weights and weight loss

Options
bushokie
bushokie Posts: 180 Member
Just joined a little gym as far as weight lifting while losing weight whats worked for you ..heavy weight low reps ..lower weight high reps ..how many days a week ..etc..thank you

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women, I recommend that series and author. I'm going heavy weights and low reps 3 nights a week.
    Pick up New Rules of Lifting, you won't regret it!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy, low reps.. I am all about the strength..
  • bushokie
    Options
    thanks i will
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, you're talking about 2 separate things. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Strength training has very little to do with that.

Maintain a healhty, reasonable calorie deficit to lose weight. Strength training to help preserve muscle mass while you lose weight. You'll end up losing a greater percentage of body fat while retaining a higher percentage of muscle. This is certainly the most healthy approach, and for most people gives a better end results.

But more to yoru question about the type of lifting... anything is better than nothing. Machines, body weight , free weights, resistance bands, all work. But most people will agree that higher weight with lower reps will work the best.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is a little different when it comes to lifting. Personally, I like to lift heavy and do fifteen reps working my arms, then legs, then abs, 60 seconds of intense cardio (just to keep the burn up)... repeat. I usually wind up doing 6-8 cycles lasting about 30 minutes.

Also, I tend to gravitate toward free weights and really focus on my breathing and proper form. Don't hesitate to ask a trainer for advice if you're not sure if you're doing something correctly... they're there to help you.

As long as I maintain a calorie deficit I don't bulk up. I try to do this at least twice a week, but usually manage to get in three sessions.

Make sure you give your muscles adequate time to heal and repair after lifting... so do not do it everyday. :smile:

Enjoy it! The gym is my happy place..
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i think it's good to use a variety of methods, as long as your muscles are working hard and you can barely eek out the last few reps, that's how i know it's working. i switch it up between low weight and high reps and high weight and low reps every 8-12 weeks to keep my body guessing. works for me!
  • bushokie
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • bushokie
    Options
    thanks
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    have you lifted before? If not dont go too heavy find your rhythm first off mayber lighter with higher reps then work your way down to lower reps and lifting heavier weight.
  • bushokie
    Options
    great thanks
  • sarahlouise7
    sarahlouise7 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5 is a good programme. Iv not started it yet as im just completing p90x but il be starting in April. There is lots of info on here and online about it, maybe look it up and see what you think. Its a good methodical programme, not complicated and do-able. What ever you choose, good luck and enjoy :)
  • sgreene_0812
    sgreene_0812 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lift 3x week and no more than once every 72 hours. I lift for an hour and 15 minutes; 1 hour upper body and 15 minutes lower (primarily my glutes and quads since I'm a runner). I do cardio for an hour after I lift as well interchaning the eliptical machine with running every other day (easier on the knees).

Work your core every time you work out. My tried and true formula has been using the Roman Chair to do crunches, then switch to situps (go slow), then do plank push-ups, then back to Roman Chair crunches, and so on.

Go slow and start with nautilus machines until you your muscles are conditioned. For example, I did preacher curls on the nautilus machine for several months before I switched to free weights. Weights are fantastic for weight loss.

Work your muscles in opposite directions. For example if you do dips (works your triceps), then switch to pull ups (works your biceps) then go back to dips, then back to pull ups. You can use a weight assist machine if your gym has one for the dips and pull-ups. As you lose weight and get stronger you'll see you won't need the weight assist plates anymore.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Try a few different options and go with what you like. You will be burning calories regardless, which is the main goal, right? I get bored easily (thank you ADD), so I switch up my routine every 4 weeks or so. Typically I do cardio everyday and strength training of some sort 5-6 out of the 7 days.
  • bushokie
    Options
    great info thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're a beginner in the weight room, I'd look into a beginner strength program like Starting Strength. It will build an excellent foundation of routine and strength to carry forward as you progress. I'm not a complete beginner in the weight room, but haven't lifted in a long time...so I've decided to start from scratch with Starting Strength.

I'm making excellent strength gains. I've been going strong now for about 2 months with the program. I have no time limit on it, but I figure in nine months or so I should have a good functional strength base to move on to another program. I should be at goal by then as well, so I'll probably transition to a hypertrophy program once I'm done with SS.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    for new people and even more experienced people the best method is both low weight high rep and high weight low rep. To get the most out of weights you should always focus on form over amount. Form is king, poor form will equal injury or ineffective use of time. It took me years to learn that lower weight and better form yields better results than higher weight with poor form. Also training for size and training for strength are 2 very different approaches.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com has some great programs to follow. I am currently on week 2 of Jamie Eason's program and can tell a big difference with muscle tone and definition.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    FInd a strength program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Eat in at moderate deficit. Get enough protein. Add cardio if you want.

<---It works.
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5 is a good programme. Iv not started it yet as im just completing p90x but il be starting in April. There is lots of info on here and online about it, maybe look it up and see what you think. Its a good methodical programme, not complicated and do-able. What ever you choose, good luck and enjoy :)

I agree with Strong lift 5x5. It will build your strength and it's easy for beginners. 3-4 simple exercises that will work your whole body. I've seen great improvements in a short time. I wanted to be able to bench my weight. I'm far beyond that now. :-D I went from benching 130 lbs to benching 230 lbs. I weigh 170 lbs. It took me about 8 weeks to get there all while maintaining my weight.
  • mdev1
    mdev1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, you're talking about 2 separate things. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Strength training has very little to do with that.

That's true, but more muscle mass = more calorie burn.

As a general rule, heavy weights and low reps = more mass. Higher reps with low weights = more definition and tone. To significantly affect muscle mass, you need to break down the muscle tissue by exhausting it. The best way to do that is to start with a weight that you can lift 8-10 times at most. On the next set, go until you can't lift it any more, less reps are okay and expected. Do the same with the 3rd set and do a 4th set if possible until you can't even to 1 more rep. If done right, you should completely exhaust the muscle group. Eating plenty of protein and/or consuming amino acids directly will help the muscle group recover. During this recovery period, the muscle tissue will grow a little stronger (add mass). For this reason, you need to alternate the muscle group workouts to give the body time to rebuild the muscles you have exhausted. Always allow a day between working the same muscle group.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!