Women, what results have you gotten from strength training?

Options
I always read on here how strength training and a moderate amount of cardio helps to build muscle and makes woman/men look more lean. Does anyone have any before and after pics of what strength training has done for you? I know I'd like to start it in the next few months.. Did you have to make any changes to your diet?

Replies

• Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pics to post at the moment, sorry.

But I can tell you that I strength train/weight ilft pretty heavy 4-5 days a week, and do minimal cardio (HIIT once a week, with a little extra now and then after my weight training, like 20 minutes or so).

In the past 5 months I have only lost 12 pounds total. HOWEVER: I have lost 11 inches and counting, and have gone down 4 pants sizes!

As for diet, I eat as clean as I can, I eat a LOT of protein (+/- 130g a day), and I consume 1500 - 1700 calories a day. My snacks are usually protein shakes. I have my macros set at 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat.
  • anwest20
    anwest20 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pics to post at the moment, sorry.

But I can tell you that I strength train/weight ilft pretty heavy 4-5 days a week, and do minimal cardio (HIIT once a week, with a little extra now and then after my weight training, like 20 minutes or so).

In the past 5 months I have only lost 12 pounds total. HOWEVER: I have lost 11 inches and counting, and have gone down 4 pants sizes!

As for diet, I eat as clean as I can, I eat a LOT of protein (+/- 130g a day), and I consume 1500 - 1700 calories a day. My snacks are usually protein shakes. I have my macros set at 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat.

I just started lifting and was wondering what you do. Right now im following a program i found online but it calls for a lot of supplements.....
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

If you haven't read through that and looked at the pictures, do so.

I don't have any before/afters myself because I'm just starting this journey. I did change my macros to increase my protein and reduce carbs. I believe that this will work for me, but I have to quit looking at the scale as a measurement of success. I'm two weeks in and right now I'm up a few pounds and my clothes don't fit any looser, but I have faith that good things are going to happen.

Edited to add - my macros are currently set at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I just made this adjustment today, though, and I know it will take a little time for me to figure out what foods fit well into the new macros. I also work out 6 days a week, roughly 30 minutes a day. 3 days are cardio, 3 days are strength. My goal is set at 1560 calories a day but I'm not too worried about that since I'm personally not trying to lose weight.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My pics are in my profile but about 3 months ago my abs started to show! I have really worked hard on cleaning up my diet and I make sure that I get in cardio and lift weights.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The "before" photos were really my "afters" taken when I reached my goal weight. At the time, I pretty much did cardio plus very light strength training (5 pound dumbbells plus body weight exercises). I started heavy (well, heavIER) lifting with machines in July of 2011, shortly after the first photos were taken, and switched to free weights in July of 2012 when I bought weights for home and quit the gym. I lift 3x a week and run 3x a week.

135-front.jpg

135-back-flex.jpg

135-back.jpg

135-side.jpg
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Aloha! I started NROL4W (New Rules of Lifting for Women) in July 2012. I did it for 4 stages, then took a break for my 1/2 marathon and the holidays. I have since restarted the program last month. I didn't take pictures from the other stages.

Here are my results after only the first stage which was 16 days worth of working out (M, W, & F - on my first go around)...

c2263473-99e9-4419-9839-9e91d0b0c153.jpg

IMG_8884.jpg

IMG_8885.jpg

IMG_9568.jpg

IMG_9573.jpg

IMG_9571.jpg

IMG_9570.jpg

My stats:
    5'2"
    130lbs.
    Deadlift: 175 x 10 x 3 sets (though I did get two reps out at 205lbs.)
    Squats: 185 x 10 reps x 3 sets
    Dumbbell Push Press: 25 each arm
    Lunges: 85 x 10 reps x 3 sets

I'm almost done Stage 1 again and am looking forward to come thing
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Doooo eeeettttt! you won't be sorry! 140 ish in both sets of pics. Down from a 10 to an 8 US ladies clothes.
    I eat 2000-2500 calories per day.

