Can anyone help? Nothing seems to be working

Options

Replies

• laurarose831
    laurarose831 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've looked at a lot of BMR/TDEE/calorie calculators lately and I'm feeling pretty confused. Is there any kind of consensus where I should set my daily goal? MFP's calculator tells me 1200, someone suggested 1300. Assuming I do a better job of choosing my calories AND eating back the calories I exercise off every day so that I really do get to a net calorie limit, where should I set my goal?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    This might not be the kind of help you're looking for right now (and it might make me a little unpopular around these parts), but have you considered that this is just how your body is designed? I definitely concur with the suggestions to eat more, but if you're eating healthfully and exercising and your body is performing well, then it's possible that you're just genetically predisposed to carry a little bit extra around your belly and hips.

Again, I understand that this is a site for weight loss and that's why you're here. However, I hope this little bit of extra weight doesn't stress you out too much. Healthy > skinny, and you're already beautiful!
    I definitely appreciate your thoughts on this, and I fully admit that it's possible. But I am going by how I felt at a lighter weight and how I feel now. I don't feel good! I don't quite know how to explain it, but I feel fairly certain that my body isn't designed to be at this weight. I don't mean this in a vain messed-up-self-image kind of way, but you can see the extra weight, and it looks like just that, extra weight. I can certainly feel it. It's amazing how a few pounds make a difference!

After seeing your height and weight, I had the same thoughts as the poster. At 5'0, I can't imagine myself being down to 110 (I'm happiest at 120 and about 22% body fat or less). On the other hand, I understand how you're feeling with the extra weight not feeling right. I would suggest, though, that instead of looking at the scale, focus on your measurements. Make sure you lift! I don't know what you're doing right now, but I would hazard to say that if you're not using anything heavier than 10 lb dumbbells, you probably aren't really giving yourself the benefits of lifting. Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women (try the library first!) or maybe even a few sessions with a trainer. Let go of the scale and have fun with the whole workout thing!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've looked at a lot of BMR/TDEE/calorie calculators lately and I'm feeling pretty confused. Is there any kind of consensus where I should set my daily goal? MFP's calculator tells me 1200, someone suggested 1300. Assuming I do a better job of choosing my calories AND eating back the calories I exercise off every day so that I really do get to a net calorie limit, where should I set my goal?

It's a little arbitrary. Depends on which formula you use. TDEE - 20% vs TDEE - 500. The important thing in my opinion is that you eat back your exercise calories, because this assumes you do no exercise. The other important thing is that you consistently end the day close to your goal.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Some thoughts:

You mentioned that prior to your weight gain you didn't eat very much, and that 1300 cals seems like a lot of food. If you've been eating low-cal for an extended period of time, you've probably dropped your BMR below what online calculators would suggest it should be. Eating at 1300-1400 calories will cause initial weight gain, but your body will adjust over time and you should start losing.

Get your body composition determined - measure your body fat percentage. That tells you a lot more about what goal you should be aiming for. Rather than trying to lose weight, try to lose fat and inches. Heavy lifting is a good way to go about this. Finding a program (Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting For Women, Stronglifts, trainer-designed, etc) and sticking to it will cause good changes in your body.

High sugar levels tend to hinder my weight loss. Try to avoid foods with added/refined sugar.

Any possibility you have any allergies or intolerances? Gluten, dairy, etc? If these things are present in your diet and your body's sensitive to them, that could be messing with your weight as well.

Drink more water.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Some thoughts:

You mentioned that prior to your weight gain you didn't eat very much, and that 1300 cals seems like a lot of food. If you've been eating low-cal for an extended period of time, you've probably dropped your BMR below what online calculators would suggest it should be. Eating at 1300-1400 calories will cause initial weight gain, but your body will adjust over time and you should start losing.

This is true, more or less. If I were the OP, I'd actually consider gaining a little bit of weight. Eating a mild calorie surplus for a few months while lifting to gain 5-10 pounds would mean several pounds of lean mass, and then when you lose the fat you'd look significantly more toned and you may have well boosted your metabolism.

