anyone gain or lose weight from E CIGS

Options
Hi... not sure if this is the right forum to post this topic but has anyone quit smoking by using an E CIG?
I am 42 yrs old...and unfortuntely have been smoking for 30 years...I never tried to quit before...I recently bought an E cig which has helped me cut down to a 1/2 pack a day from a pack a day...I am doing great and eventually will cut down to O real cigs...But I wanted to know if any one gained weight or lost weight from switching to an E cig...Thanks

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I switched entirely to ecigs last June and then cut out the nicotine entirely (still smoking the ecig... IT TASTES LIKE APPLE PIE...) a few months ago. Since September, I've lost 23 or more lbs... But I also stopped eating processed food in September, so you'll have to draw your correlations from that. Between June and September my weight stayed pretty steady. Just remember that you smoke an e-cig differently from a real cigarette, and you won't really feel deprived at all.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No. Not possible.... I have been Vaping (correct term) since October 2010.

I have had like 6 different mods.

Im talking the crappy e-cigs that look lik ciggaretes (gold one, BLU, etc.)
    Tank Mods, E-go mods, Omega, Rio (juice box mod), and now have the ProVari.

Additionally i make and sell my own juice.The ingredients for E-cig juice are all the same-

VG- Vegetable Glycerin or PG- Propylene Glycol
    Nicotine Base- I use a 100mg per ml base from Box-elder chemical supply
    and Candy flavoring. Almost every company out there uses LorAnn's candy oils.
    The tobacco flavors will use a tobacco absolute.

Now i have seen some people cut their VG with everclear which evaporates off to thin the juice since VG is naturally thicker (although will thin if you warm up with your hand).

I have used Cartomizers (LOL, eff that), normal atomizers (standard 510, low resistance, high resistance, 208 and all the others), crappy cartridges, etc.

I have NEVER gained weight because of e-cigs. I have been happily vaping (down to only 6mg from 28mg!) for almost three years.

I'm not sure what mod you have but i hope it's working out for you! I am a big participant in the vaping community and constantly go to vape meets. ;)
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I switched entirely to ecigs last Spring. I had been gaining weight slowly for about 2 years due to other issues I was having and I didn't start thinking about losing weight until around September of last year, so I can't say how much the ecig had to do with the weight I've lost since then, most of the credit I give to MFP plus pushing myself to workout.

However...I will say that I think the ecig is an amazing invention and may have saved my life and my husbands! He stepped down the nicotine on his and eventually gave it up about a month after switching, but I am weak!! I still use mine both as a "nicotine crutch" and because I enjoy it, but pretty much all the negative health consequences I had from being a smoker are gone now and I am starting to be in MUCH better cardiovascular shape, I mean I can RUN now!! W00t!!

Anyway for me I was using both my ecig and smoking cigarettes for a few months and I just couldn't seem to make the switch over full time for a long time, I had to push myself hard to get rid of the analogs but now I am a happy vaper and I NEVER crave those old stinky things any more, even if I'm dancing on a table drunk at a party surrounded by 100 smokers. It's a miracle! LOL :) Good luck!!
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    WOW...THANKS SO MUCH FOR EVERY ONES SUPPORT...I AM SMOKING 2.4 NICOTINE LOGIC MENTHOLS...I HAVE TRIED A FEW OTHERS BUT AM A NEWPORT SMOKER AND THIS ECIG TASTES CLOSEST TO A NEWPORT...I LOVE THE ECIG BUT AM SO AFRAID TO COMPLETELY CUT OUT ALL CIGS SO I AM CUTTING DOWN WITH THE HOPES OF QUITTING ALTOGETHER...
  • samairon
    samairon Posts: 46
    Options
    I started vaping 5 weeks ago and quit cigs completely that day. I have lost weight and I don't smell like an ashtray anymore. Definitely do it!
  • BigNickCT79
    Options
    I made the switch almost 6 months ago and found that ecigs helped me lose weight. Every week I could breather a little better and I could push myself a little harder on the course (I play a lot of disc golf so there is a lot of hiking and lots of hills.) The sooner you make the switch the better!

