Biggest Looser - motivating or not?

Options

Replies

• UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This year I think it is interesting that the one guys brother has lost 95 lbs at home- when he lost only 8 lbs more. Is it worth dealing with Jillian screaming in your face. I thought she was horrible this season- guess that is why she lost all the contestants except 1.

I noticed that too - re the brother. Thought it was a HUGE accomplishment on his part - more so than the brother on the show who has a staff of people behind is success. And as to the yelling - that is not really my idea of how to get it done. Have a whole range of emotions when it comes to my work outs but that never helps.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I do not believe I have ever seen the Biggest Looser.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    1271760918_cat-yawn.gif

Reality TV is not REAL. First off, one week is longer than a real week. They also do all manner of unhealthy things to lose weight, including massive calorie deficits and over training...pretty much everything they do should be done only under close supervision of a medical professional (I assume contestants are) They also dehydrate for weigh-ins...much of those losses are simply water.

Biggest Looser is entertainment (at best) and probably actually kinda dangerous for this very reason. People think they should be losing weight like that, when in reality, healthy and safe weight loss is about 1-2 Lb per week unless you are under the supervision of a physician.

I was having this discussion with my husband last night regarding the show and the tricks and weirdness that go into getting the goal weights...and also the calorie deficit thing. I have decided that it is unhealthy to watch, because while my rational brain is saying 'that is not healthy' my irrational side gets down by seeing their numbers. Also, I was never at the weights they began with and so my journey's start and progress will be very different.
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    I don't get motivated by watching people get yelled at or pushed past their endurance. It's good that these people want to lose weight and will do anything to get there but it's hard to watch a trainer using tactics like screaming in their faces to get the job done.
  • janecl
    janecl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I like Biggest Loser. I guess I looked at it differently, knowing I physically can't do what they do and that they were being medically supervised constantly to do it safely. I try to listen carefully when the trainers talk to the contestants when they are struggling emotionally because I can lose weight but it's me getting myself motivated emotionally and something interferring with that. So I know I need to go deep in my mind and do the best I can and push myself a little. Don't let their outcome bother you. You CAN do your best with the environment you have around you. Also, as safely as you can is so important! Good luck! You CAN do it!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Its unrealistic for a normal person, fine if you have money and a perm personal trainer.

Plus they lose the weight so fast, their body hasnt adapted which is why they wear the bra's and no tops at the start and long tshirts at the end, cause their skin hasnt recovered and is still mega loose.

Slow, steady and manageable is better, much better
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Totally motivational for me. I realize what they do is unrealistic in the real world. I don't have trainers and nutritionists to guide me and smack me around for 5 or 6 hours a day. But it's still great to see them succeed.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    The show does for me.
    but there things to keep in mind, they do work out 8hrs a day.

they do put on trashbags when they are working out.
    and it is true they do drop 8 - 10 lbs.

But its also try they gain it back after they leave the show.

If you want to see their results ( more or less) then hire a Personal Trainer your self.
    it could be as much as $50 for 30min but that will give you the tools to work out on your own for the rest of the week.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Motivating? Yes. Realistic expectations? No. As long as you keep that in mind, it's all good. :drinker:

This! I am happy for the people when they lose their weight and reach their goal. However, it's not realistic. Separating the two makes the show watchable.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It is motivating for me. Lots of times I find myself picking up my hand weights, or doing extra crunches or planks while watching the show, even though I have been to "boot camp" that day already. However, it IS unrealistic as 98% of us don't have the time or luxury of 24/7 10-12 weeks of only concentrating on fitness. There ARE jobs, kids, and other activities that go on.
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser. It's a show not real life so it doesn't upset me that I can't drop crazy numbers. However, I am really biased because I love Jillian. I attribute a large amount of my weight loss to her. I do her dvds 5 or 6 days a week.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I found it motivating, but not for the weight loss. Obviously if I could spend months sequestered away with my own personal trainer and all the time in the world to workout and all my food being bought for me, then, yes, I'd have done as well as they did, but it's not realistic at all. I did get some good workout tips and some food ideas though, which is always helpful.

What did motivate me more was hearing their stories about how they got all that weight in the first place, all the things they were feeling and going through. I didn't feel quite so alone and watching them deal with those issues helped me work on my own. Sort of like private group therapy.

And I know people complain that the trainers are mean, but for some people like me it helps to have someone else push me and call me on my bs when I slacking off. It doesn't work for everyone though so I get why some people don't like it.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I was watching the biggest looser recently - and seeing the 10 lb drops the women are logging in right now kind of made me feel ****ty about my weight loss. Now I realize that is sort of stupid because they are probably training 7 days a week 6 hours a day sort of deal - but it kind of worked on me a bit to see it. It isn't like they are doing something easy to get the weight off etc...but I was so demotivated after that. Did my workouts and did my food but felt a bit off.

Back on my game today though...but found that result very interesting.

NSV: Ran my personal best of my 5KM track time - 32 minutes (and even better my feet didn't hurt - plantar faciitis, my asthma was cooperating and wasn't feeling sluggish!

Screw that show. If they cared about helping they would show what their diet plans are and how much lbm they are losing.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing!
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I enjoy watching and it usually makes me want to get up and work hard too
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Nope.

- I don't like seeing the contestants being berated all the time - there are better ways to motivate people
    - I don't think it's a healthy way to lose weight
    - I don't think they're being taught sustainable habits

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/25/biggest-loser-contestants_n_370538.html

http://www.today.com/id/40423712/site/todayshow/ns/today-entertainment/t/biggest-loser-where-are-they-now/
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing!

I read it yesterday, and I still feel sick to my stomach about it. I pray this still isn't going on.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser is disgusting and exploitative. They CHILDREN on there for pete's sake. I have no respect for Jillian Michaels because of it, and I won't buy any of her products.
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I watch the show off an on, but have watched a lot this season. Typically, I don't find it motivational, or the opposite, I just think it's interesting. That being said, I had a lot of issues with the last episode (I think this is why I generally watch the beginning of the season and not the end), where they were back home. All of them seemed stressed out of their minds when put in a real life situation like eating out at a restaurant. One of the contestants literally said "this is the hardest moment of my life". Ordering dinner is the hardest moment of your life? Failure. When I saw that, all the contestants acting like they couldn't function while eating out, I was pretty disappointed. If they are not going to teach these people how to exist in the real world, of course they aren't going to be successful long term. If you can't comfortably sit down in a restaurant and order a meal, you're not living in reality, so I guess reality TV here is a misnomer here. That aspect of last weeks show just really bugged me, because I've generally enjoyed the show this season. I get that these people have been on deeply calorie restricted diets since being on the ranch (a term I hate using because it makes the contestants sound like they're farm animals), but that isn't going to last forever, nor should it. If the show isn't going to teach them how to realistically live beyond it's very sheltered environment, then it's basically wasting their time. Which, if you believe what people say about the contestants putting all their weight back on, is fairly accurate.