But no girl who wants to be thinner wants to hear "gain some weight first" in March ;)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

I found that there is a lot of disagreement, from one calculator to another, on what my BMR is too (anywhere from 1050 to 1400, approximately). And then you have to also account for all the extra activity you're doing. I would guess that your TDEE is probably around 2000-2200 (based on your height/weight/activity level and my own results from all these calculators. DISCLAIMER - this is very vague ballpark and may not be at all accurate!). If MFP has given you1200 calories, you probably set it to lose at least 1 lb per week. When you are this close to your goal, and especially when your goal is the low end of normal weight, it is going to be a lot harder to lose. Set MFP to -1/2 pound per week and eat back all your exercise calories (that will probably give you around 1800 on the days you workout). It really does help to eat more; best if that more comes from good food :wink: . And, like I said above, measurements are going to tell more of the story now that the scale!!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    No, sounds like it's not. I don't know how to fix my ticker, but I'm trying to lose about 15-20 pounds at the moment.

Not the easiest thing to find on here. To change your ticker, go to Apps, then Ticker. That would give everyone a better idea of your weight loss goal.
  • monkeymegan
    Options
    I agree, on the getting off the birth control. I never had weight problems until I started taking it. And now that I'm off hormonal birth control it has made all the difference in my overall progress, fat percentage lost, better mood, etc. Some women just don't react well to hormonal birth control.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You can change your settings by going into your Home the click on Goals.
    And i looked at your diary and yes you need to eat MORE and really watch the SUGAR your's are very high and you should up your Protein i find MFP have the Protein VERY low i would up it to say like 80 g if not more

[/quote]
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I was on yaz for 5 years. 4 weeks ago my doctor took me off of it. I was having the same problem you are. You may have an estorgen imbalance especially if you have been taking it for a long time. Estrogen works contradictory to your thyroid hormones, therefore, when you have excess estrogen, it can in a sense, slow down your metabolism. Yaz slowed my thyroid down. My TSH tested at 2.75 which by most doctors is considered normal. Upon further research and being highly symptomatic of hypothyroidism, my doctor put me on 25 mg Synthroid. It has helped 100%. I have dropped about 4 pounds since then.

Try adding strength training 3 times a week.

Make sure you are drinking your water everyday. Weigh and measure everything. And try upping your calories a bit. I actually workout 6 times a week and set my diary to sedentary. Thus, I try mostly to eat most of my calories back. I wear a HRM to get a better handle on calorie burn and estimate that I burn about 75% of that. Then I eat those calories back.

Cutting to the chase: If you dont NEED Yaz for preventing pregnancy, get off it. I feel 100% better not being on it. And being put on Synthroid has made an amazing difference. If your TSH is above 2.5, I'd have further discussions with your doctor about subclinical hypothyroidism.

Good luck!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Just because I finally have an excuse to post it, here's a collection of quotes I gathered from women over the course of a couple hours on MFP one day:

I belonged to Curves a few years ago. It didn't do squat for me. I'm in better shape now after only a month and a half of lifting than I was after a year of curves.

In 3 weeks [of lifting weights] I have seen more progress then the last 8 months of cardio.

I've lifted in the past. I have been doing mostly cardio for the last year because I didn't want to put in the effort I knew I needed to and pick up some damned weights. Laziness mostly. But after a year of stalled weigh loss and not looking like I want to look, I'm sucking it up and doing it the right way again. lol

I've always known lifting weights was good but relied on cardio to help me lose weight in the past. I lost weight but did not achieve the body I wanted... January 1st I... began the Stronglifts 5x5 program. In about 7 weeks I've lost 7lbs, inches and about 1% bf. I feel strong and I much prefer this to cardio.

I have been lifting heavy since February 8th and I am already seeing amazing results. I tried to say heavylifting wasn't for me, but I am now finding I was so wrong!!!!!

Well I've done cardio only for a year and I don't look good. I'm back to lifting.

I'm pretty sure based on the pics and comments I've read here on MFP that I would be much happier and look better naked if I had lifted while I was losing weight.

