Weight won't budge

Options
I am eating exactly the number of calories that is recommended for losing weight and I am burning off about half of them at the gym or doing other workouts around the house and yet my weight will not budge. I am open to anything to make it go down.

Replies

• chaaalgeo
    chaaalgeo Posts: 70
    Options
    r u eating back exercise calories?
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    r u eating back exercise calories?

I am too slow...................^^^^^

ETA: What is the "recommended" calories?
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No. I do not eat back the calories that I work off. Ever.
  • chaaalgeo
    Options
    its just i plateaued when I didnt eat enough so i made sure i ate nearly everything back and I loe 1lb to 1lb 1/2 a week now.x
  • awholenewworld
    Options
    Mine isn't a plateau though. I never really lost any weight. Will eating a bit more still help me lose?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I could use more information in order to help you out. For instance, how much weight are you trying to lose? If you have less than 20 pounds to go, you need to eat very close to your TDEE in order to lose fat. That means cutting out all white carbs (sugar, flour, potatoes, rice) and most grains. This is because the body metabolizes these nutrients differently than protein and fats, causing you to hold onto your fat stores.

Vigorous exercise is very important, too. Working at 85-95% of maximum heart rate for short periods of time is essential if you are down to your last 10-20 pounds.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would definitely start with eating back your exercise calories. Or at least some of them. Give it a couple of weeks and then reassess.
  • awholenewworld
    Options
    I have 15 pounds to lose. I do vigorous workouts at the gym every day. I can cut out flour and other simple carbs if that will help.
  • chaaalgeo
    Options
    It may be worth a go your body may have gone into shock if you have cut back your calories and exercising more than you used to. it may be trying to hold on to anything you put in.x
  • chaaalgeo
    Options
    I would definitely start with eating back your exercise calories. Or at least some of them. Give it a couple of weeks and then reassess.

congrats on your amazing weight loss (sorry to go off topic)
  • awholenewworld
    Options
    The number of calories I get a day is super low..because the weight I want to get to is rather low..so maybe my calorie intake should come up slightly?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    There is no information available on your profile so it's going to be hard to help you. You should open up your diary and give us your stats....height, weight, age, calories a day, types of workouts.
  • chaaalgeo
    Options
    how many do you aim for?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

There's your problem right there. MFP expects you to. You already have a massive weight loss deficit built into your diet...you're creating something the size of a Grand Canyon deficit with your exercise. Your body can't maintain that so it slows itself down to conserve/provide energy to essential functions like breathing.

You need to eat more. You know how when you log exercise your calorie goal goes up on MFP? That's because it's a goal. I assume you know the definition of a goal right? Start achieving your goals and your weight will follow suit.
  • chaaalgeo
    Options

There's your problem right there. MFP expects you to. You already have a massive weight loss deficit built into your diet...you're creating something the size of a Grand Canyon deficit with your exercise. Your body can't maintain that so it slows itself down to conserve/provide energy to essential functions like breathing.

You need to eat more. You know how when you log exercise your calorie goal goes up on MFP? That's because it's a goal. I assume you know the definition of a goal right? Start achieving your goals and your weight will follow suit.
    [/quote

second this]
  • awholenewworld
    Options
    Okay. I guess my previous issues with eating kind of taught me that you have to eat less to lose more..not eat more to lose more. I will work on that. Thanks!!
  • adk88
    adk88 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I could use more information in order to help you out. For instance, how much weight are you trying to lose? If you have less than 20 pounds to go, you need to eat very close to your TDEE in order to lose fat. That means cutting out all white carbs (sugar, flour, potatoes, rice) and most grains. This is because the body metabolizes these nutrients differently than protein and fats, causing you to hold onto your fat stores.

Vigorous exercise is very important, too. Working at 85-95% of maximum heart rate for short periods of time is essential if you are down to your last 10-20 pounds.

This is awesome information! I am really struggling with the last 12.5 pounds. I'm already eating at a very small deficit to my TDEE as I've heard that's best when trying to lose the last bit. But it's interesting about the heart rate thing!

Thanks for the info!
  • chaaalgeo
    Options
    good luck i added you if you want support.x:smile:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

[/quote

second this]

x 1000. You aren't eating enough. Read the forums, there are others with the same issue. Not eating enough so stuck on a plateau.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I am eating exactly the number of calories that is recommended for losing weight and I am burning off about half of them at the gym or doing other workouts around the house and yet my weight will not budge. I am open to anything to make it go down.

What works for me is eating the MFP calories set and adding my exercise cals and eating most of them too?

You will lose weight if you do it all correctly, that is logging all your food, every little mouthful, and adding your exercise, walking, weights etc. I would not personally add housework, but some people do.

If you have added some exercise into the MFP calculation then you can eat some /all back?