How can I eat almost 1800 calories and still feel hungry?

Options

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    On eating a small carby breakfast....

This was actually the biggest change I made in my life - eating protein and healthy fat for breakfast instead of oatmeal - I find I can get through to lunchtime, or 2pm very easy if I have a good solid protein start - oatmeal and I am ravenous by 11am....
    [/quote]
  • helenling
    helenling Posts: 10
    Options
    I think you feel hungry because of your percentage body fat is close to 10%. At 5'1" and 99 lbs you are probably too thin. I remember a report that says if you go below 15 or 20% it's natural for your cells to feel hungry all the time. It's part of the ghrenlin and leptin hormones controlling your appetite. Good luck!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I work a lot better on my high protein and fat breakfast than I do on a carbon intensive breakfast. Maybe try changing it for a while and see what happens
  • jett254
    jett254 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think you feel hungry because of your percentage body fat is close to 10%. At 5'1" and 99 lbs you are probably too thin. I remember a report that says if you go below 15 or 20% it's natural for your cells to feel hungry all the time. It's part of the ghrenlin and leptin hormones controlling your appetite. Good luck!

I calculated my body fat percentage several ways and I believe I'm right around 15-16% and the very low end of healthy. I'm definitely not trying to be unhealthy. But I'm also definitely trying to maintain and not lose any additional weight.
  • jett254
    Options
    I work a lot better on my high protein and fat breakfast than I do on a carbon intensive breakfast. Maybe try changing it for a while and see what happens

I'm going to try that - I'll switch to a Hungry Girl egg mug starting tomorrow and see how that is!
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually have a volume problem, too. So I will grab some raw almonds (good fat and calories) with my carrorts or other veggie. This way my stomach and mind are both 'full'. I would agree with finding good ways to add healthy fat, it will keep you full. Good luck!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more, and holy crap eat more fat!!! a) you need it, and b) it'll keep you satiated longer. Dietary fat does not equal body fat.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    Your goal is 2300 calories, you are active... you burn it off! Your metabolism is burning the food you eat to give you energy for all the activities you do. EAT MORE! the foods you choose are healthy and well rounded... Needless to say, enjoy it! You probably need to add 1/2 meals or snacks more through your day to keep your energy levels up and stave off the hunger pains...
    i agree, you have a high metabolism and require more calories
  • jett254
    Options
    Your goal is 2300 calories, you are active... you burn it off! Your metabolism is burning the food you eat to give you energy for all the activities you do. EAT MORE! the foods you choose are healthy and well rounded... Needless to say, enjoy it! You probably need to add 1/2 meals or snacks more through your day to keep your energy levels up and stave off the hunger pains...
    i agree, you have a high metabolism and require more calories

I thought I was eating more - I calculated my TDEE at around 1800 and have been eating close to that. I thought that when you did the TDEE method, you ignore exercise since it is factored in. Or should I be over-riding my TDEE with the bodymedia readings?
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I know that I am not answering your question, I was planning to but I got distracted by your stats. You weigh 99 pounds? That's only 7 stone...I know that you are only 5'1 but surely you cannot be overweight? I am just a bit worried..... Maybe that's why you are so hungry, because your body simply needs more food? Sorry if I've got this totally wrong but it was just my initial thought fx
  • jett254
    Options
    I know that I am not answering your question, I was planning to but I got distracted by your stats. You weigh 99 pounds? That's only 7 stone...I know that you are only 5'1 but surely you cannot be overweight? I am just a bit worried..... Maybe that's why you are so hungry, because your body simply needs more food? Sorry if I've got this totally wrong but it was just my initial thought fx

I'm not overweight - I'm at my goal and in maintenance. According to all of the calculators I've used, I have a healthy body fat % (right at the minimum of healthy) and a healthy weight (again, right at the bottom end of normal).

From CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/results_normal.html?pounds=99&inches=61

Height: 5 feet, 1 inches
    Weight: 99 pounds

Your BMI is 18.7, indicating your weight is in the Normal category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 98 to 132 pounds.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would add a bit more fat. Even 30 grams might do it for you but more than that would be ok as long as you feel ok.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling you have worked out your TDEE incorrectly perhaps by the activity level you put in. What did you choose for it? j

I'm 47yrs old, 5'2 and with working out just 5 times a week I have a TDEE of around 1900-2000 so that is why I think yours is incorrect. You are younger and work out more right? You need to work out your TDEE and eat at that for a while and see what happens. Do eat more healthy fats too or your hormones will be affected.

Here is a link for you to work out your TDEE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Edited to add that my burns are only 200-300 a day not like your 600-700 ones!
  • jett254
    Options
    I have a feeling you have worked out your TDEE incorrectly perhaps by the activity level you put in. What did you choose for it? j

I'm 47yrs old, 5'2 and with working out just 5 times a week I have a TDEE of around 1900-2000 so that is why I think yours is incorrect. You are younger and work out more right? You need to work out your TDEE and eat at that for a while and see what happens. Do eat more healthy fats too or your hormones will be affected.

Here is a link for you to work out your TDEE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Edited to add that my burns are only 200-300 a day not like your 600-700 ones!

Thanks! Using my HRM, my burns are 200-400 per day from exercising and I work out 5-6 days per week. The 600-700 thing on my diary which is making it look weird is from the bodymedia fit which is accounting for the burn it is determining for my whole day, but since I also put in my exercise calories, it is double-counting it and making it look higher than it is. My TDEE is 1855 using "moderate exercise" and 2064 using heavy exercise. I had set my goal to 1750-1800 to account for the little extras I don't count which probably add up to 100 calories or so.

I would agree with those that say I should try to up the fat - I had noticed it was low and I was wondering if upping that might help. It wasn't low from trying to avoid fat but more from trying to maximize volume in my calories....
  • jett254
    Options
    p.s. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It really helps to get input from people using MFP who are used to analyzing this stuff. I've bounced ideas off of my husband but he didn't know the answers. I also really appreciate the lack of judgement. I realize that my weight is at the low end of normal at this point and I want to emphasize - I'm happy with my weight now - I completely am not trying to lose weight (but at the same time, I don't think I look underweight either - 5'1'' is short).
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I still think you should be on probably 200 more per day. Anyway if your weight starts dropping more you'll have to up it somewhat. Best wishes.
  • ISABELBEARD
    Options
    theres some good tips on here
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    What's happening with your weight now? Is it stable?

If you are using the BMF, you should be going with what it says, not any other calculator. While it can't be 100% accurate, it knows more about you than you can input anywhere online.

It took me ages to accept that my TDEE is way over what any calculator would predict. At around 125lb I could lose on 2400kcal a day, just living my normal life (I walk everywhere and am bouncy by nature). Please do try eating more if you are hungry.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    the problem is when are you consuming your fats, proteins and carbs. try eating 1/3 of your daily fat and carb intake for breakfast. this will allow your body to release slow sustained energy throughout the day which prevents you from thinking about food and being hungry. drink plenty of water and eat lots of vegetables because vegetables are mainly water weight but be careful, some vegetables are high in carbs so stick with cucumbers, spinach, brocolli, celery

also, if you are not strapped for cash, i would invest in a fat burner. it suppreses hunger. hope this helps
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bump - great tips. I am 4'11" and I am also trying to figure out my real TDEE.