I feel like i'm eating ALL the time

sky379
sky379 Posts: 46
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am new to this site and I am confident that it will work, but I just need some re-assurance. I don't have a lot to lose, but it seems like I am constantly eating to keep up with my calorie count. I have a lot of exercise calories, so I am eating an additional 500-600 calories a day. I'm just used to the idea that to lose weight you excerise more and eat less. I've done that in the past and have had negative results (actually gaining weight, and I know (now) it was because I wasn't getting enough calories). This just doesn't feel like I am restricting what I eat, since I actually find that I am forcing myself to eat more, either calorie dense foods or eating more often (in order to meet my caloric needs). I don't want to get on the scale next week and find that I've gained weight from the additional calories I've been eating. Is this normal to feel this way?! Because if this works then that's great because I won't feel restricted (going out to dinner, etc.) as long as I work out. Does anyone else feel this way? And have you had positive results? I just need to be re-assured

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    If you are hungry all the time you may want to have larger meals or more balanced...eat things that will curb your appetite longer like fiber, fats, and proteins. And remember that even though you don't feel restricted when going out to eat, still be mindful of what you consume...eat more, but for the most part choose things that are not high in fat, sodium, and the bad carbs.
  • r_marcen
    r_marcen Posts: 1
    Greetings & Welcome...I can relate to being a bit hesitant about the caloric intake. I will tell you what I do and it seems to be working for me so far--although it might not be the correct way.

Even when I exercise & they tagged on my "earned" calories--I do NOT use them. I keep my intake (or try to) at 1200-- I am seeing results & Feeling good. I do not have much to lose either, but am determined to get to my goal!

Best of Luck to you!!!
  • i'm feeling the exact same way. i get an extra 400-600 calories per day, and i don't think i've lost any weight, due to eating those calories. maybe we should stick to our 1200 calories and not go past that (to lose weight). will you keep me updated on how you do for the week? i'm a lil' frustrated too. ugh!
  • sky379
    It is not that I am hungry all the time, I just feel that I am eating a whole more in order to reach my goal of net calories. I guess, I am just not used to the idea of eating more (when working out) and actually losing weight.
  • sky379
    If you are hungry all the time you may want to have larger meals or more balanced...eat things that will curb your appetite longer like fiber, fats, and proteins. And remember that even though you don't feel restricted when going out to eat, still be mindful of what you consume...eat more, but for the most part choose things that are not high in fat, sodium, and the bad carbs.

It is not that I am hungry all the time, I just feel that I am eating a whole more in order to reach my goal of net calories. I guess, I am just not used to the idea of eating more (when working out) and actually losing weight.
  • Ive tried the site twice, the first time i ate my exercise cals, didnt lose hardly anything. Now i dont eat my exercise calories, and ive lost 5 pounds already! So my advice is to stick to the amount youre allowed.
  • tabbyanny
    tabbyanny Posts: 17
    I get a lot of extra calories from exercise, but don't use them either... To consume the extra calories you've earned is actually the way you maintain your current weight. Just keep your caloric intake down to 1200 and keep exercising and you WILL lose weight! Also, make sure you down that water....I'm addicted to diet sodas, but they are still no good for you when you're dieting! Don't eat any less either, because the less you eat the slower your metabolism gets causing you to gain. Hope this helps! Don't get discouraged if you gain a pound here or there... Stay determined and you will do great!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Hi there!

I have this same exact thought several times a week, so I can totally relate! For me, I choose not to purposely eat my exercise calories (some days I can't help but eat some), but my situation is a bit different since my daily goal is already so much higher than 1200. I attribute this to the different kind of foods I'm eating now. It is really easy to rack up 2000 cals when you're eating junk, but when everything is low cal, low fat & healthy, it takes a LOT of food to equal 2000 cals. And the time it takes to chew all those fruits & veggies, no wonder we feel like we're always eating. We are! (compared to what it used to be like). Feel free to check out my diaries if you're curious, you'll see I eat a lot of food!

Take care,
    Diane
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    I get a lot of extra calories from exercise, but don't use them either... To consume the extra calories you've earned is actually the way you maintain your current weight. Just keep your caloric intake down to 1200 and keep exercising and you WILL lose weight! Also, make sure you down that water....I'm addicted to diet sodas, but they are still no good for you when you're dieting! Don't eat any less either, because the less you eat the slower your metabolism gets causing you to gain. Hope this helps! Don't get discouraged if you gain a pound here or there... Stay determined and you will do great!

