My first day at the gym

Options
Today I was planning on going to the HS track to do W1D1 of C25K, but it was windy and I had the chills. I forgot my windbreaker and didn't want to be miserable and cold on the track. But I didn't want to wimp out either.

Earlier this year, a Anytime Fitness Center/Gym opened up here in town and I have been considering checking it out for a couple of weeks. But I have been wary about the expense considering our budget. They have been advertising a free 7 day trial membership, so I figured that I could go check out AF and, using their treadmills, get my walking in at the same time.

So I got the 15 minute tour and sales pitch, signed up for the trial membership (paid a refundable $15.00 for my access card), changed into my walking clothes and hit the treadmill. Liz, the manager, showed my the basic ropes, set the treadmill for 30 minutes, hit start and was gone. So it was me and the machine. And I started walking, setting the treadmill at 2.5mph - I mean, I don't want to over do it the first time, right? I continue walking, all while watching a re-run episode of Law & Order:SVU, my favorite guilty pleasure. I mean, how cool it that? I can get my exercise AND watch TV - the best of both worlds, fitness meet couch potatoe.

However, that got old quick. I upped the pace to 3.0mph and turned on my MP3 player. (Not only am I a notive at working out, but I'm also technologically Amish, just recently got a cell phone with music capabilities). I'm walking to Adele "Rolling in the Deep", picking up the pace, feeling a little winded and thirsty (note to self - next time on treadmill, bring water bottle). A message flashes on the display "25% complete" - What? I've already walked for 7.5 mins? I look at another display - .44 miles. Wow! Almost 1/2 mile? Already?

I'm starting to feel good. I feel the dampness of sweat on my chest and back. I actually have to wipe sweat off of my forehead. I'm actually doing this! I'M REALLY DOING THIS! I pick up the pace again, up to 3.3mph. I think I'm getting into the zone. I no longer fell winded or really thirsty. My ankles aren't bothering me. I'm just walking and feeling my body, the sweat, my breathing. And it feels good. Up the pace again, to 3.5mph. This is awesome. Another flash - "60% complete" and I've walked over 1 mile. Keep walking, up the pace, jog a little, keep going, feel the sweat.

I keep going, for 30 minutes. My average pace is 3.5mph, I am closing in on 2 miles (ok, only 1.7 miles). I watch to "time remaining" display tick down the minutes, then the seconds. The treadmill kicks into cool down mode - 5 more minutes. When all is said and done, I have exercised for 35 minutes, walked 1.91 miles and burned 168 calories.

I am now reveling in my accomplishment. I feel so good! I haven't felt this good about myself in years. I'm proud of myself, of my acheivement. I'm smilling, I don't even feel tired. I feel empowered. I don't have to be fat for the rest of my life. I found the solution to my problem and I can do it. I have made the decision - I WILL BE HERE TOMORROW. I have found my future.

Replies

• susiepet
    susiepet Posts: 68
    Options
    You are an inspiration - keep going!

Sue
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    :) Congrats on your determination and the feeling of accomplishment is well deserved. Stick with it and the rewards keep coming and you will start feeling even better!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    HIGH FIVE
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Good job. Many would not have found an alternative activity when the first workout didn't happen. Well done!!!
  • DotPett
    DotPett Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    You go girl!!! thats awesome!!! Its the best feeling ever!!!
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Great job! Getting started that first day is one of the hardest parts and you knocked it out of the park.
  • Goldie_13
    Goldie_13 Posts: 71
    Options
    Great job!:flowerforyou:
  • ShelliePAwesome
    ShelliePAwesome Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Whoo hoo! You are awesome!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Way to go! That is a good pace too!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Well, that was pretty kick@ss! You should be VERY proud. Keep it up!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Good for you :wink: I'm not a huge fan of treadmills but that is one feature I like - the miles as you run/walk!

Great job!
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    THAT IS AWESOME GIRL!!! WTG!! :happy:
  • mikessister
    mikessister Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good music does the trick everytime! Keep up the good work :-)
  • beckysiz
    beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Keep it up!

I love AF. I travel some for work and no matter what club I go to everyone is always friendly and helpful.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!!!!!!!!!
  • motherofthree1974
    Options
    I know the feeling i go to the gym every morning once i drop off the kids to school and i feel great and stress free. So HIGH FIVE to you on your workout and continue doing what you want to do.....
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    And it gets better and better every time! Keep it up you'll be running in no time!!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill very boring, so I am proud and in awe of you for not only not quitting but for excelling!! Music does make it go quicker, though!
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! That's awesome and keep it up .... ;)