I'm not going to bother looking any up but I'll state that I've read a lot of it. I got to my goal sedentary. I was slim, 5'7, 120lbs, 17% fat (fairly low), exercised regularly (walking and doing the expert hiking trails around here regularly), and had a squishy gut and didn't like wearing tight pants. It was 25 inches around....but it was squishy. I also have a bad/displaced spine. A lot of my friends list was at me to lift. My back was breaking over carrying my own book bag let alone lifting weights regularly. Then one day a guy from my class asked if I wanted to start a lifting routine with him. Well we've recruited about 7 more people to lift with us and we all agree we've never felt better. The squish on my stomach is lacking a lot of squish even though I'm 10lbs heavier now (on a calorie surplus, not on a deficit as I didn't want to be below 120lbs at 5'7). I carry my bookbag with me everywhere now, sometimes I forget there's anything in it.
    P.S. This is coming from a completely I HATE weights person. I would rather prance around doing high kicks on a dance stage...but I just can't deny the benefits.

well i dieted to loose weight and at first just did cardio. i did lose fat(about 80 pounds at first) but then i was all skin and bones no shape and a flabby belly skin i looked great in clothes (wearing extra small clothing items) but when ever i would remove said clothes i would look just unhealthy . i started lifting , doing body pump mostly and continued doing some cardio and i shaped up!! i gained weight but i am not bulky and am not planning on getting bulky . my arms, butt and stomach has definition now and i feel way more confident . i now wear small clothes but i fill it good and i look great naked . i have more energy and am more in control and stable when i work out. i strongly encourage any women to lift ! ( look at my pictures if you want to see results )
  • laurarose831
    Options
    Well, okay! I'm definitely going to look into heavy lifting. I mean, a picture says a thousand words. Plus, I've been hearing about it a lot lately and generally thinking about what else I could do for exercise that would be more effective. I'm the kind of person who does well with "programs" but not classes, and I've never tried a trainer. Are these books pretty easy to figure out on one's own? Are they pretty regimented and step-by-step? I might have some basic resources and of course equipment through the local rec center I attend, but nothing too elaborate.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" and 228, you are at a BMI of 22, perfectly in the middle of a healthy weight range. Like others have pointed out, you are not 18 anymore and you now are getting a woman's body. Trying to get back to your teenage weight will drive you nuts. Don't focus on the scale. If you don't like the way your body looks, then start strength training. At 5'6" I was 118 at one point in HS, but there is no way in hades I could ever get close to that again, nor should I try.
    The 'Freshman 15' isn't just because girls eat more in college. It is because their bodies are changing into an adult. Don't fight becoming an adult. It's pretty cool!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Well, okay! I'm definitely going to look into heavy lifting. I mean, a picture says a thousand words. Plus, I've been hearing about it a lot lately and generally thinking about what else I could do for exercise that would be more effective. I'm the kind of person who does well with "programs" but not classes, and I've never tried a trainer. Are these books pretty easy to figure out on one's own? Are they pretty regimented and step-by-step? I might have some basic resources and of course equipment through the local rec center I attend, but nothing too elaborate.

I can only speak for Starting Strength.

The program is straightforward. It's kinda braindead easy, really. You do this lift this many times, and next time you do it again but with more weight on the bar. Repeat.

The lifts themselves are complicated affairs, though. The squat in particular has a lot of moving parts and a lot of things that can go wrong. Starting Strength dedicates a large portion of the (hefty) book to the squat. It's the sort of thing you want to break out the camera for and practice in your living room before getting under the bar, and you want to start light and get the form down before adding real weight. If you're dedicated, it's definitely something you can learn to do on your own with help from the likes of MFP and Youtube.
  • jamieeas
    jamieeas Posts: 21
    Options

Nutritionally, I'd suggest you up the protein goal at the expense of some of the carbs. I find protein more filling. And yeah definitely get the sugar a little more under control. All that granola is *loaded* with sugar.

It looks like you do some sort of strength training. I dunno what that is, but honestly my suggestion is to drop some of the cardio you're doing and start a real lifting program, with free weights. I know that's easier said than done but tons of people on MFP have done it, and they've been pretty much universally blown away by the results.

Sorry to make every answer another question, but this is so helpful. Can you (or anyone else who's had success with it) be more specific as to how to go about doing "a real lifting program"?

Strength training has been a life saver for me. I do high weights, 12-15 reps, 3 sets each exercise - alternating days between upper and lower body. How you can tell if you're lifting enough weight is that it starts to burn really good around your 10th rep. I tried "toning" by lifting light weights and doing tons of reps and it didn't do a thing for me except take up a lot of time. If you get into a really good strength training routine, you'll see those problem areas tighten up. As for how to do a real lifting program, you can either buy some free weights, or jump into it at the gym. Don't let the guys lifting scare you off. A lot of them will probably even give you tips. If you are afraid of the free weights section, then stick to the machines for a while. Also, I love my cardio too, but I still have a lot of weight to lose. However, with my strength training, I'm about 3 sizes smaller than other people my weight. It's not all about the number on the scale. Someone your size really needs a moderate amount of cardio and a good strength training plan. With this, you'll lose a few pounds (maybe not as much as you want), BUT you'll gain lean muscle mass and get smaller. Nutritionally, cut out the added sugar, up the protein a bit, and avoid processed carbs. Get your sugar from natural sources (fresh fruit, dairy, etc.), and eat whole grains rather than processed.

