SHIN SPLINTS!! Can't stop treading because of it..ADVICE.

Options
2»

Replies

• sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I hate shin splints! One of my friends who is a runner got them so bad that she had to stop running for a month... Luckily, I never got to that point. What I found to help was a day or two of rest. You don't have to stop working out, but give the treadmill a break for a little bit. Use an elliptical, arch trainer, do strength training, etc. Ice and anti-inflammatory pain medication can help. The big thing for me though, was getting new shoes. I've read in many places to have at least 2 pair of shoes to cycle through. Just like you need rest, so do your shoes. I still get soreness in my shins, but nothing close to the pain that I had before.
  • Train2fitness
    Train2fitness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are normally caused by poorly chosen footwear, or how you run.
    Ease the swelling by freezing water in a plastic cup with a lollypop stick inside, then massage the area in a circular motion with the ice lolly.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Are you running or doing another workout? They tend to get worse. I've found that epsom salt baths works wonders for that type of thing especially my sprains. Also ice them after you work out to prevent inflammation. If the shin splints get to bad though, the ligaments will start to tear away. I've gotten these bad though from running and now I learned to run better and I can run without shin splints. So maybe check your form tooo.
  • Lostone31
    Lostone31 Posts: 57
    Options
    Funny thing is we learn how to do every sport we have to participate in, yet when it comes to running we believe we need no instruction.

I think others have alluded to not heel striking I believe this is the number one cause of shin splints... next is probably not keeping your feet under you as you land. I used to only be able to run 10minutes at a time due to shin splints... it magically went away when I changed from heel striking and kept my feet under myself.
  • smilingdaisies
    smilingdaisies Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice! It isn't my shoes...I wear Nike Shox..they are the ONLY shoes that don't hurt my feet when treading. I think it is the focus of how I'm landing. I REALLY have to focus a lot. I was having trouble with my knees (which I was recently diagnosed with 'barely noticeable' arthritis) so I was focusing on my knees so much I probably have neglected paying attention to my land. I will keep you posted. :D
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    bumping for reading later
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different experience. Here's mine.

Proper shoes
    Stretching
    Never had ANY benefit from Epsom salts or ice
    Had one therapeutic massage that d@mned near killed me but it might have been beneficial

Above all do NOT try to run through the pain. I tried it and was nearly nauseous from the pain after 2 miles. So I gotta think that was bad.

Give it a rest. Do something else - cycling or something. Start back with walks after a week. Then gradually add miles.

And if it hurts - CHANGE something.

Good luck.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I've been there. You can't run with shin splints and expect them to heal, my doctor said shin splints can take longer to heal than a broken bone [and I found that to be true].

Ice, wrap and rest those shins. Don't run on the treadmill----get into the pool with a running vest and run there until they heal--3-4 weeks, if you are lucky. Working out in the pool is as effective as on the treadmill [I've trained for marathons in the pool when I've had to].

After you have gotten rid of them prevent them from returning:
    1) if you have high arches, get good running shoes with cushioning--but still lightweight.
    2) Pay attention, stop running when it starts up
    3) You can get rid of shin splints---I did and now run on treadmill and trail [but never the sidewalk or cement].

Hang in there!
  • Mairijo
    Mairijo Posts: 1
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts so you've probably got this advice already. If you have shin splints, it's best to rest up until better or it will just get worse and you'll end up having to take a whole week or more off. Get new running shoes, good ones (I like Mizuno) and change them every 400k or so depending on your weight. Cold shower on legs after exercise and cold gel help lots too. Eventually your legs will get used to it if you keep your footwear in good order.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It isn't my shoes...I wear Nike Shox..they are the ONLY shoes that don't hurt my feet when treading.

Just because they aren't hurting your feet doesn't meant that they may not be the reason for your shin splints, especially if they are old, well-worn, and/or breaking down. (I realize they may be new, but this is something to keep in mind for the future.) You should replace your shoes after every 500 or so miles ran. Sometimes less, sometimes more depending on the shoes. My last pair of running shoes are still very comfortable, but I know they're too worn down to use for running. I still wear them for walking though.
  • smilingdaisies
    smilingdaisies Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It isn't my shoes...I wear Nike Shox..they are the ONLY shoes that don't hurt my feet when treading.

Just because they aren't hurting your feet doesn't meant that they may not be the reason for your shin splints, especially if they are old, well-worn, and/or breaking down. (I realize they may be new, but this is something to keep in mind for the future.) You should replace your shoes after every 500 or so miles ran. Sometimes less, sometimes more depending on the shoes. My last pair of running shoes are still very comfortable, but I know they're too worn down to use for running. I still wear them for walking though.

Well, they are new and I only wear them on the treadmill. I do replace my shoes and make sure they fit perfectly for how I use them. I really focused on my landing yesterday and stretched using the 'trace the alphabet with your feet' and no pain at all. It leaves me to the conclusion that it was form and inadequate stretching.