Food Addiction

Options
What is it? What can be done about it? Is there a support group?

Replies

• b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Have you tried overeaters anonymous? If you look it up online it should bring up meetings close to you.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    What is it? What can be done about it? Is there a support group?

Sugar consumption (particularly the fructose portion of sucrose) has been implicated as a major part of the problem of food addiction. Researchers have noted that fructose seems to have an "anti-satiety" factor that leads directly to overeating. Here's a link to the proceedings of a scientific conference on the subject from a couple of years ago: http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Wonders if she's serious.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I don't know, but from someone (me) who's been through an addiction / withdrawal / recovery I find this laughable either way. I'm not trying to be a prick, just being honest. I think the American notion of addiction as a disease is wrong and provides an easy excuse for those who fail to overcome their dependence. It's a notion created by the healthcare-industrial complex to bilk more money out of health insurance companies.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I don't know, but from someone (me) who's been through an addiction / withdrawal / recovery I find this laughable either way. I'm not trying to be a prick, just being honest. I think the American notion of addiction as a disease is wrong and provides an easy excuse for those who fail to overcome their dependence. It's a notion created by the healthcare-industrial complex to bilk more money out of health insurance companies.

I don't think it is an addiction in the same way that one would be addicted to heroin or alcohol. It is, as you say, more of an emotional dependence but there are definite physical aspects. The physical craving for, in my case, sugar and wheat, go away rather quickly and easily, unlike the physical addiction to a drug or alcohol. No one experiences D.T.s when they go off sugar (but some people do have physical symptoms). However, the emotional dependence of seeking comfort, solace, pleasure, relief from emotional and/or physical pain (and this is one of the most difficult aspects to overcome) in food is very much the same as in classical addictions. My definition of "addiction" is probably a bit broader than some would have it. I think one has an addiction when any practice or substance grips one even though it is obviously very destructive in one's life. Food addicts know that they are killing themselves with food, yet they keep right on doing it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Well your opinion is definitely just that but I will tell you or anyone else that food addiction is no different than an drug addiction or an alcoholic addiction the only difference is my drug of choice was food. I ate til I was so full I would have to throw up, then would come the guilt and remorse but that only lasted til the hunger pangs start and then I would dive right back in for more. I was consuming 8 to 10,000 calories a day and not blinking an eye at that amount of food. I order 21 inch pizza 3 or 4 times a week and put the pizza in tupperware and hide it around the house so when my family went to bed or left the house I had some food to eat between my meals with my family.. I ate myself until I was homebound for over 2 years and 560 lbs.and finally to the point that I hit rock bottom and sat in my recliner with a loaded hand gun for 3 days trying to figure out how to blow my brains out without leaving a mess for my family to come home too. On the 3 rd day my wife walked in on me holding the gun and I told her (she knew something was terribly wrong though) that I could not live another day like this so she took a week off work and started the process of getting me help. The very first stop was to see a psychiatrist to start dealing with my food addictions... I have spent the last 3 and a half years in therapy going through the 12 step program (yes the same one all drug and alcoholics go through) to get control over my addiction. It wasn't sugary items or any one particular thing. I self medicated with food plan and simple... And now 2 months shy of my 4 year anniversary I have completed my 12 step program and have begun the final process of the 12th step which is Paying it forward.... So I have to humbly disagree with you on this particular issue. If it wasn't for my wife insurance being willing to pay for my therapy visits I have no idea where I would be today.. No I take that back I actually think I would have figured out a way to pull the trigger had I not had the help I need..... Best of Luck Op.....
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Well your opinion is definitely just that but I will tell you or anyone else that food addiction is no different than an drug addiction or an alcoholic addiction the only difference is my drug of choice was food. I ate til I was so full I would have to throw up, then would come the guilt and remorse but that only lasted til the hunger pangs start and then I would dive right back in for more. I was consuming 8 to 10,000 calories a day and not blinking an eye at that amount of food. I order 21 inch pizza 3 or 4 times a week and put the pizza in tupperware and hide it around the house so when my family went to bed or left the house I had some food to eat between my meals with my family.. I ate myself until I was homebound for over 2 years and 560 lbs.and finally to the point that I hit rock bottom and sat in my recliner with a loaded hand gun for 3 days trying to figure out how to blow my brains out without leaving a mess for my family to come home too. On the 3 rd day my wife walked in on me holding the gun and I told her (she knew something was terribly wrong though) that I could not live another day like this so she took a week off work and started the process of getting me help. The very first stop was to see a psychiatrist to start dealing with my food addictions... I have spent the last 3 and a half years in therapy going through the 12 step program (yes the same one all drug and alcoholics go through) to get control over my addiction. It wasn't sugary items or any one particular thing. I self medicated with food plan and simple... And now 2 months shy of my 4 year anniversary I have completed my 12 step program and have begun the final process of the 12th step which is Paying it forward.... So I have to humbly disagree with you on this particular issue. If it wasn't for my wife insurance being willing to pay for my therapy visits I have no idea where I would be today.. No I take that back I actually think I would have figured out a way to pull the trigger had I not had the help I need..... Best of Luck Op.....