Check out Staci's story (this girl is an inspiration to me)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

and while I don't eat Paleo, I love her whole story. Good luck!

BTW, I started heavy lifting about a month ago - I've already lost 3 inches from my waist, 2 on my thighs, and I don't have such chicken wing arms. :)
  • kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The whole purpose of having you eat the calories burned on this program is because it has already calculated what you need to eat (calories) to lose "x" amount of weight per week without exercise. If you are exercising a lot, YOU HAVE TO EAT MORE! I see this on here a lot.... The idea is that on average you need at least 1200 just to survive, so if you are not eating enough your body goes into starvation mode AND you will either not loose weight or you will gain weight. Eat what it says you are allowed! I did the same thing, and it works. I watch my personal training clients closely to make sure they are not undereating. I challenge you for a month to eat more and see what happens. At this point, what do you have to loose????
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I agree with incorporating strength as well as upping your calories a bit. Howver DO NOT get scared from an initial weight gain. I've always done strength and you may not lose weight, but you'll lose inches. Also, when I upped my calories I gained about 5 pounds in the first month, but have been consistently dropping 1.5-2 pounds per week since. Give your body time to adjust to the changes. Best of luck!
  • laurarose831
    Options
    Well, I certainly have a few ideas and things to change! Of course I welcome more, but for now, I want to say that I appreciate everyone's thoughts from tonight.
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    OMG...you are NOT eating enough food! I looked at your diary - where are the nutrients? There is hardly any protein and a lot of food that doesn't give you much nutrition-wise.

I am not a doctor, but if I attempted to eat like you, I would be exhausted all the time and would end up bloated and sluggish.

I started losing weight once I (a) cut back on sugars and grains, (b) worked out at a lower intensity for more hours per week walking and swimming (got a heart rate monitor which helps me with exercise goals), (c) started strength training 2-3 times per week (d) increased low-carb veggies and lean proteins. I eat A LOT of protein (one shake several times a week, plus grilled chicken, feta cheese, eggs).

I use something called Liver Cleanse to get rid of all the excess estrogen built up in my system - I avoid dairy (except sheep's milk feta cheese) and soy, as they both do nasty things to your hormones. If you get off birth control, you can look up Liver Cleans and something called Bio-PMT (you take the Bio-PMT from ovulation til you get your period). Both of these have been helping me get my hormones straightened out.

Also, be sure you are getting enough sleep - like 8-10 hours a night, especially if you are working out a lot.

In sum, please eat more, and be sure you are eating enough protein. You cannot build muscle without enough protein. And if you are a vegetarian, then you need to be eating A LOT more vegetables than you are if that's how you plan to get your protein.

I ended up using the tdee calculator to figure out how much to eat: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    I included exercising one hour per day. Then after it told me how many calories to eat, I subtracted 20% for that. I put my exercise into MFP at the end of the day and do NOT eat the calories back, as they are already included in my calorie goal for the day. You can use custom settings on MFP to put in your calories.
  • james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    Watch this Video from Layne Norton to see why.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

I have better things to do than watch some guy say "um" for 26 minutes, but thanks for the effort.

If you don't want to listen to a guy with these credentials then not sure what to tell you

Education:
    BS in Biochemistry from Eckerd College with honors (>3.5 GPA) in 2004
    PhD Nutritional Sciences with honors (>3.5 GPA), University of Illinois 2010
    Thesis Title: Leucine is a critical factor determining protein quantity and quality to initiate muscle protein synthesis

Current Work:
    Bodybuilding/figure/physique coach
    Scivation consultant
    IFPA & NGA natural pro bodybuilder
    Professional Powerlifter

