Body Fat Measurement machine - how accurate?

Options
At work, they are having everyone complete a health risk assessment. We had to stand on a machine that looks kind of like a scale barefoot, and hold onto 2 handles while keeping our arms out. I'm just wondering how accurate these sorts of machines are?

And what is a realistic bodyfat % for a woman over 40? I'm trying to set a target for myself by next year.

I'm currently 5'3", 140 lbs and I'll turn 43 next week.

Replies

• SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    resistance based body fat meters are terribly inaccurate.
    the only possible use i can see for them is the delta, the change, the variation from measurement to measurement. using the value that it spits out as absolute measurement is a bad idea, IMHO.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    They'll get you in the ballpark but they are heavily dependent on hydration levels and thus can vary quite a bit. If you took the test at a consistent time of day (say, mornings), the results would presumably be fairly consistent. The tests I have taken usually are in the ballpark of 2-3%.

Healthy range for your age is probably 20-30%, 35% tops. Obviously the lower end is more towards the athletic scale.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    The margin of error is about 2%-3% about as accurate as calipers, not as accurate as dexa or water displacement
  • katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    They'll get you in the ballpark but they are heavily dependent on hydration levels and thus can vary quite a bit. If you took the test at a consistent time of day (say, mornings), the results would presumably be fairly consistent. The tests I have taken usually are in the ballpark of 2-3%.

Healthy range for your age is probably 20-30%, 35% tops. Obviously the lower end is more towards the athletic scale.

I didn't have anything to drink as we also had to fast for the bloodwork. Would this make it more or less accurate?