That's not true. To maintain your weight, you would reset your goals to weight maintenance and the calorie deficit would be removed allowing you to eat more cal. The sit sets a deficit for you so that you can technically lose weight witout exercise, except we all know it's healthier to exercise so we do. If you set your goals to lose 1 lb a week, the site sets your calorie intake at 500 cal less than you actually need so you will subtract 3500 cal at the end of 7 days and therefore lose 1 lb. I f you don't eat the calories allotted from exercising you are putting your body in an even greater calorie deficit. Say you burn 300 cal from running, then if you don't eat those 300 cal, you are now in an 800 cal deficit. Dong this can slow metabolism and therefore slow weightloss, and you are putting yourself at risk of not getting all the nutrient your body needs. type this topic into the search and read some of the past threads to understand better
  • sky379
    If you set your goals to lose 1 lb a week, the site sets your calorie intake at 500 cal less than you actually need so you will subtract 3500 cal at the end of 7 days and therefore lose 1 lb. I f you don't eat the calories allotted from exercising you are putting your body in an even greater calorie deficit. Say you burn 300 cal from running, then if you don't eat those 300 cal, you are now in an 800 cal deficit.

Yes I agree with you. I know that I should eat my exercise calories. But this brings me to another question. My net calorie intake is set at 1200, since the site won't go below that, but that only gives me a deficit of 420 calories. Not even one pound.

Would you suggest that I manually change my calorie goal to 1120, so that I have at least a deficit of 500, or should I just not eat 80 (1lb/week) or 330 (for 1.5 lb for week). of my exercise calories?
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    If you set your goals to lose 1 lb a week, the site sets your calorie intake at 500 cal less than you actually need so you will subtract 3500 cal at the end of 7 days and therefore lose 1 lb. I f you don't eat the calories allotted from exercising you are putting your body in an even greater calorie deficit. Say you burn 300 cal from running, then if you don't eat those 300 cal, you are now in an 800 cal deficit.

Yes I agree with you. I know that I should eat my exercise calories. But this brings me to another question. My net calorie intake is set at 1200, since the site won't go below that, but that only gives me a deficit of 420 calories. Not even one pound.

Would you suggest that I manually change my calorie goal to 1120, so that I have at least a deficit of 500, or should I just not eat 80 (1lb/week) or 330 (for 1.5 lb for week). of my exercise calories?

I don't suggest taking in less than your BMR
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Try eating higher calorie foods. Just because something is high in calories doesn't mean it's unhealthy. 2tbs of natural peanut butter & 8oz of 2% milk will add over 300 *healthy* calories to your day!

Edit: Thanks Iamladybird for being patient & kind enough to clear up that little bit of misinformation. :flowerforyou:
  • tabbyanny
    tabbyanny Posts: 17

That's not true. To maintain your weight, you would reset your goals to weight maintenance and the calorie deficit would be removed allowing you to eat more cal. The sit sets a deficit for you so that you can technically lose weight witout exercise, except we all know it's healthier to exercise so we do. If you set your goals to lose 1 lb a week, the site sets your calorie intake at 500 cal less than you actually need so you will subtract 3500 cal at the end of 7 days and therefore lose 1 lb. I f you don't eat the calories allotted from exercising you are putting your body in an even greater calorie deficit. Say you burn 300 cal from running, then if you don't eat those 300 cal, you are now in an 800 cal deficit. Dong this can slow metabolism and therefore slow weightloss, and you are putting yourself at risk of not getting all the nutrient your body needs. type this topic into the search and read some of the past threads to understand better

Yes, I know all that. That is what I was trying to say, just didn't word it right......didn't go into reseting your goals. I did say that the less you eat the slower your metabolism gets though! "Certain people will go even higher than a 500 al deficit, opting for 750 calories or 1000 calories less than what they burn each day. Typically with this, it will be more tolerable the heavier a person is, since they will have more body fat stores on which they can use for fuel." This is the rule I go by right now, because I am currently at 38% body fat... Naturally, the more fat I lose, the less my calorie deficit will be.. I am building plenty of muscle right now to help keep my metabolism high! Thank you for clearing that up for the original question!
This discussion has been closed.