Before Strength training:

IMG_20121116_085359_zpsab2ed6e5.jpg
    IMG_20121116_085406_zps00fd0a66.jpg

After (4 months):

IMG_20130301_102007_zps1b82cdd5.jpg
    IMG_20130301_101509_zps1d8127c3.jpg
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I went down like 4-5% body fat, gained a few pounds but lost 95% of the cellulite on my legs. My arms and back look nice, I wear tank tops all of the time. I've been lifting seriously for 3+ years now. I've done Crossfit, NROLFW twice, and I continue to lift 3-4 days a week.

Went from 105 pounds and cellulite to 112 pounds and lean sculpted legs! Still in the same size 0-3 clothes.

oldlegs.jpg

legs.jpg

biceps2.jpg
  • vjohn04
    Options
    I went down like 4-5% body fat, gained a few pounds but lost 95% of the cellulite on my legs. My arms and back look nice, I wear tank tops all of the time. I've been lifting seriously for 3+ years now. I've done Crossfit, NROLFW twice, and I continue to lift 3-4 days a week.

I always like seeing your pics! What a great transformation!!!
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You ladies all look fantastic!
    vjohn, what specifically are you doing for weight training? Any cardio? You now look very close to my ideal body. Right now I am doing 30 Day Shred because it is SO much more convenient than going to the gym. Tell me I should switch to lifting heavy at the gym :)
  • vjohn04
    Options
    You ladies all look fantastic!
    vjohn, what specifically are you doing for weight training? Any cardio? You now look very close to my ideal body. Right now I am doing 30 Day Shred because it is SO much more convenient than going to the gym. Tell me I should switch to lifting heavy at the gym :)

Hey there!! you should definitely switch :-) I spend 30 minutes in the gym lifting weights Monday-Thursday. I do Barbell and dumbbell work, compound movements and some supplemental isolation movements, and a few body weight exercises here and there.... That's all it took for me! You can look in my exercise diary to see exactly what I do each day (it's open).

ETA, yes, I run sometimes, and I do take a boxing class.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You ladies look fantastic (: Thank you for sharing your pics..
    Is (New Rules of Lifting for Women) online? or is it something I would find at a store (book)?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't have any before pics, but take a look at my profile pic. I used to be 105 lbs bigger than that. So that is what strength training has done for me.
  • AlliecoreXX
    AlliecoreXX Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy change my profle pic but if you creep my profile you can see my pics. I could post before pics, but suffice to say I've had 3 kids. Strength training is absolutely the best thing a woman can do!
    PS those are my abs on my ticker...a tribute to strength training!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I don't have any "after" photos, but I have some during photos that might interest you!

This is me in October at 188.9, and the second photo is me in January at... 188.9. Oh, and don't mind the smudged mirror, I have a bad habit of writing on it when it's foggy.

MyCollage_1_zpsf468dacc.png

One other. I already know the photo is too big, but the first photo is me at 188.9, once I started eating better and working out. The second one is me BEFORE I started my weight loss journey at 180 lbs

1889sidecomparison_zps25283763.jpg

Well, both of my photos are too big. The first one is my profile picture, though
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy change my profle pic but if you creep my profile you can see my pics. I could post before pics, but suffice to say I've had 3 kids. Strength training is absolutely the best thing a woman can do!

Ahhh I'm super jealous of your ticker pic.. I want to try to get there someday. You look fantastic
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pics, but I've been eating at maintenance and doing strength training 3x a week and I dropped 4.8% body fat in about 5 weeks! I'm definitely much more muscular and people have been asking me if I've lost weight - to which I happily say "no!"
  • vjohn04
    Options
    I don't have any before pics, but take a look at my profile pic. I used to be 105 lbs bigger than that. So that is what strength training has done for me.

You are one of my inspirations! you look freaking fantastic!!!
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pics, but I've been eating at maintenance and doing strength training 3x a week and I dropped 4.8% body fat in about 5 weeks! I'm definitely much more muscular and people have been asking me if I've lost weight - to which I happily say "no!"
    I am doing the same for 3 weeks. I can certainly feel more definition ...............but I guess I need a few more weeks for others to notice.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options

OMGEE!!

Good for you!