Well said, Ed. You are an inspiration to many who know your story. And you are "paying it forward". May God richly bless you for caring enough about others to share your "dark night of the soul".
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I consider myself "addicted." I do consider myself a very compulsive eater.

I have learned and practiced tools to manage my compulsion with food. I am resigned to the fact that I relate differently to food than "normal" people and I will have to manage my intake forever or I will gain all my weight back.

I saw a cognitive behavioral counselor who specialized in disordered eating for several years and it helped me to change some of my thought patterns and decision making. I will always have an abnormal relationship with food, though.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you've come as far as you have Ed, and trying to help others who are dealing with the same issues is honorable. However, there is a difference between a physical dependency on a cellular level and an emotional attachment. I'm not discounting what you or the OP is going though, but voicing my opinion on addiction/attachments in general. And FTR I did not complete a twelve step program. It was more like a three step....detox, feel like sh#t for three months, don't do opiates anymore.

Congrats on your progress though.
  • CyberEd312
    Options
    I'm glad you've come as far as you have Ed, and trying to help others who are dealing with the same issues is honorable. However, there is a difference between a physical dependency on a cellular level and an emotional attachment. I'm not discounting what you or the OP is going though, but voicing my opinion on addiction/attachments in general. And FTR I did not complete a twelve step program. It was more like a three step....detox, feel like sh#t for three months, don't do opiates anymore.

Thank but again and it is fine (you have your opinion and I have mine) but having studied the effects of my food addiction over the last 3 and 1/2 years I have come to the conclusion that someone like myself who was addicted to food and lets not mistake the common over eater and through them into this same category because a true addict can not control there addiction. It takes over there life and becomes that persons existence.

I have tons of studies and articles that i have read through and this being a tid bit of one of those articles:

While much of today's obesity is associated with environmental factors, there is a percentage of the population that is truly addicted to food. One might say chemically and emotionally. This is the focus of this paper.

Using alcoholism as a comparison, we make the distinction between moderate and heavy drinkers and the true alcoholic. The moderate and heavy drinker can stop or moderate their drinking when the alcohol affects their daily living. The alcoholic cannot. They develop a physical, mental and emotional phenomenon of craving and a chemical addiction to alcohol.
    Similarly with obesity, many overeaters can moderate and reduce their weight through a change in their diet and exercise. The food addict cannot. They develop the same physical, mental, emotional craving and chemical addiction to food.

Dr. Michael Rosenbaum, MD, Mill Valley California, believes that food in some people has a profound effect on the limbic portion of the brain. This portion of the brain is the control center of our emotions and memory; it controls several automatic functions such as body temperature, blood pressure, sleep, hunger, thirst, and even sexuality.
    Dr. William Philpott, MD, Oklahoma City, a clinical ecologist believes that food triggers a rise in the enkaphalin of the brain. The enkaphalin is an opiate narcotic produced by the body similar to externally supplied narcotics.
    Many people who are recovering overeaters are also recovering narcotic addicts often using narcotics to control their eating. This is similar to the alcoholic who uses cocaine to "control and improve" their drinking. Over the years many of the popular prescription diet aids were either opiate or amphetamine based. Those who are truly addicted to food display many of the characteristics of addicts and alcoholics. Including warped perceptions of reality, insecurities, fears, denial, hiding food (like hiding bottles), impaired physical reaction, lethargy, and even blackouts.
    Just like the narcotic addict's "drug of choice" varies from addict to addict, the food addict's "drug of choice" may vary. The most common drug of choice of food addicts is wheat. Products such as bread, cakes, pies, crackers, and cereals such as Wheaties. Other choices include corn and dairy products and to a lesser extent potatoes and rice.

And I have read and believe this to be fact that my addiction affected me both on more than just an emotional level, it was also physical and chemically induced... But again this is my belief and I respect yours as well just don't agree with you.....

Thanks again...
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ed, you are amazing. Losing that much takes such dedication and commitment. I think you are my hero for the day.
  • CyberEd312
    Options
    Ed, you are amazing. Losing that much takes such dedication and commitment. I think you are my hero for the day.

Thank You :flowerforyou:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Thank but again and it is fine (you have your opinion and I have mine) but having studied the effects of my food addiction over the last 3 and 1/2 years I have come to the conclusion that someone like myself who was addicted to food and lets not mistake the common over eater and through them into this same category because a true addict can not control there addiction. It takes over there life and becomes that persons existence.

I have tons of studies and articles that i have read through and this being a tid bit of one of those articles:

While much of today's obesity is associated with environmental factors, there is a percentage of the population that is truly addicted to food. One might say chemically and emotionally. This is the focus of this paper.

Using alcoholism as a comparison, we make the distinction between moderate and heavy drinkers and the true alcoholic. The moderate and heavy drinker can stop or moderate their drinking when the alcohol affects their daily living. The alcoholic cannot. They develop a physical, mental and emotional phenomenon of craving and a chemical addiction to alcohol.
    Similarly with obesity, many overeaters can moderate and reduce their weight through a change in their diet and exercise. The food addict cannot. They develop the same physical, mental, emotional craving and chemical addiction to food.

