Which came first?

Options
2»

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I'm backwards, twisted and old. So i swim 72 to 110 laps first. Then hit the weight room. I need the long warmup.
    On weekends I have more time to spread out the workouts. Swim at 6AM, lift at 11:30 with my son. Then swim again at 3:30 with my daughter.
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm backwards, twisted and old. So i swim 72 to 110 laps first. Then hit the weight room. I need the long warmup.
    On weekends I have more time to spread out the workouts. Swim at 6AM, lift at 11:30 with my son. Then swim again at 3:30 with my daughter.

Thats a lot of laps! Well done :)
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    Here is an article that was found that helps explain it...

http://www.sbcoachescollege.com/articles/SmartCardiotoBurnFat.html

It says to do Strength then Cardio but, if the other way works best for you, then go for it. You have to do what is best for you and how you feel better and can get thru a workout.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Strength before cardio.

You need the power at the beginning to get through the strength part. As for the cardio, you get a great cardio workout because you'll be trying your hardest, even if it's not as high intensity as you feel like it should be.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I do them on separate days.
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I had a friend post this just now in a group:

You want to lift first before cardio. The goal of cardio is fat loss. Your body burns 4 things for fuel, muscle glycogen, liver glycogen Blood Borne amino acids and then fat. It takes 25-30 minutes of working out to get to the point where you are burning fat. So you do the lifting/resistance training first because you utilize these first three sources to be able to lift heavier and build more muscle, and then you do cardio. This also decreases injury because of fatigue both in your body and in your muscles.

:)
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    plus your weights routine will keep that burn going all day, whereas the burn from cardio tapers off pretty fast.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    The other day, I read somewhere about how someone does cardio before and after strength training. It helps burn more calories. I'm not sure how this works or how accurate it is. They seemed to have a hard time explaining how/why. I workout at Curves which is a circuit workout alternating cardio and strength but I can't do Curves on Zumba days without feeling worn out during Zumba. So I do Curves M, W, F and Zumba on T, Th. Sometimes I walk half mile at 3mph before my Curves workout and repeat that afterwards (it seems to work well, but I don't have time for this)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm sure somebody already posted this but just in case...

Strength first. You want maximum output from your muscles AND proper form. If you are winded and or muscles are tired, your bound to cheat a bit with bad from and not reach your maximum weight per exercise.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915330-cardio-then-lift-or-lift-then-cardio

This thread has a lot of people doing a cardio warmup (15 mins max) then lift then cardio (30 mins +)