Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    A19j_H6CYAAalNJ.jpg
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    There is nothing at all wrong with doing cardio. Strength training and cardio serve two different purposes though:

(1) Strength training will help you build muscle mass. Muscle mass will increase your body's caloric needs and therefore, over the long run, help you lose body fat by making it possible to eat more while still losing (or not gaining) body fat. If you are going to for the lean, "toned" (I hesitate to use that word but am) look, then strength training is the way to go. Basically, this is what will make you look good on the beach (body recomposition).

(2) Cardio burns calories now so it allows you to lose weight while eating more than you otherwise would. That said, it is entirely possible to lose weight while doing absolutely no cardio, and there are plenty of people on MFP that look great and just strength train. The other benefit of cardio is obviously cardiovascular health, and also, for many of us, the endorphin release.

The threads you see speaking negatively about cardio, for the most part, are attempting to convey that you absolutely should be engaged in strength training. Cardio alone is not enough for body recomposition/the beach look.

EDIT: I do both and I would encourage both. But that's me.

x2
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    There is nothing at all wrong with doing cardio. Strength training and cardio serve two different purposes though:

(1) Strength training will help you build muscle mass. Muscle mass will increase your body's caloric needs and therefore, over the long run, help you lose body fat by making it possible to eat more while still losing (or not gaining) body fat. If you are going to for the lean, "toned" (I hesitate to use that word but am) look, then strength training is the way to go. Basically, this is what will make you look good on the beach (body recomposition).

(2) Cardio burns calories now so it allows you to lose weight while eating more than you otherwise would. That said, it is entirely possible to lose weight while doing absolutely no cardio, and there are plenty of people on MFP that look great and just strength train. The other benefit of cardio is obviously cardiovascular health, and also, for many of us, the endorphin release.

The threads you see speaking negatively about cardio, for the most part, are attempting to convey that you absolutely should be engaged in strength training. Cardio alone is not enough for body recomposition/the beach look.

Very well said, I agree with everything, except "Cardio alone is not enough for body recomposition/the beach look."
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This was a really helpful thread to read! I've also wondered the benefits/balance of cardio and strength training.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    this whole thing is a table, and a table has four legs. nutrition, strength training, cardio, and rest. no one leg is more important than than any other.

If you want one quarter of the results you have the potential to reach, then by all means, only do one.

If you want maximum results - then you're going to have to do all four.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options
    There shouldn't be a "versus." It should be an "and."

It's like chocolate and peanut butter. Both are wonderful, but AMAZING together.

Quoted For Truth
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Just a little carification about your first point...

First, most people are going to be on a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. As such, they aren't going to be building any muscle, certainly not any meaningful amount.

Second, while muscle does increase caloric need, the effect isn't significant in the grand scheme of things. Yes, in the long run every little bit helps, but people run around thinking that if they can just build 1 or 2lbs of muscle in the next few weeks their bodies will some how turn into fat burning furnaces. In reality, neither is true. No one is putting on 2lbs of muscle in a month while on a calorie deficit. And even if they did, that 2lbs of muscle would have an insignificant impact on their BMR and caloric need in general.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    this whole thing is a table, and a table has four legs. nutrition, strength training, cardio, and rest. no one leg is more important than than any other.

If you want one quarter of the results you have the potential to reach, then by all means, only do one.

Depending on your goals, this may not be the case. Cardio goals and strength/mass goals are in direct opposition with each other.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Very good advice I do both too
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great for your health.

It's not necessary for body recomposition.

Strength training is necessary for recomp.

I encourage moderate levels of cardio - a few hours a week - and a heavy strength training regiment for people who want to lose fat and get toned.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about this because I've read quite a few posts in various forums here that say something along the lines of "Don't waste your time doing cardio--lift weights instead!"

Why is that? What's wrong with doing cardio? I thought that any exercise that gets your heart rate up and gets you moving was good. I know that weight-lifting helps to improve calorie burn because of building muscle (which burns calories at a much higher rate than fat) but it doesn't necessarily follow for me that therefore cardio is a waste of time. I do a lot of treadmilling and my legs are definitely getting more muscle definition and losing fat dramatically. So I'm kind of wondering what's with the negative comments I'm seeing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with cardio!!! It's my belief that a good exercise program consists of both - cardio and strength training!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I do both.
    Again, for me, if this is a "lifestyle" cardio isn't about losing weight, it's about being in good cardiovascular shape into old age. Strength training is about maintaining my LBM and keeping my bones strong into old age.

