Les Mills BodyPump or BodyCombat?

Options
Hey guys,

This week I got a little bored of my usual running, elliptical, and strength routine; so I decided to take advantage of the group exercise classes they offer at my YMCA. I did spin yesterday.
I haven't tried any of the Les Mills classes yet, but i've heard rave reviews. Both BodyCombat and BodyPump are offered tonight.
Any suggestions on which one to go with? =]

Replies

• jessvolpe
    jessvolpe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love the Les Mills classes! Body Pump is weight training based and Body Combat is martial arts/kickboxing/karate based. It really depends on your preference but both are great!
  • CourtAtkins
    CourtAtkins Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is pretty much the same as what my gym calls Group Power and Body Combat is the same as our Group Kick (it looks like at least). Both are really good classes and like someone already mentioned; body pump is weight based (it'll work any and all muscle groups, typically, in a one hour class) and body combat is basically a cardio kickboxing class (typically and with a good instructor, will push you pretty hard). Both are a lot of fun and both, if done correctly, will make you hurt the next day...but in a good way!
  • CourtAtkins
    CourtAtkins Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oops...it posted twice :noway:
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do like Les Mills classes at my gym, enough that in prepping for my move I'm scoping out what gyms have them in the new location.

BodyCombat is good, though not a favorite of mine. Good calorie burn and strength development for me.

BodyPump I really love. I've seen great improvements in my strength and muscle tone with it. None of the sets go on too long, but if you're using enough weight they really, really push you.
  • ExNihil0
    ExNihil0 Posts: 60
    Options
    I won the video series for body combat. It's fun. The class may be different, but going off the vids....Combatfitness ftw!
  • carriej82
    carriej82 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love body pump! it is a great workout! I even bought the Les Mills version for home for when I can't get to the Y!
  • gmac1124
    gmac1124 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do both BodyPump and BodyCombat classes at my gym, they are LOADS of fun and a great workout - my Nike Fuel Band typically indicates I burn about 600-700 calories during Combat (typically about 400 with Pump, but it is not as accurate for that type of exercise). The music is great and new releases come out every 3 months or so. You can go to lesmills.com for more information on the classes.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Body pump got me interested in lifting. I still like it a lot - when I can I will do 2 heavy lifting sessions on my own and hit a pump class for a 3rd strength day. And I tell you what - I'm often more sore after pump; it's just different doing lower weights for soooo many reps.

Body combat - addicted. At first I wasn't all that crazy about it but now I love it, and it's a tremendous workout. That's where I get my biggest burns by far, though it's pretty anaerobic because it's that intense.

Good instructors make a huge difference in my opinion. Give them a try!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Love Body Combat!

At my highest weight of 212 and taking that class I literally left crying like- I can't do this- I'm too huge. I got confused easily at the moves, thought it was too quick paced, and over all overwhelmed.

BUT, I showed up for the next class and stuck with it and loved it! I felt more comfortable the second time around, then after awhile I couldn't wait to show up for class because it was my favorite.

I'm not sure of your fitness level, but if you feel overwhelmed by all the activity- don't give up- focus on doing the move correctly vs. at the same pace as everyone else. All the Les Mills classes go to the beat of the music- like instructors- listen to it for cues to change it will help eventually keep pace. But most of all- have fun with it :)
  • ECatherineS
    Options
    Thank you guys!
    From looking at the schedule of classes I think i'll be doing Combat tonight and then Pump tomorrow morning!
    I'm really active but i've never done anything class wise. I was able to keep up in spin last night but It definitely kick my *kitten*. I can't wait to go to class now! =]
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Les Mills Classes are absolutely fantastic!!! I would never work out that hard and burn that many calories in an hour if I didn't do those classes...

Here is the list of them in my preference and what I personally tend to burn..(.please note, I am only petite so burn less than what is probably average even though I work my butt off :P)

Body step (400 calories)
    Body attack (450 calories)
    RPM (250 calories)
    Pump (around 200-250 calories....this is hard to measure because it is weight based)

Sadly, my gym doesnt offer combat :( but I wish it did! I used to do it years ago!!! If I could put it on the list, it would be up there in the region with step and attack.

pump is at the bottom of the list for a few reasons; it burns the least calories, and you get no real muscle growth from it because its low weights with lots of repititions, so it is really almost considered a cardio work out, in which case I would rather do one of the other classes and burn double the calories and theyre lots of fun! Weight lifting is important, however lifting heavy with low reps leaves pump for dead!!! so I don't even bother with pump....a waste of an hour in my opinion!! It is a very popular class though....and good for those new to weight lifting to work on their form with an instructor watching etc...

