too much protein?

Options
On a regular basis I go over on my protein.....is there such a thing as "TOO MUCH PROTEIN"????

Replies

• lynzt16
    lynzt16 Posts: 48
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing too. Almost every day i go over on my protein...but i find if i dont go over on my protein, im hungry!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I personally feel that the levels set on MFP are too low. I changed my protein level to 30%. The registered dietician I see wants me eating at least 100g a day of protein, she'd prefer to see it about 120g.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add, the dietician also told me that more than 30g in any one meal is a waste, because your body can only use that much at a time.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you are always over in protein, you are probably coming up short on either carbs or fat. Too much protein is hard on your kidneys, but healthy individuals don't really need to worry about that too much. It's more dangerous for people who already have kidney problems as it can make things worse. Some people set their goals here to lower carbs and raise protein. This site sets a 50/20/30 ratio, I believe for carbs protein and fat. You can change that on your goals if you want to have a little higher protein goal
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    I aim for 1g per pound I am
  • electricgypsy
    electricgypsy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i wish i could eat over my protein more. i struggle there cos i just love my carbs :(
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I tend to lose weight quicker if i'm under on carbs and over on protein. I don't go over by very much but sometimes I do a little bit.
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    The MFP goals are way too low for you to OD on protein. I always try to aim for 90-120g of protein a day. I read the other day that you'd need to eat around 200g for it to be too much and on our calorie allowances that just wouldnt happen. It is also true what someone else said that eating more than 30g in a sitting is a waste.

However, I dont find it to be true what someone else said that when your protein is up your carbs will be lower. I regularly fight to keep my carbs to under 250g while my protein is over 100g (and my fat is around 30g). Its quite easy to consume foods that are both protein and carb rich.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The MFP goals are way too low for you to OD on protein. I always try to aim for 90-120g of protein a day. I read the other day that you'd need to eat around 200g for it to be too much and on our calorie allowances that just wouldnt happen. It is also true what someone else said that eating more than 30g in a sitting is a waste.

However, I dont find it to be true what someone else said that when your protein is up your carbs will be lower. I regularly fight to keep my carbs to under 250g while my protein is over 100g (and my fat is around 30g). Its quite easy to consume foods that are both protein and carb rich.

The goals are set for percentage of total calorie intake, so for example 50% carbs is 50% of your total calories for the day coming from carbs. At the end of the day that total calorie intake number has to equal 100%. I didn't say your carbs would be lower, I said either carbs or fat would be lower than your set goal for that nutrient. All i was saying is that if you are too high for one nutirent, you will be lower in another unless you are over in overall calories. This is mathematically accurate based on percentages. i wasn't saying it wasn't ok to do that once in a while, just pointing out that you should be aware of it.
  • melting_mama
    melting_mama Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing! Glad you started this thread!