adding resistance to elliptical

Options
Is adding resistance to the elliptical considered "strength training"? My elliptical at the gym goes up to level 25, and I am currently on level 12. I have to push, and it's interval, so some times are harder than others. I am pear shaped, so I really want to lose weight with cardio and strengthen my leg muscles at the same time. I have lost weight, but my thighs have grown an inch in 2 months. I'm hoping its only temporary. I want some resistance, I'm just not comfortable enough to start doing that at my gym yet.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No. with strength training you would not be able to do multiple reps. What increasing the resistance will do is give you a harder workout in a shorter amount of time. (burn more cals/min)
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You can build some muscle with cardio, but there is a limit. Most people who do cardio regularly for several months will have reached that limit. After that, for most people, the muscle building is very, very minor (if at all). You're basically building endurance not muscle. The increased size in your thighs is interesting. Muscle is denser than body fat, so even if you're building muscle, your legs should be getting more slender.

At the level you're at on the elliptical, it sounds like you're pretty ready to incorporate some strength training. If you're not ready to commit, but want to get your toes wet, see if your gym has a free personal training session that you can use. Or a discount on a 2-3 session package. Or if there are some people you know who are experienced lifters, see if you can shadow them on a workout. I can understand the hesitancy. Everytime, I started lifting, I would end up getting injured. But with the help of a trainer, I was able to get the hang of it and learn to really love doing it. And the first few months of strength training will be great because you're going to get good results in building lean muscle (and burning bodyfat).

Whatever you decide to do, keep up the effort! Good luck!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You're basically building endurance not muscle.

^^This and the levels are more for higher HR which = higher calorie burns.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'd say, while it's not hardcore and what most people call "strength training", it will build muscle just like by virtue of the resistance. P90X can be done with resistance bands instead of weights and one will certainly build muscle.

Personally, I use the elliptical at the Y and have a pro LifeCycle recumbent bike at home. My thighs have gotten stronger muscles (bigger) because of using those to machines. Yes, I still lift some weights but not as much for my legs.

As to previous posters point, doing the elliptical can create a certain amount of fatigue. I can lift more weights if I do my leg lifting first before stepping on the elliptical whereas I will have some muscle fatigue if I do training after being on the elliptical.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can build some muscle with cardio, but there is a limit. Most people who do cardio regularly for several months will have reached that limit. After that, for most people, the muscle building is very, very minor (if at all). You're basically building endurance not muscle. The increased size in your thighs is interesting. Muscle is denser than body fat, so even if you're building muscle, your legs should be getting more slender.

At the level you're at on the elliptical, it sounds like you're pretty ready to incorporate some strength training. If you're not ready to commit, but want to get your toes wet, see if your gym has a free personal training session that you can use. Or a discount on a 2-3 session package. Or if there are some people you know who are experienced lifters, see if you can shadow them on a workout. I can understand the hesitancy. Everytime, I started lifting, I would end up getting injured. But with the help of a trainer, I was able to get the hang of it and learn to really love doing it. And the first few months of strength training will be great because you're going to get good results in building lean muscle (and burning bodyfat).

Whatever you decide to do, keep up the effort! Good luck!

This is wrong most cases. To build muscle you need a caloric surplus and to overload the muscle you want to grow. Neither of which is the case for those on a diet doing cardio an no strength training. In actuality without enough cals and protein, if you are doing cardio only (no strength training) you will actually lose lean muscle mass.
  • redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well I did it. I faced my fears. I did the elliptical for 30 minutes on level 15 (up three levels from previous) and then I did some resistance. I really didn't feel like I fit in, but I used some of the equipment. I didn't work on the bottom half, just because the growth of one inch in my thighs scares the living crap out of me. I go to planet fitness, and I know a lot of people don't like it, but the one I go to is really great. I did the thigh abduction machines (inner and outer) and I did some chest and arm machines. I have shaky arms right now, so I did something. I think I will start doing that now that I have conquered my chickeness about the whole thing and not just stick to cardio anymore. Thanks for everyone's input.