Smoothies-Protein Shakes

Options
2»

Replies

• DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Made this for the 1st time today and it was pretty yummy!

1 Cup light vanilla soy milk
    2 tsp instant coffee powder
    1 Scoop Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate protein powder
    2 TBL PB2 w/Chocolate (or u can use regular peanut butter and 1/4 tsp of cocoa powder, but PB2 keeps it lower in fat &cals)
    1 packet sweetener of your choice
    1 handful of ice cubes

Add everything to your blender and Enjoy!

I drank the whole thing which filled up my 18oz cup
    My version works out to 235 Cals, 16g Carbs, 4g Fat, 34g Protein
  • kenj13
    kenj13 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Here's a dairy/soy-free smoothie I make everyday:
    1. a banana
    2. 2 tbs. homemade or natural peanut butter (no oils, just nuts!)
    3. 1/2 cup coconut milk
    4. 1 cup frozen berries of your choice (usually I add blueberries, blackberries or a mix)

This mix usually keeps me full for ~ 5-6 hrs., which comes in handy as an on-the-go grad student! ;-)
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    If you decide to try a few new things... This is my post-workout smoothie of this week:

1 cup almond milk (5x protein)
    1/3 cup flavored greek yogurt
    1 cup of frozen berries
    1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder
    a spoonful of ground flax seeds
    a spoonful of oat flour
    a few spinach leaves
    and water for desired thickness
    sometimes I'll add half a ripe banana

What I end up with is a huge refreshing smoothie at only 300-ish calories, lots of protein and little fat, with oats to add in some whole grains and ground flax seeds for more fiber. It'll last you a while during your drive.

More simply though, I like just blending greek yogurt with frozen fruits or berries.
  • gregr072
    gregr072 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of trying some smoothies, I have never done it before.

I have 2 questions though.

1.) Can you make them the night before? Do the refrigerate well? Or do you really need to make them right before you consume.

2.) I hate bananas! Hate them! Any recipes that use bananas, that really hide the flavor?

Thanks!
  • runningwild00
    Options
    I do 1/2 scoop of protein powder, 1/2 to 1 cup blue berries, some ice cubes and 1/2 cup of yogurt.
    Sometimes i swap the fruit, but I have been on a blue berry kick
  • bigmac2054
    bigmac2054 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe I have been doing for a while and really enjoy it
    1/2 C of milk
    1/2 C of orange juice
    1/2 C of raw oatmeal
    1/2 C of yogurt
    1 banana
    1/2 C of frozen mixed fruit
    1/2 C of mixed berries
    Optional: protein, peanut butter or honey

Blend and drink

I drink 3/4 for breakfast and 1/4 as a snack between breakfast and lunch.
  • bigmac2054
    bigmac2054 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes, that was my first post. I generally don't post much, but I was reading as I want to stay strong with my goal.
    My goal is 70 pounds.
    Feel free to add as a friend because one day encouraging yourself may not be enough that day....
  • Bubbl3s25
    Bubbl3s25 Posts: 210
    Options
    Bump for recipes
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

1.) Can you make them the night before? Do the refrigerate well? Or do you really need to make them right before you consume.

2.) I hate bananas! Hate them! Any recipes that use bananas, that really hide the flavor?

Thanks!

I'll let someone else answer you're 1st question, because I've never made a smoothie the night before :smile: But as for your 2nd question, I'm sure you could substitute the banana in any recipe with whatever fruit you like or in some cases leave out the fruit altogether. I like bananas, but I'm not a huge fan of adding them to my smoothies because the flavor sometimes overpowers everything else. I usually just add 1/4 of a banana for alittle added creaminess, but again in my experience I can taste it in the background.
  • Nurse_Christy
    Nurse_Christy Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • This is my first day so i'm looking for good recipes so if anyone has any please share.
    Thanks for all the help i can get
  • helplesslyhappy
    Options
    All of these sound soooooo good.

Some of them I will never make though...just too lazy to get complicated. But I like the ice+bananas+protein powder + sugar free jello mixes..
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I'll let someone else answer you're 1st question, because I've never made a smoothie the night before :smile: But as for your 2nd question, I'm sure you could substitute the banana in any recipe with whatever fruit you like or in some cases leave out the fruit altogether. I like bananas, but I'm not a huge fan of adding them to my smoothies because the flavor sometimes overpowers everything else. I usually just add 1/4 of a banana for alittle added creaminess, but again in my experience I can taste it in the background.

Answer to question #1: You can make a smoothie the night before, however... if you put fruit or veggies that oxidize after being pealed (banana, avocado, apple) the smoothie will turn a weird brown color. As long as you don't wait too long to drink it, you'll be fine. The longer you leave it in the fridge after being made, the browner it gets and starts to not be good. I'd say that over night is the minimum you want to pre-make a smoothie.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes start my day mostly every day. I wake thinking about them and enjoy every drop. Think it's huge help in my weight loss to date and keeps me satisfied for hours. I like almond milk, protein powder, and either fruit, veggies or choc. Pb2. Lots of ice and I add wheat germ.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Basic smoothie

protein powder 1 scoop
    couple ice cubes
    frozen fruit (your choice)
    half banana or 1 whole small
    flax or chia seeds -tablespoon
    liquid-water...I used green tea usually or juice.
  • StephanieGoHerbalife
    Options
    Herbalife shakes are awesome!!!
  • tigermorris
    Options

Thanks!
  • tigermorris
    Options
    Sorry, I am trying to figure out how to reply to the post.

I make smoothies usually for 2 servings at a time and I pour in 2 different cups, I then freeze one, I just put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes on defrost and it is just a little thicker like sherbert. I do use water,not milk, so I don't know how that would work, but I bet it would be the same. I posted earlier what I put in my smoothies, this morning I put spinach leaves in and I could not even tell it was in there, I added it to the strawberries and rasberries.