Snack Ideas while on No Pasta/Grain/Sugar two week diet

Options
I'm on day 3 of a two-week diet to help me get off my sugar cravings and help get rid of the remaining 5-6 pounds around the mid-section. It's like the first two weeks of South Beach or Atkins - no pasta, no grains at all, no sugars, and no fruit. So basically, all the protein and veggies I want, and some cheese in moderation. The only issue I'm having is that for snacks, I like the ease of a quick "go to" snack like a piece of fruit or a greek yogurt cup and of course those are not allowed. I've been snacking on a low-fat mozzarella stick or a handful of nuts, but am getting bored already on just the third day. Any suggestions for snacks?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    BBQ pork rinds was my favorite snack on Atkins...
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Maybe some kind of nut butter and celery? I like Kettle Cashew butter :)
  • jule_sea
    jule_sea Posts: 33
    Options
    I do paleo, not by choice, but because I'm allergic to wheat, oats, and dairy, and paleo is the easiest way to research ideas. I like to eat mixed nuts for snack, they are high in calories, but full of protein and healthy fat. Also cucumbers and tuna salad is an awesome snack, really cucumbers and anything on them is awesome.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Jerky
  • paulinegrant01
    paulinegrant01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Paleo Spiced Nuts (Elana's Pantry)

⅔ cup almonds
    ⅔ cup pecans
    ⅔ cup walnuts
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    ½ teaspoon cumin
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Place nuts in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat
    Toast until lightly browned
    While nuts are toasting, prepare spice mixture
    Combine chili, cumin, black pepper and salt in a small bowl
    Coat nuts with olive oil, then coat with spice mixture
    Serve

Serves 4

hard cooked eggs, leftover meat rolled in lettuce w/ fish sauce or mustard, crudites, fruit, smoked salmon, bacon, avocado with salt.
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and ranch, beef jerky, celery and peanut butter, higher fat cottage cheese, string cheese...

There's a few quick snacks that you can have, just make sure you replace those carbs with Fat/Protein!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, nuts, cottage cheese.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Look ahead to two weeks and post diet eating. THEN what? Will you be avoiding these foods for the rest of your life? Probably not.

It's better to just learn how to eat properly and in moderation. I enjoy sugar, fats, carbs, etc, in moderation.

Don't deprive yourself of food choices because of some strict diet. Use common sense, count your calories, and exercise. It's that simple and much less restrictive.
  • tlb905
    tlb905 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks all for the ideas. CrazyTrack, I've been a healthy eater for several years and will continue to do so after these 2 weeks. As I said, I'm just looking to shed a few remaining pounds around the mid section that have been difficult to keep off since hitting age 50 (or 40 for that matter). I work out hard 5 days a week and am not overweight. I just needed to stop the sugar cravings that all the fruit and yogurt I was eating was causing. So when the 2 weeks is up, I'll introduce my fruit and yogurt back slowly and will manage it carefully.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Okay, that's good to hear. I thought maybe another crazy diet trend in the brewing. Not a fan of those crazy, fad, reset diets!

Had a friend try one once -- and she was off of it after three weeks. Oh, and even though she wasn't allowed sugar, she decided it was perfectly okay to substitute sugar free Red Bull with her vodka. Truth.

Uh, huh.