Squat help

Options
OK - so I'm hoping some of you experts can help me out. I've been doing squats, but I have a really really hard time getting down to parallel without leaning forward a ridiculous amount. I did some reading and looking at videos and asking around at the gym and apparently I've got one of two problems (or both). Very inflexible ankles, and ridiculously long femurs. I'm 5'11 and most of my length is in my legs - and my thighs are disproportionately long compared to my shins (makes me sound a little like a freak doesn't it?) which contributes to that forward lean

I've gotten recommendations on some stretches I can do to get more flexibility in my ankles and I'll keep trying those. In the meantime, some people have said to put some 2.5 or 5 pound weights under my heels during squats. I've tried that and I have to admit that for the the first time the squat actually feels "right". However, I'm not sure that this is a good long term solution. What happens when I start putting more weight on the bar - will I fall over? I've also been told to widen my stance and point my toes out which helps a bit but I still can't get to parallel without a significant forward bend.

So - I would love thoughts on elevating your heels - is this a safe solution? Without elevation, I don't feel like I'm getting the most out of my squats because leaning forward as far as I do with the bar on my back seems like it will hurt my back. I want to get this right!

Replies

• kekpron
    kekpron Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You've gotten good advice so far from what I can see -- I have very tight hamstrings which caused me to have similar range of motion issues when I first started and most of the suggestions you have been given are how I worked around it at the start.

The important thing is that you flesh out getting your form right before you significantly increase your weights. Practice with just the bar every day trying to get a bit lower each time until you can get a good range of motion. Also you may want to try with thin or no shoes (some gyms frown on this...) -- I have heard people say this helped them correct their form (though admittedly it didn't help me at all).
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll keep on doing what I'm doing and just stick with lower weights for a while. I just get so excited to add weights to that bar - but I'll wait until I can get the form better without the lifts under my heels.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i did squats with the help of the TRX straps, for months and months to get proper form before i started doing them on my own. Some people do them a foots distance away from a wall and sit back into the wall for support while they are getting form.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I was a competitive powerlifter for many years. I trained with either weights under my heels or lifting shoes with a significant heel on them. It's perfectly alright. If you increase the weight in smaller (5-10 lb.) increments weekly, you should have no problems.
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was a competitive powerlifter for many years. I trained with either weights under my heels or lifting shoes with a significant heel on them. It's perfectly alright. If you increase the weight in smaller (5-10 lb.) increments weekly, you should have no problems.

Thank you! I've read so many conflicting opinions on this. Like I said before, my posture just feels "right" when I have my heels elevated. I always felt a bit awkward without.