Be sure to check out http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ there is so much information on there!
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about making the switch for months and you guys all make it seem like a good idea! Are you saving money compared to cigarettes?
  • mandasue1976
    mandasue1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was a 1 pack a day Marlboro Red Smoker for the last 15 + years & swtiched to Vaping with E Go-T over & have had no issues with any wieght loss or gain. But do enjoy my e-Cig ( Spearamint or Wintergreen), I use it less & its cheaper-good luck & happy vaping!
  • lexlyn14
    Options
    I started vaping 5 weeks ago and quit cigs completely that day. I have lost weight and I don't smell like an ashtray anymore. Definitely do it!
  • lexlyn14
    Options
    That is so awesome...and inspirational...You go!!!
  • lexlyn14
    Options
    I've been thinking about making the switch for months and you guys all make it seem like a good idea! Are you saving money compared to cigarettes?
    It is a great idea...Each ECIG is suppose to be equal to 2 packs of real ciggarettes...And each Ecig is around 10 dollars...So you save money as well...
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Saving TONS! I have a Joye 510 refillable... the starter kit was I think $60 (enough for both my husband and I to get started). I buy refillable liquids in different flavors (Oh SO Many fun flavors to try!) and occassionally need a replacement battery or other part, total ongoing expense is probably around $25/month, vs. around $150/month for my previous pack a day habit.

Not to mention...I have probably saved over $1200 in dental care - cigarettes were destroying my gums!
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I had two Joye 510's and lost them both :sad: but was not real happy with them because the vapor would make me choke. (I think it was 12mg) Then I tried one of the Njoy disposables which gave me a terrible headache. Back to the drawing board.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I switched to ecigs in 2008. Then totally gave them up as well about a year ago. I lost and gained variable amounts of weight like any yo-yo dieter, but over the long haul my weight pretty much remained the same until this last year when its gone up. Just starting here and hoping to change that trend, but as a long term ecig user, they had no notable effect on my weight when using. If anything I'd say they staved off the usual weight gain associated with quitting smoking, until I gave them up too that is.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have been completely on ecigs for 514 days and managed to lose weight and maintain weight while on them. Not because of them of course, but it is the first time I tried to quit smoking that I didn't gain weight. I was also a 3 pack a day smoker and have saved approximately $6,000.00 in that time.

But buying the prefilled is NOT economical at all.

I use a variety of batteries, a reservoir atomizer device called a stardust, and I fill it with juice I purchase or make myself.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

That is where you can find all the information you need. Though my favorite vendor is Gotvapes.com.
  • lexlyn14
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I had two Joye 510's and lost them both :sad: but was not real happy with them because the vapor would make me choke. (I think it was 12mg) Then I tried one of the Njoy disposables which gave me a terrible headache. Back to the drawing board.
    Hi ...I actually tried at least 7 different brands before I found the one I liked...Dont give up...you will find one you like...
  • lexlyn14
    Options
    I have been completely on ecigs for 514 days and managed to lose weight and maintain weight while on them. Not because of them of course, but it is the first time I tried to quit smoking that I didn't gain weight. I was also a 3 pack a day smoker and have saved approximately $6,000.00 in that time.

I use a variety of batteries, a reservoir atomizer device called a stardust, and I fill it with juice I purchase or make myself.

That is where you can find all the information you need. Though my favorite vendor is Gotvapes.com.
    From 3 packs a day to only ECIGS...that is AWESOME...CONGRATS
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options

From 3 packs a day to only ECIGS...that is AWESOME...CONGRATS

It took a few tries a few failed and aborted ecig trials, with products that were not up to my needs. Then when I dfound stuff that actually worked, some ramping down which took a couple of months when i was doing both, but almost immediately I dropped from 3 packs to one. But here I am, analogue free for closing in on two years.
  • 2013wrxMarine
    Options
    In July, i started using the Logic E-Cigs and i believed they were great. Not to badly priced and then i recently switched to the HALO E-Cig. i have gained alot of weight, i will not say its all due to the E-Cigs. i planned to quit while also fighting an knee injury which limited my physical activities. My food intake id say didnt help much either from not eating at all to eating not healthy foods(Tempo of work) at all. Hopefully, i can change that now my knee is almost fully healed. The LOGIC was a great choice just be sure to excersie and eat healthy. To all those that have quit and are starting to quit. Congrats and Good Luck!!!!!!! Now i must start mine journey.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I bought a vaporizer about 5 weeks ago. Smoked real cigarettes along with the e-cig for two weeks, but then for the past 3 weeks I've been using the e-cig only. It's been really easy to give up cigarettes using this. Really not a challenge at all. Every once in awhile I want a real one, but the craving passes quickly. I haven't gained any weight.

They are much cheaper. Get the vaporizer with the refillable tanks, not the ones with the filters that look like actual cigarettes. I love all of the crazy flavors. I usually use coconut or peach, those are my favorite so far. My starter kit was $25. I bought a longer life battery for $35, and the juice costs about $6 a bottle, equivalent to a carton. So now that I have everything I need, it won't cost me more than $6 a week...unless I go crazy and start ordering a ton of flavors again. :embarassed:

I get my stuff from here: http://vaporecigarettestore.com/menu.html They have something like 300 flavors, and if you chose custom, you can mix flavors, or even add vitamin b12 or caffeine to your juice.