Lifting and very sore

Options
On Monday I worked out with a personal trainer for 90 Minutes he focused on Arms and Core. Yesterday and this morning my arms are extremely sore it even hurts to straighten my left arm.

So my question is, is it best to go and work out to loosen the muscles or to take another day off? Pleasehelp!

Replies

• mudonthetires856
    mudonthetires856 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would take another day to rest. I do strength training 3 times a week, sometimes 4. Building muscle doesn't happen while you are lifting, it happens during rest & recovery when the muscles are repairing themselves. Most of the time I'll take an active recovery day where I will take a walk, light jog or some other type of light cardio, but not lift. Others have said to work through the pain and the soreness will feel better. I personally don't like to do that because I can't really give it my all when I'm super sore.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting or have been out of the gym for a while this soreness is perfectly normal. Taking another day or two off of lifting or intense exerscize is fine. However, you definitely want to keep moving as you'll be sore longer if you're sedintary. Stretch the sore muscles out and ice then down if you'd like, that will help too. Stay with it!
  • ashbrowning
    Options
    I have been at the gym for 6 weeks but this is the first week doing weight training with a trainer. I definetely want to keep moving, i am doing a cardio class tonight i just wasnt sure if i should let my arms rest another day. I could do weight training on my legs though. I just dont want to over do it. New to weight training thats all.
  • arsan
    arsan Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We can't make that decision for you to work out considering we don't know just how much pain you are feeling or how much pain you can bare but that happened to me when I first started working out. The pain lasted about 2-3 days. My arms didn't rest straight and stayed bent and every time I tried to straighten my arms, it hurt like hell. Despite the pain, i continued to work other parts of my body but when it came time to work out my arms again, when I lift the dumb bells, it straightened my arms and felt good. Now it doesn't hurt at all whenever i workout my arms. Just remember that you have to workout smart. Try to workout and see how you do. If you are too sore, maybe the trainer will find a way to work around the sore area or pick a different part of your body to workout. Whatever you decide, just don't give up.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am usually of the camp that "the best thing you can do for sore muscles is more of what made them sore" camp, and attempt to do this. You need to make the call on how bad it is and if it is a "good" pain or a "bad" pain.

ALSO, make sure to get your water in, that also helps with soreness. You should be drinking about .5oz per pound of body weight.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It'll last 24-48 hours on average, maybe more if your not used to training.

It does get better, you'll ened up less sore after a few weeks when you've got used to it (By a few, I mean between 2-6 Weeks!). Stick with it and it will pay off in the long run.

As for recovery, light active recovery is best, keep moving, especially the sore area, light weight's if you "have to"

If your going the gym later train Legs, if the cardio does not destroy them first!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    If it is soreness and not a feeling of injury, I would workout again. It's most likely lactation in the muscles and working them again will get more blood flowing through there. I've always found that if my muscles are sore and tight 2 days out that lifting got rid of the pain and soreness.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would think you'd be ok to do your cardio class but I'm not sure what exactly that involves. If it includes holding light weights or using a resistance band, skip that and just go through the moves without extra weights. This is considered active recovery and can actually help with the healing. Make sure you stretch REALLY thoroughly afterwards. It's also good to drink lots of water when you're recovering, it helps with the balance as muscle retains water when it heals so the more water you drink (therefore providing extra hydration to the body), the better the process should work.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    As long as it's just sore (DOMS) and not an injury, get back to it!! :-) You will feel much better faster the more you use the sore muscles. Being sedentary will only make the soreness last longer.