport activity.

Heart rate measurement in a water environment is technically demanding for the following reasons:

Pool water with a high chlorine content and seawater may be very conductive and the electrodes of a transmitter may get short circuited and ECG signals cannot be detected by the transmitter unit.

Jumping into the water or strenuous muscle movement during competitive swimming may cause water resistance that shifts the transmitter on the body to a location where it is not possible to pick up the ECG signal.

The ECG signal strength varies depending on the individual's tissue composition. The percentage of people who have problems in heart rate measuring is considerably higher in a water environment than in other use.

So, to use your Polar HRM while swimming, you need to have one of the older T31 transmitters, not the fancy new Wearlink ones, and even then, it might not work. And if it does, it might slip off while you are swimming. But there are numerous examples of people swimming just fine with their Polar HRM's so it certainly can be done. As to the problem of slippage, I read one post on the polar forums where somebody sewed an additional shoulder strap to their T31 strap so that it stayed put. I'm considering doing the same when I get mine.

Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.