So for me, both.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

As noted, this isn't necessarily true depending on your goals.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Just a little carification about your first point...

First, most people are going to be on a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. As such, they aren't going to be building any muscle, certainly not any meaningful amount.

Second, while muscle does increase caloric need, the effect isn't significant in the grand scheme of things. Yes, in the long run every little bit helps, but people run around thinking that if they can just build 1 or 2lbs of muscle in the next few weeks their bodies will some how turn into fat burning furnaces. In reality, neither is true. No one is putting on 2lbs of muscle in a month while on a calorie deficit. And even if they did, that 2lbs of muscle would have an insignificant impact on their BMR and caloric need in general.

It is true that you will likely not build any muscle while losing weight (assuming the "you" we are speaking of is not seriously overweight). "You" will, however, maintain lean body mass while losing fat if you are strength training (and getting adequate nutrition). If all you do is lose weight and not strength train you will also lose a significant amount of muscle.

As for your second point, I hear what you're saying, but my own calorie needs have spiked as I've put on muscle, and it's clearly not only from cardio. I absolutely run, but my running burns don't account for my change in TDEE. To be clear we are talking 150 -200 calories a day. I certainly have not become a "a fat burning furnace" in your terms (which I assume parrots the terms that I've seen claimed on places like T-Nation). I will also say, again in my own experience, that weight lifting burns far more calories than commonly given credit for it. If anyone has any conclusive scientific studies covering these areas, I would love to see them (seriously).
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options

Depending on your goals, this may not be the case. Cardio goals and strength/mass goals are in direct opposition with each other.

To achieve general fitness, you must incorporate all four of these things. how you tweak them and adjust the levels you prefer for each one and tailor them to your specific goals is an entirely different thing.

Im a heavy lifter. I hate cardio. I dont wanna do yoga. believe me, I know.

But Im just doing all I can do on the MFP forums and answering the question that was put in front of me. I cannot try to read between every line from every person posting and guess at what their goals are or what motivates them or what their history has put in their minds.

All i can do is give the general advice and the general advice is that cardio, weights, rest and nutrition are all important for fitness and health. It is not one vs the other. Together they are a beautiful machine, just like you - then you can aim it where you want to aim it.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options

As noted, this isn't necessarily true depending on your goals.

As noted, I was just letting the OP know that both are important for fitness. Since her goals were not stated, Im giving general accepted advice. generally speaking, all four are important.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't think cardio is a waste of time. Your heart is a muscle and needs exercised just like any other muscle in your body. That said, too much cardio is a waste of time...just as excessive lifting is a waist of time. You eventually reach a point where you really don't get any benefit of doing more...in fact, at a certain point, doing more hinders progress.

Now, how much is too much and how much is enough really depends on a couple factors...1.) your fitness goals, and 2.) your level of fitness. Both of these things have to be taken into consideration when developing a fitness routine. Problem is that many do not set any fitness goals beyond, "I want to burn a **** ton of calories for faster weight loss." When truly, they should have fitness goals that are independent of their weight loss goals...yes, they go hand in hand, but...your left hand is independent of your right hand is it not?

Because people just want to burn calories, many over train for their current fitness level...they also don't maximize the fitness benefits that they could because they really don't have any other stated goal. They just do endless hours of cardio for the sake of burning calories...this is indeed a waste of time given that diet can be used/manipulated to control weight. This is one of the reasons I always say, diet for weight control, exercise for your fitness.

Further, far too many people, with their insistence on doing hours and hours of cardio, completely ignore the rest of their body. They end up getting to a goal weight but are unhappy with their composition...so they think they need to lose even more weight and do even more cardio...when in fact, what they need to do is stop ignoring their muscles. Cardio is weight training for the cardiovascular system...it does not substantially change body composition. You have to do resistance/weight training to change body composition...and yes, you have to do more than 3x 20 of 5 Lb dumbbells to do it.