Depression

Options
Hey,
Does anyone know if weightloss is supposed to be related to depression? It seems like when I start to loose, my depression symptoms come on strong. It seems that if I'm losing weight I should be HAPPIER!!! THis happened last time (a few years ago when I went on LA Weightloss and I started a new job at the same time... I thought it was the job. but now I'm not so sure.) Don't get me wrong... my life is so full of activity and responsibility, I'm totally stressed, so that could be it, but it just seems to follow the weight-loss cycle, too! I guess "Fat, dumb and happy" could have a whole new meaning! :)

Replies

• durbanski
    durbanski Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would talk to a professional. I could guess its your body's response to not getting its usual food endorphins.. Do you get a hight after working out?
  • laughing_fire
    Options
    It could be because you're under stress. I mean, when you force yourself to change your habits, it can stress you out mentally. When you do something that you're not used to doing it causes a bit of anguish and could cause you to get depressed. If you're really worried about it, I would check with a doctor. I do recall a doctor testing my thyroid because it can be a factor in depression and the thyroid helps regulate metabolism (don't quote me on this, I'm not a doctor).

Still I would see a doctor, get them to test your thyroid and see what they have to say.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen "Supersize Me?" He felt bad all the time, except after he ate he got this kind of high and felt great. It has been proven that food can produce an endorphin-like effect, and now you aren't indulging like you did, so your mood is down. It could be that you seek food for comfort when you are feeling down, and now that "old friend" is gone and you are left to fend for yourself. Look for more positive things to focus on and try to push through it--you will slowly remodel your thinking and won't miss that bad food at all!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It could be because you're under stress. I mean, when you force yourself to change your habits, it can stress you out mentally. When you do something that you're not used to doing it causes a bit of anguish and could cause you to get depressed. If you're really worried about it, I would check with a doctor. I do recall a doctor testing my thyroid because it can be a factor in depression and the thyroid helps regulate metabolism (don't quote me on this, I'm not a doctor).

Still I would see a doctor, get them to test your thyroid and see what they have to say.

This is very good advice. Get your blood levels checked to make sure levels are within a normal range. Your doctor should listen carefully to your depression symptoms. Good luck and take care! :heart: