For real? Does this seem right?

Options
13»

Replies

• JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I ate my 1700 calories yesterday. Went to the gym and lifted some weights and then got on the elliptical for 250 calorie burn. I have to admit I feel pretty good today and it was alot easier trying to eat 1700 calories than 1200. I even enjoyed a cup of chocolate milk after my work out. Tonight is Insanity Pure Cardio, I should have more than enough energy for it.

Way to go!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I started at 159lbs and I currently weigh in at 137lbs. According to my TDEE my calorie intake is also around 1700 but I'm averaging daily between 1550 - 1700. Remember, you don't 'need' to eat 1700 every single day. There are days I eat 1500 and days I eat 1800 but a weekly average is the key. I treat myself one meal a week so I like to 'save' calories to use on these meals.

I'm at the very end of Insanity now, 3 days left and since we are the same height and approximately the same weight, I can tell you I burn around 450 - 580kcal per Insanity work out. On days where slower workouts are scheduled, like Core Balance or Recovery days, I burn around 250 - 280.

I did the 1200kcal a day thing when I first joined MFP and I did lose weight but I was tired and cranky plus my weight loss came to a stop after about 3 months. Eating more definitely helps!

Hope this helps. xx
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    5'2 158lbs. I want to get down to at least 130 but more worried about looking thinner than actually weighing less. I did the Scooby calculation TDEE -20% puts me at about 1700 calories a day. 1700!! I'm only 5'2. UGH I have to wrap my brain around this. I want to believe it and I want to do it but I am so scared. I did the 1200 calorie diet. I lost 50lbs but it SUCKED.

I am lifting weights 3 days a week and on those days doing 25 mins on the elliptical - steady pace, covered with sweat when I am done. Then opposite of those days I am doing insanity. I feel like I'm burning 1000 calories but realistically probably 300 or so.

So what do you think 1700 a day?? I'm so afraid to do this for a week and then weigh myself next week and find that I've gained instead of lost. Please help convince me.

I see posts like this every day. An people always give stats like this, but never offer the information of how long have you been doing this?

1 week? 4 weeks? 6 months? 1 year?

Time is a major factor in body re-composition.

Someone posted about Insanity so Ill use those infomercials as an example. Many of those programs are 60-90 days. And those are extreme. So thats about 12-13 weeks a good 3 months of your life. And a little hint in case many people didnt know. Many of the before or after pics of those people you see are not after 90 days. They are after doing the program 2, 3, and 4 times. For over 6 months or more. (Results may vary) :laugh:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is so different I think the only way to find what works for you sometimes is trial and error! The math says that number is correct for you...I would say give it a try for a week and see how you feel. One week won't set you back so far that it's impossible to get back.

I would actually give it more like a month.

If it doesn't work for her, she could end up putting on quite a few pounds.

OP continue weighing and measuring, but if you start to put the pounds on, that you were not having happen before, then definitely rethink, do not just wait and hope it will suddenly work, because it will not.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    5'2 158lbs. I want to get down to at least 130 but more worried about looking thinner than actually weighing less. I did the Scooby calculation TDEE -20% puts me at about 1700 calories a day. 1700!! I'm only 5'2. UGH I have to wrap my brain around this. I want to believe it and I want to do it but I am so scared. I did the 1200 calorie diet. I lost 50lbs but it SUCKED.

I am lifting weights 3 days a week and on those days doing 25 mins on the elliptical - steady pace, covered with sweat when I am done. Then opposite of those days I am doing insanity. I feel like I'm burning 1000 calories but realistically probably 300 or so.

So what do you think 1700 a day?? I'm so afraid to do this for a week and then weigh myself next week and find that I've gained instead of lost. Please help convince me.

I see posts like this every day. An people always give stats like this, but never offer the information of how long have you been doing this?

1 week? 4 weeks? 6 months? 1 year?

Time is a major factor in body re-composition.

Someone posted about Insanity so Ill use those infomercials as an example. Many of those programs are 60-90 days. And those are extreme. So thats about 12-13 weeks a good 3 months of your life. And a little hint in case many people didnt know. Many of the before or after pics of those people you see are not after 90 days. They are after doing the program 2, 3, and 4 times. For over 6 months or more. (Results may vary) :laugh:

It took me about 9 months to lose my first 50lbs doing the 1200 calories and working out 3 days a week. Then I got lazy for a year and put on 20lbs. I've been doing my 6 day a week workout consistently for almost a month now. Insanity is a 60 day program but I'm only doing it 3 days a week so It'll take me longer to finish the whole thing which I'm totally okay with. I did it before and the 6 days a week nearly killed me (not literally but I was very tired and irritated).

I upped my calories to 1700 just this week.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I started at 159lbs and I currently weigh in at 137lbs. According to my TDEE my calorie intake is also around 1700 but I'm averaging daily between 1550 - 1700. Remember, you don't 'need' to eat 1700 every single day. There are days I eat 1500 and days I eat 1800 but a weekly average is the key. I treat myself one meal a week so I like to 'save' calories to use on these meals.

I'm at the very end of Insanity now, 3 days left and since we are the same height and approximately the same weight, I can tell you I burn around 450 - 580kcal per Insanity work out. On days where slower workouts are scheduled, like Core Balance or Recovery days, I burn around 250 - 280.

I did the 1200kcal a day thing when I first joined MFP and I did lose weight but I was tired and cranky plus my weight loss came to a stop after about 3 months. Eating more definitely helps!

Hope this helps. xx

Thank you! So glad to read success stories from people with the same stats as me. I will keep in mind about saving my calories because I do enjoy eating a little more on the weekends.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    I get myself confused.....so if I follow Scooby's TDEE -20%, I am not attempting to eat back any exercise calories? Is that correct?

From what I understand that is correct. The TDEE -20% takes into account your activity level...whatever that may be. I still log my exercises just because it feels good to do, but I dont eat those calories back. So if I'm understanding it correctly I'm eating 1700 a day and burning like 300 so I'm netting 1400? Not sure I completely understand it yet myself.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    It took me about 9 months to lose my first 50lbs doing the 1200 calories and working out 3 days a week. Then I got lazy for a year and put on 20lbs. I've been doing my 6 day a week workout consistently for almost a month now. Insanity is a 60 day program but I'm only doing it 3 days a week so It'll take me longer to finish the whole thing which I'm totally okay with. I did it before and the 6 days a week nearly killed me (not literally but I was very tired and irritated).

I upped my calories to 1700 just this week.

I feel that what you are describing is probably more common than you think. I never finished Insanity either because it just beat my body up too much. And same here.....lost a lot, then stopped, then started up again months later. The good news is we are both back!

Also as far as increasing your calories, this also sounds good. Maybe you might want to think about ZigZagging them as well? Like for your crazy insanity days even up it to 1850? I zig zag mine and its made difference. I was stalled a 0 lbs loss for a couple weeks, ever since I lose 1-2lbs a week now. I usually eat pizza a day or two before a big cardio day. :)

If you can, invest in a HRM to get a more accurate reading of the calories burned doing Insanity or other activity you want to measure. Its not perfect, but its the best we can probably afford. Before I got my HRM I was just guessing, now I feel that having that extra info can help me make better decisions about how much more fuel I do or do not need to eat.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the SAME thing. Each month I try something different. I do strength training 3 times a week. I noticed when I eat more the strength training is easier and I can lift heavier weights.

Also, I overate on Saturday, Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. I ate 2000 calories on each day. My goal was to stick around 1500 cals for March. Tuesday morning strength training was so easy! I ate 1500 cals on Wednesday. I stood on the scale today and it was reading a lot lower than last week.

I stood on the scale on Monday and it said 158. Last week I was around 155. That was scary to see it go up, but this morning (Thursday) it said 150.. I'm not sure if that is right. Maybe there is something to this "eat more" thing. I don't know. I'm going to stick with 1500 cals in March and see what happens.

But I do believe in increasing slowly. Try a couple of different things and see what works for you. I do not eat my exercise calories. You and I have the same goals! Good Luck :)
  • barbbeekman
    barbbeekman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I get myself confused.....so if I follow Scooby's TDEE -20%, I am not attempting to eat back any exercise calories? Is that correct?

Correct, your TDEE already includes your exercise as long as you put in into the formula.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    UPDATE - 1 week of 1700 calories. I haven't lost anything but I haven't gained either. So thats good news!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    UPDATE - 1 week of 1700 calories. I haven't lost anything but I haven't gained either. So thats good news!
    Excellent!
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    UPDATE - week 2. No change =(
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    You need to give it at least 4 weeks. Lifting, cardio and insanity is a lot and you're fueling your body better. Personally I wouldn't weigh for 2 more weeks. How do you feel? Do you notice any difference mentally or physically?
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    You need to give it at least 4 weeks. Lifting, cardio and insanity is a lot and you're fueling your body better. Personally I wouldn't weigh for 2 more weeks. How do you feel? Do you notice any difference mentally or physically?

I feel great! A little tired by the end of the week but I also work alot and have 2 kids so thats expected anyways but I am getting through the workouts pretty well and sleeping good at night.

Mentally it is getting a little easier so I may start doing Insanity 4 days a week and the gym 2 days a week to change it up a bit. Thursday is my measure day so I will post my update on that later in the week.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    UPDATE I have lost 2 lbs. Very pleased this morning! Although this process is like watching paint dry I'm very happy things are moving along finally.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! As the others said, keep at it!!!