Options
Ok so I am in no way ready for a 5k (or even a 1k lol) but at what moment do you find yourself realizing it is possible? It is a time thing (like I can do 3.1 miles in --minutes) or is it more "I want to try and do it".

Just curious since I know a lot of people who do them and always wondered where the starting point is?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Well, my first race I signed up for was a half marathon (I had never run farther than 5k at the time) but I don't think its really different than your question. Each new distance is a challenge, for many something we have never done before and seems to be impossible. There was no point before signing up that I thought it was possible for me, I did it with a group. I was always trying to figure out how I was going to do it. But I followed the program.
    I can remember when my "long run" was 9 km. I had no idea how I was going to do it. But I went out and tried, and I did it. Every week, I didn't know how I was going to run that far and every week I did.
    That is what I love best about running, how you can push yourself past what you thought was possible, whether that is distance, time, pace, whatever.

The thing about a 5k is, it is very tangible. You can always fall back on walking and still finish (you can with longer distances too but it is hard to walk longer ones without training). And there are tons of training programs out there that get you to a 5k race distance in a fairly short amount of time.

I guess reading that my answer is "I want to try and do it". Most can if they try.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You just have to want to do it. I started running and then found a 5K that I thought would be fun and light-hearted (The Color Run) and I signed up for it.

You don't have to go into your first race thinking it's serious. Have fun with it and if you have to walk some of it, then you walk some of it. There are usually people of all running levels and you just have to do it.

My advice is to pick one and sign up. Then get the C25K app and start there. It's a great program and is what I used to start.