Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I just use the preflavored packs...I know that makes me less of a human to some here...
    Me too.

LOL!

I personally don't like the consistency of the instant/flavored packs. It always seemed pasty to me. Maybe I made it wrong.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    You can actually bake kickin' muffins with just oatmeal or oat flour (oatmeal that you ran through the blender). Check out the low cal blueberry muffin recipe in the Recipe section.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I just cook steel cut oats and mix 2 servings with 1 serving 2% Fage Yogurt.
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    I LOVE OATS!!! Ahem. Here are some ideas. I don't usually make my oatmeal with dairy milk - I like to use rice milk, sometimes almond milk or even just water.

-*Wild* blueberries and real maple syrup is A-mazing! My all-time favorite. I make this one with rice milk.
    -Cinnamon overload with ground flax seeds, chopped nuts and dried fruit.
    -Chopped strawberries, shredded coconut, orange juice and zest.
    -Chopped banana with natural peanut butter. You can also cook your banana a bit to get a more caramelized flavor. To take it a step further, if you're looking to treat yourself and are a chocoholic, add a few dark-chocolate chips in there right after cooking the oatmeal so they start to melt. But this is bordering being a dessert, haha.

-For an actual recipe, here's an apple oatmeal recipe that's solely sweetened by applejuice - very tasty:
    Ingredients: 2 sweet apples (peeled, cored, and finely chopped), 4 cups (1L carton) pure apple juice, 1 1/2 cups water, 2 2/3 cups quick cooking oats, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, 1/3 cup raisins, 1 tbsp ground flax seeds (optional), 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional), 1/2 tablespoon real vanilla extract.
    Directions: In a pot, combine apples, apple juice, oats, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly (it has a tendency to stick to the bottom, so be careful), then remove from heat. Stir in the raisins, ground flax seeds, honey/ maple syrup and vanilla. Cover and let stand for a dozen minutes. It will keep thickening for a while, so add water to your preferred consistency. You can also sub some of the water for more apple juice if you wanted sweeter and more concentrated.

And if you need a break from oatmeal... Try oat crepes!
    Ingredients: 1 cup oat flour (make your own with a blender, using about 1 1/2 cups quick oats), 1 cup milk of choice or water (I usually use rice milk), 1/2 cup water, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt.
    Directions: Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth and let stand for 15 minutes. Heat a greased skillet on medium heat (make sure it's hot before using) and pour 1/3 cup batches on the skillet, swirling the pan very quickly to distribute the batter. Cook until the bottom starts to turn golden and is easily flippable, then flip and cook other side until done to your preference. Garnish with maple syrup, berries, jam or mashed bananas as filling.

Annnd... carrot oat pancakes!
    Ingredients: 2/3 cup buttermilk, 1 egg, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ground ginger (optional), 1 cup oat flour, 3 tbsp packed shredded carrot, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda.
    Directions: Blend together buttermilk, egg, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon, then add oat flour (make in your blender with about 1 1/3 – 1 1/2 cups quick oats) and blend for a few seconds. Add the shredded carrot (squeeze the juice from it and pack it into your measuring spoons), baking powder and baking soda and blend just for a couple of seconds. Cook 1/4 cup batches on a greased skillet on medium-low heat until airey and the bottom is golden and it`s easily flippable. Cook the other side until done. Serve with maple syrup or room-temperature applesauce. Applesauce goes super well with these.

Enjoy =)
  • missyj1115
    missyj1115 Posts: 1,220 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I also use the preflavored packs...it's only 160 calories and I checked the ingredients and the one I buy is all natural, so I figure what could be bad about it?
  • SoulEater7
    Options
    I'm a little sad, i just have my oaks with milk, no sugar or flavours haha, mmmmm Oats
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Currently adding apple crumble & custard protein powder and milk to my porridge.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I add 1 tablespoon of Hershey Special Dark Chocolate chips...yummy!! I also make mine with water instead of milk. The chips are 70 calories per Tblsp. I also like cinnamon and bananas.
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of honey (sometimes agave), tablespoon of wheat germ, tablespoon of flax seed, 1/4 cup of blueberries and a dash of salt. Yum! I eat this every morning with a greek yogurt mixed with another 1/4 cup of blueberries. I look forward to breakfast every night. :)
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bump
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just use the preflavored packs...I know that makes me less of a human to some here...

SOMEBODY GET THE WHIP! HE'S USING PREFLAVORED PACKS!
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I usually add in the extras while I'm cooking it so they soften up and the flavors meld together. My favourite combinations are:

Apple walnut oatmeal (chopped the apples and walnuts, throw them in a pot with some cinnamon, sprinkle a little brown sugar on top when it's done)

Banana peanutbutter oatmeal (slice a banana and throw it in the pot with the oats. Add some cinnamon if you'd like. Let them all cook together and simmer for a while. While oatmeal is hot, spread a spoonful of peanut butter on top. Delicious!)

Raisin cinnamon oatmeal (raisins and cinnamon in the pot, brown sugar on top.)

There are really so many great oatmeal recipies to try! I'm sure you'll be able to figure out hundreds of interesting ways to eat it. :)
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I mix and match oatmeal stuff a lot. I add one tablespoon each of a dried fruit (blueberries, cherries, raisins, cranberries) and a nut (almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios) then sweeten with either brown sugar or maple syrup and top it with cinnamon. Lots of potential combinations. Another fun trick is, instead of dried fruits, I use fruit butters (only a tablespoon because these can be higher in sugar). I have found apple butter, peach butter and pumpkin butter in stores - I know it sounds crazy, but TJ Maxx/Marshall's have some interesting specialty fruit butters in their kitchen sections. If I use a fruit butter I omit the sweetener. I also like to throw in some flax seed regardless of flavors.
  • Mickeyriv
    Mickeyriv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    "Oatmeal, it's not just for breakfast." I know this SOUNDS crazy, I was skeptical at first too, but Google "savory oats". Just do it!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The recipes are all awesome, but were you asking for comments about the diet?

I looked it over. It's basically designed to teach portion control and get calorie consumption to a reasonable level, and unless you're really heavy and have been eating the 4000 calories a day they say you've been eating you're not going to lose 15lbs in 2 weeks. This diet's trying to get you to eat ~150 cals for breakfast, ~250 cals for lunch, and ~900 cals for dinner so you eat 1300 cals on the day. If you add extras to your oatmeal, you'll have to eat less for dinner. Please remember you don't HAVE to eat oatmeal for 2 out of 3 meals if you're sticking to the outlined calorie goals. In fact, I'd recommend limiting oatmeal to one meal a day (or less) and having protein-filled lunches and dinners.

Don't do diets, do sustainable lifestyle changes. Do you really want to eat oatmeal for 2 meals a day every day for the rest of your life?
  • queezle_sister
    queezle_sister Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been intrigued by recipes that mix chia seeds into the oatmeal. Anybody try that? And I'm curious about the savory oatmeals, too. And savory granola.. mmmmmm. Now I'm hungry.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it this way in a while, but I love mashing a sweet potato in it with some brown sugar, cinnamon and sliced peaches.
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

Oh me to! Most are only 130 calories per pack and taste SOOO much better than when I try to "spice it up" myself for the same amt of cals
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is amazing! Enough said... But sometimes I'll add any combination of Cream of Wheat, Wheat Germ... ground flax... vanilla, cinnamon... or Peanut butter! And I agree... It's not just for breakfast! :)