Have fun!
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I see you mentioned you have a strength routine, if that is the case then don't bother with Pump. Definitely, definitely go to Combat! Then go back again, and again, and again...

Don't be discouraged if you feel like an idiot and like you don't know what the heck you are doing. Be sure to go back a few more times (at least), most of us feel that way at first.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

pump is at the bottom of the list for a few reasons; it burns the least calories, and you get no real muscle growth from it because its low weights with lots of repititions, so it is really almost considered a cardio work out, in which case I would rather do one of the other classes and burn double the calories and theyre lots of fun! Weight lifting is important, however lifting heavy with low reps leaves pump for dead!!! so I don't even bother with pump....a waste of an hour in my opinion!! It is a very popular class though....and good for those new to weight lifting to work on their form with an instructor watching etc...

Have fun!

^Yep^
  • ECatherineS
    Options
    Les Mills Classes are absolutely fantastic!!! I would never work out that hard and burn that many calories in an hour if I didn't do those classes...

Here is the list of them in my preference and what I personally tend to burn..(.please note, I am only petite so burn less than what is probably average even though I work my butt off :P)

Body step (400 calories)
    Body attack (450 calories)
    RPM (250 calories)
    Pump (around 200-250 calories....this is hard to measure because it is weight based)

Sadly, my gym doesnt offer combat :( but I wish it did! I used to do it years ago!!! If I could put it on the list, it would be up there in the region with step and attack.

Have fun!

Thank you for the input on pump and also the estimates!

I'm 5'6.5" with a curvy/slender build so hopefully i'll be burning if not more than the same! =]
  • ECatherineS
    Options
    I see you mentioned you have a strength routine, if that is the case then don't bother with Pump. Definitely, definitely go to Combat! Then go back again, and again, and again...

Don't be discouraged if you feel like an idiot and like you don't know what the heck you are doing. Be sure to go back a few more times (at least), most of us feel that way at first.

Thanks! I'd heard it was good for toning but I wasn't sure how much since I do have a 3x a week strength routine already. I'm going early to make sure I have a spot in the back, I'm certain I feel like an idiot at first! haha I'm used to it though, I still nearly fall off the elliptical once or twice a week! hah!
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yep well you probably would burn more as I'm only 5 foot and weight 108 pounds (49kg) but calorie burn also depends on fitness level (the more fit you are, the less you burn, meaning you have to work harder to get the same burn you did a month ago etc)

If you're interested in knowing what you burn, you should get a polar heart rate monitor! I never work out without mine =)
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think this may be a matter of "it varies". I did heavy lifting weights for a year and didn't see a lot of improvement in my weight amount or the look in my muscles, I made some improvement but not a huge amount. Whereas with BodyPump I've seen a huge improvement in 6 months.
  • ECatherineS
    Options
    Yep well you probably would burn more as I'm only 5 foot and weight 108 pounds (49kg) but calorie burn also depends on fitness level (the more fit you are, the less you burn, meaning you have to work harder to get the same burn you did a month ago etc)

If you're interested in knowing what you burn, you should get a polar heart rate monitor! I never work out without mine =)

More than likely. haha I'm fit but i've still got a bit of improving to do. I've been thinking about getting a HRM, I guess I should really start looking into it! Thanks for the brand suggestion! I used to stay away from group classes because I hated not know exactly what I was burning. I religiously stuck to the treadmills and ellipticals that I could type my weight in and have measure my heartrate. It was pretty ridiculous. hah
  • ECatherineS
    Options
    I think this may be a matter of "it varies". I did heavy lifting weights for a year and didn't see a lot of improvement in my weight amount or the look in my muscles, I made some improvement but not a huge amount. Whereas with BodyPump I've seen a huge improvement in 6 months.

I will definitely be trying the Pump class also. I've been doing the strength training for 5 weeks now and I definitely see a difference but I'd like to mix it up. A woman who works at my Y said she lost 2 inches off her waist from that class so I can't argue with results like those! =]
  • crazihel
    crazihel Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    BOTH! I do them both, one after the other. Combat is heart-racing cardio, whereas pump focuses on muscle strength, but not necessarily on bulking up muscle. I love them both as they are good fun, but very different!