Dr. Michael Rosenbaum, MD, Mill Valley California, believes that food in some people has a profound effect on the limbic portion of the brain. This portion of the brain is the control center of our emotions and memory; it controls several automatic functions such as body temperature, blood pressure, sleep, hunger, thirst, and even sexuality.
    Dr. William Philpott, MD, Oklahoma City, a clinical ecologist believes that food triggers a rise in the enkaphalin of the brain. The enkaphalin is an opiate narcotic produced by the body similar to externally supplied narcotics.
    Many people who are recovering overeaters are also recovering narcotic addicts often using narcotics to control their eating. This is similar to the alcoholic who uses cocaine to "control and improve" their drinking. Over the years many of the popular prescription diet aids were either opiate or amphetamine based. Those who are truly addicted to food display many of the characteristics of addicts and alcoholics. Including warped perceptions of reality, insecurities, fears, denial, hiding food (like hiding bottles), impaired physical reaction, lethargy, and even blackouts.
    Just like the narcotic addict's "drug of choice" varies from addict to addict, the food addict's "drug of choice" may vary. The most common drug of choice of food addicts is wheat. Products such as bread, cakes, pies, crackers, and cereals such as Wheaties. Other choices include corn and dairy products and to a lesser extent potatoes and rice.

And I have read and believe this to be fact that my addiction affected me both on more than just an emotional level, it was also physical and chemically induced... But again this is my belief and I respect yours as well just don't agree with you.....

Thanks again...

Thanks, Ed. I think that there are physical elements for sure. I was addicted to sugar and wheat growing up and it continued well into adulthood. I'm quite certain of this, because when I stopped eating both of them, after the initial shock of craving, I now find it quite easy to control my eating. In fact, the more I exercise, the less I want to eat. Strange, isn't it? It's as if my body is saying, "Well, if you are going to make me work this hard, I'm just going to have to shut down your appetite." :laugh:
  • pinkcloudrising
    Options
    Thank you so much for your courage and congratulations on your recovery. I want what you have! I want the willingness to let go of the addiction. I've given up drugs and alcohol, one day at a time for over 26 years. I haven't been able to get any long term success with overcoming my food addiction but I have been able to let go of the anorexia and the bulimia. That is HUGE for me because I was killing myself more with those behaviors than with the food.

It is a difficult addiction and a lot of people don't believe it is in fact an addiction. Some people even believe that you can just starve or 'fast' or exercise more. I have had professionals tell me can't you just have a bite or just a little bit and throw the rest a way. Well no I can't. I am not able to eat a small bite and a little bit. No. No I can't.

I have had progress. I have had a hard row to hoe because I am anorexic, bulimic and a compulsive eater. It has been a long and arduous process for me to discover a lot of things about my food addiction. The more I know and the more I stay open and willing, the more I am able to recover.

I am just finding that the calories matter. I found out several years ago about how my carb intake affects my body size and my disease and thus my happiness and ability to function. I knew I was a sugar addict a long long long long time ago. I would steal sweets and money for sweets when I was about 6 years old. I got that I was a sugar addict a long time ago but didn't have the knowledge of what it was doing to my body and life until much later in life.

I needed to say all of that so that I could let myself, you and the person who wrote the original post that yes, Virginia, there is such thing as food addiction. I am living proof of it. Thanks again Ed, you inspire me.
  • PhiSigAmber
    PhiSigAmber Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Sugar consumption (particularly the fructose portion of sucrose) has been implicated as a major part of the problem of food addiction. Researchers have noted that fructose seems to have an "anti-satiety" factor that leads directly to overeating. Here's a link to the proceedings of a scientific conference on the subject from a couple of years ago: http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

I have found this to be SO true for me. Since cutting my sugar intake, my food addiction has become much more manageable, and my cravings are less frequent/intense.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options

I agree. Addiction is a choice, and the cure is personal responsibility.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

^QFT!
  • JediMomof3
    JediMomof3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fast food industries have formulated their meals to be the right combination of sugars and fats to stimulate the same parts of the brain that drugs trigger. That makes food an addiction.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

Hopefully, we all agree that not everyone is the same. We have different physical attributes, different body chemistry, different strengths and weaknesses, different talents. When we judge someone because they're not just like us, maybe we're missing out on appreciating how richly varied humanity is. And we're missing out on appreciating how blessed we are to have our own set of strengths.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, we all agree that not everyone is the same. We have different physical attributes, different body chemistry, different strengths and weaknesses, different talents. When we judge someone because they're not just like us, maybe we're missing out on appreciating how richly varied humanity is. And we're missing out on appreciating how blessed we are to have our own set of strengths.

No, we are not all the same. However, we do all have the same basic choices. We can all be personally responsible for the choices we make.

I have schizophrenia. I am expected to be on drugs. I *choose* not to take them. Having made that choice, I am personally responsible for maintaining control over my delusions, recognizing my hallucinations, and not reacting to either. It is VERY difficult sometimes, and it would certainly be easier if I took the drugs. I choose to take responsibility for my disease.

A person who chooses to give in to their addictions has no one to blame but themself. It is a CHOICE, and has nothing to do with how "different" you are from other people.

The average man thinks he isn't.