'Sugar-Free' vs. Natural Sugars

Options
Ok, so I love to bake and ever since I have been cutting down on my sugars and carbs.....there basically goes everything to bake lol. So I made a delicious Sugar-Free Banana Cream Poke Cake which tastes delicious low in sugar and under 150 calories for a huge piece. BUT my dad later told me that all the alcohol sugars from the Sugar-Free cake mix, sugar-free pudding mix, and sugar-free whipped cream really upset his stomach. So now I see that doing things 'sugar-free' still isn't working out for my love of baking because I want to people who eat it to enjoy it!

So then I started thinking about using more recipes that use honey and agave instead of white sugar or sugar free items. But then again I cant help but think, while it is more natural using honey and agave, they still has tons of sugar! Which is better?

Replies

• XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    Sugar still gets processed as sugar in your system, but the more wholesome, the better. Artificial sweeteners, as you've seen, are not the way to go - They aren't natural and mess with your body. Honey and maple syrup are great sweeteners. Unfortunately maple syrup is expensive but honey can be bought for cheap if you buy buckets straight from the farmers. Fruit are great too! I've experimented a lot with using the sweetness of very-ripe bananas to do most of the sweetening in some of my baked goods. Adding in dried fruit or applesauce to substitute for some of the sugar is a good way to go.
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Agave is no better than actual sugar. It was falsely "promoted". Obviously, natural sugar is better than added sugar. Most of my sugar comes from fruit. I used to LOVE baking with a passion but now I only do it on my cheat day. Have you tried Stevia? I use that and there is a bit of a different taste, but it isn't sugar, so you have to be open for a little change in taste.

I know this isn't what you are asking, but coming form a former bake-a-holic, what comes to mind is the question are you baking for the food or hobby? I used to stress bake. I didn't even eat everything I made (though, I did a fair share!!) Cutting sugar can make baking difficult, but I honestly found that I don't desire it as much. I even watch the fruits I eat (berries are better than bananas and mangos as far as the sugars) I replaced my urge to bake with exercise. When I'm stressed I make myself get out of the kitchen and if I can get myself to the basement, I will just walk on the treadmill. Even 5 minutes of walking (even in circles around the house or jugging in place) I usually lose my desire to make something. And if I do, I make dinner because clearly I'm hungry and need to eat some protein or fat!
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    Agave isn't healthier for you than sugar. Sugar is fine, just moderate your intake. Stevia can be used in some baking, and of course in drinks instead of sugar.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Agave is the worst actually. Because the fructose/glucose ratio is so high. Honey is better than Agave.

I'm not a baker, myself, but there are a lot of folks out there really testing this stuff. Google Paleo + Baking and you will get a ton of tested recipes.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I wasn't aware that any of the types of sugar-free foods you listed contained sugar alcohols in the first place. I've mainly seen them in protein bars.
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sugar still gets processed as sugar in your system, but the more wholesome, the better. Artificial sweeteners, as you've seen, are not the way to go - They aren't natural and mess with your body. Honey and maple syrup are great sweeteners. Unfortunately maple syrup is expensive but honey can be bought for cheap if you buy buckets straight from the farmers. Fruit are great too! I've experimented a lot with using the sweetness of very-ripe bananas to do most of the sweetening in some of my baked goods. Adding in dried fruit or applesauce to substitute for some of the sugar is a good way to go.

This.. I bake a lot too and using apple juice that's not from concentrate or using honey or even just dates and bananas very good and not processed
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Honestly....

Baking + Low Carb + Low Sugar = Not very realistic dietary goals. If it's really important to watch those things for you (not really necessary barring a medical condition), I would think baking would just be one of those sacrificial lambs or things you just indulge in on special occasion.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Honestly....

Baking + Low Carb + Low Sugar = Not very realistic dietary goals. If it's really important to watch those things for you (not really necessary barring a medical condition), I would think baking would just be one of those sacrificial lambs or things you just indulge in on special occasion.

Have to agree with this. But I'm in a place where I regard sugar as the insulin spiking enemy (my brother was just diagnosed T2) so it was easy for me to just let sugar go.
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Doctor Oz had a dietician on that talked about the munk fruit and how it has been used for centuries to stabilize blood sugar, all natural and sweeter than sugar. It is coming to the states and is in an orange package. You can also get drops at the health food store called Lo Han. I haven't tried it, but I will be looking for it.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love to bake, as well and well baking became the sacrifical lamb as someone said, save if for special occasions.... find other treats (homemade frozen yougarts... smoothies). Honestly in perspective it really is a short period of time you deny these pleasures in comparison to life just not do it for now. I have given up almost all sugars for a full year, really it hasn't done anything bad for me, sure I want things but I just keep moving on and don't endulge. I did endulge for 33 years that got me to where I was I want the change so I must sacrafice something to get there. And in the whole scheme of things its not that bad, I do eat a lot of fruit and love it. Instead of traditional cake for birthday we make cake out of fruit, layers of watermelon decorated with cut fruit, like a fruit boquet but a cake instead.
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I found it, Monk Fruit is being labeled (NECTRESSE Natural No Calorie Sweetener, 40-Count Packets)
  • saraekelly
    Options
    My goal limits me to 40 grams of sugar, but I always go over, (eating fruit, sweet potato and corn, ect-NATRUAL sugar) Is there anyway to change the settings?