Cheat Day??

Options
2»

Replies

• jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I don't really like the terms cheating, or "being naughty", or anything that puts a negative connotation on eating. To me these things signify "diet", and I'm not on a diet, I'm on a new way of life - If you look at it from a lifestyle change point of view, those things just don't make much sense. Eating better should be a lifelong thing, and become routine, and hopefully (eventually) won't be a daily struggle. So if you're eating healthy overall, and you want a cheeseburger (or anything else) one day, than eat a cheeseburger - just work it off afterwards or adjust your day otherwise 4 out of 5 meals being healthy in a day is ok.

I would also say eventually you won't want that stuff anymore - I already don't like coke anymore, and I didn't stop drinking it for any reason - just because I liked tea better. I also ordered a pizza today, and it was the first time ever I wished I didn't eat a pizza - it was just unsatisfying and slightly disturbing.

People who live healthy lifestyles "naturally" probably don't sit around saying "Oh, I can only eat cake on Friday"....they just incorporate healthy decisions overall to make less healthy food ok every once in awhile. You really have to think about whats going to happen when you reach your goal - what you're doing today, should be something you're able to continue at that point, and forever, or else you'll be lost and won't know what to do. Are you doing to do cheat days for the rest of your life?

Annnddd I don't believe in rewarding yourself with food (partly for the reasons above)....a cheat day says "If i'm good all week, I can splurge Friday" and turns your motivation to the cheat day rather than being motivated because you're doing a very good thing for yourself. Intrinsic motivators seem to work out the best usually =)

However, I suppose if you're having a hard time starting off and its impossible for you to resist cravings, a cheat day might be a better alternative because without one you wouldn't have a real rule and might splurge everyday.

I definitely agree. I don't "cheat." I'm trying to just live healthy and make healthy responsible choices. For Easter I visited family and they had the usual high-calorie spread. I focused in on the veggies and only a little of the fatty meat. I steered clear of the really high-cal desserts and just tried to enjoy myself and relax. It wasn't hard because now knowing how disgusting these foods actually are is just disturbing.

On the same note, I still get cravings. I find myself dying for pizza or Mexican etc. Well, as part of this being a lifestyle I don't want to just deprive myself. Because is that really sustainable for life? No. So I'll eat my pizza. Or my tacos or desserts. But to offset it I try to make healthy decisions all day. I make sure I get a good workout in, drink lots of water to offset salt, etc.

"Naturally" healthy people don't deprive themselves of the occasional treat. They also don't eat perfectly healthy for a week and then splurge on one day. It's a balancing act that just takes time. In the end, the trick is to not let food rule your life by it being something you want, something you can't have, or something you have to eat.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have one or two meals a week that I allow myself to eat what I want. It could be pizza and beer, it could be a yummy dinner at the Indian/Moroccan restaurant, etc. etc. I also indulge in one sweet treat per week (usually ice cream). I find these indulgences help me get through the rest of the week when I am below maintenance, and do not impact upon my overall goal for weight loss. I guess it also helps that I am not in a rush to lose some crazy amount of weight in a short period of time. I want to see results but I am OK if its only a half pound a week.

There was a period of time that I wasn't as in control and my 1 or 2 meals turned into a weekend of indulgences, and that didn't work. But now that I am being smarter about my weight loss journey, I've eliminated that habit and the scale is changing again.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I "schedule" a cheat MEAL every once and while. Typically every 2-3 weeks. If I plan a date to have a cheat meal, I don't feel guilty about it. Sometimes just knowing that I can have whatever I want in a week or two, really helps, especially when I have cravings. I definitely don't suggest a cheat day, but instead a cheat meal. Eat whatever you want, as much as you want at a single meal. (But over, over, overindulge and make yourself sick!) And I actually do exercise a bit more on my cheat meal days, but only a bit. Having a cheat meal can confuse your metabolism and restart weight loss. But, it doesn't work for everybody. I've known people to have cheat meals 2-3 times a week or once a week and still lose weight. It really just depends on you and your metabolism.
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I started this almost 2 months ago I too decided to do a cheat day once a week. I don't know if I should have waited until I was more established or what but my cheat days lead into more cheat days and on week two I totally quit. So I say if your gonna do it do it with caution. Your probably stronger than I am but when I started AGAIN a couple of weeks ago I decided to skip the once a week cheat day, I maybe try it again later when im really feeling like I can handle it without throwing it all away.