How quickly should your heart rate increase?

Options
It's just something i'm curious about, and I want to know what other people's experiences are regarding the speed at which their heart-rate increases upon beginning exercise.
How long should it take for your heart rate to increase by eg:100 when going from resting to vigorous cardio?

My heart rate changes quite rapidly when I go from resting to exercising, and I just want to get a better idea of what's normal and what I should expect.

Replies

• Zoe85
    Zoe85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's just something i'm curious about, and I want to know what other people's experiences are regarding the speed at which their heart-rate increases upon beginning exercise.
    How long should it take for your heart rate to increase by eg:100 when going from resting to vigorous cardio?

My heart rate changes quite rapidly when I go from resting to exercising, and I just want to get a better idea of what's normal and what I should expect.

Im not really sure myself what it could be but all i know is i warm up for 5 minutes before going into a vigourous workout to increase my heart rate gradually and then from warmed up to vigrous mine increases within minutes of starting and usually end up around 180bpm :)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't turn on my HRM until the end of my warm-up, and at that time, my HR is usually around 110. It can be 170-180 within 2 to 2.5 minutes if I'm doing cardio. A better measure of your cardiovascular fitness is how quickly your HR normalizes at the end of a vigorous workout (the quicker, the better).