Ziploc Steam bags?

Options
I was wondering what those of you who have used the Ziploc microwave steam bags think of them. The idea seems pretty simple: veggies, seasoning, nuke, eat. Does it affect the flavor? I've only had the frozen steam in bag veggies from Birds Eye or Kroger, so they have the freezer taste.

Plus, any personal recipe favs would be very welcomed. I'm looking for a quick easy lunch veggie for me to toss together for work; I'm the person that generally prefers to cook herself at home, like steam the veggies on the stove. So, quick healthy is a bit new to me (other than salads, which I'm sick of!).

Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    LOOOOVE them! I steam everything from veggies to chicken! So easy and quick.
    I add seasoning - garlic, pepper, madras seasoning for chicken. I've never noticed any "taste", but I think what you are referring to is frozen veggies, which I always find soggy or freezer tasting.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    ditto mojogurl.

Also I have a cooktop steamer which is also very nice when you are cooking larger portions. Steamed veggies must be ruining the canned veggie market...:smile:
  • sna269
    sna269 Posts: 15
    Options
    Even using them for a piece of chicken or fish is wonderful too! Just add some spice rub and they come out flavorful and perfect!
  • krl523
    krl523 Posts: 53
    Options
    I get the ready made veggie steamers! I dont have to do anything with them but microwave and eat. Great taste...fast and efficient.
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    I adore the steamer bags......My fave thing is to chuck a bunch of veggies in with some seasoning and micorwave till just a little steamed...mmmmm Before I gave up meat, I used to love putting a salmon fillet in with citrus seasioning....mmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    how long do you steam chicken for?
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It looks like there are positive reviews! I'll have to give them a whirl :)
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    ditto mojogurl.

Also I have a cooktop steamer which is also very nice when you are cooking larger portions. Steamed veggies must be ruining the canned veggie market...:smile:

Canned veggies are all mushy and they add salt. ICK!