Bodybuilding Career Highlights:
    2001 INBF Mid America Muscle Classic overall Teen champion
    2002 SNBF Tennessee men's open tall champion
    2004 ABA Mr. Indiana men's open overall champion
    2004 ABA Mr. Illinois men's open overall champion
    2006 OCB Spirit of America men's open heavyweight runner-up
    2006 OCB Great Lakes States men's open overall champion*
    2006 NGA Heart of America Natural Classic men's open overall champion*
    2010 IFPA Pro International: Heavyweight Winner
    2010 IFPAGaspari Pro Classic: 4th Place Heavyweight
    2010 IFP Yorton Cup Pro World Championships: 5th Place Heavyweight
    2010 NGA Pro Universe: 4th Place
    *denotes pro qualifier

Powerlifting Highlights:
    2009 AAPF Illinois Raw Power Challenge 220 lb class champion
    2010 Pro Raw Unity 220 lb class 4th place
    2011 Raw United Tony Conyers Extravaganza 220 lb class champion and best pound for pound lifter
    2012 APF Europa Pro Raw Challenge 220 lb class champion

Best Lifts: 617 lb squat, 386 lb bench press, 700lb deadlift in 220lb class. Best single meet 3 lift total: 1680 lb
    Achieved 'Elite' Raw Total classification

Other Highlights:
    Appeared in Repetrope DVD "Prime Cuts Volume 1" in 2004
    2006 Los Alamos Bodybuilding Championships guest poser
    Layne Norton Unleashed DVD
    2010 OCB Midwest States Guest Poser
    Chosen for 2010 Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering
    2010 Recipient of the Graduate Student Research Award from the American Society for Nutrition
    Layne Norton Reloaded DVD

Magazines:
    Articles have appeared in Muscular Development, Planet Muscle, Ironman, Fitness and Physique, and Natural Bodybuilding and Fitness.

Scientific Publications:
    Click below to download my PhD thesis "Leucine is a critical factor determining protein quantity and quality of a complete meal to initiate muscle protein synthesis"
    Layne Norton PhD Thesis
    Norton LE and Layman DK. Leucine regulates translation initiation of protein synthesis in skeletal muscle after exercise. J Nutr. 2006; 136(2):533S-537S
    Norton J Nutr 2006
    Norton, L.E., Layman, D.K., Garlick, P.J., Brana, D., Anthony, T.G., Zhao, L., Devkota, S. and Walker, D.A., (2007) Translational controls of skeletal muscle protein synthesis are delayed and prolonged associated with ingestion of a complete meal. 2007 Experimental Biology meeting abstracts [on CD-ROM], Abstract #694.6
    Norton LE, Layman DK, Garlick PJ et al. Isonitrogenous protein sources with different leucine contents differentially effect translation initiation and protein synthesis in skeletal muscle. FASEB J. 2008 (abstract). Norton LE, Layman DK, Garlick PJ et al. Isonitrogenous protein sources with different leucine contents differentially effect translation initiation and protein synthesis in skeletal muscle. FASEB J. 2008 (abstract).
    Optimal protein intake to maximize muscle protein synthesis: Examinations of optimal meal protein intake and frequency for maximizing muscle mass in athletes. Agro Food Ind. High-Tech. 2009 Mar/Apr;20(2):54-57.
    Norton J Ag Food Ind Hi Tech 2008
    Norton LE, Layman DK, Bunpo P, Anthony TG, Brana DV, Garlick PJ.The leucine content of a complete meal directs peak activation but not duration of skeletal muscle protein synthesis and Mammalian target of rapamycin signaling in rats. J Nutr. 2009 Jun;139(6):1103-9.
    Norton J Nutr 2009
    Norton LE, Layman DK, Wilson GJ, Moulton CJ, Rupassara SI, Garlick PJ. Leucine contents of isonitrogenous protein sources predict changes in body composition and muscle mass in rats FASEB J April 6, 2010 24:97.5
    Wilson GJ, Norton LE, Moulton CJ, Rupassara SI, Garlick PJ, Layman DK. Equal Distributions of Dietary Protein Throughout the Day Maximizes Rat Skeletal Muscle Mass FASEB J April 6, 2010 24:740.17
    Thorpe MP, Norton LE, Moulton CJ, Johnson AJW, Evans EM, Layman DK. Protein source modifies bone health in adult rats FASEB J April 6, 2010 24:767.7
    Moulton CJ, Norton LE, Wilson GJ, Layman DK. Long-term consumption of leucine-rich meals is associated with mitochondrial changes in skeletal muscle of rats FASEB J March 17, 2011 25:774.15
    Wilson GJ, Moulton CJ, Norton LE, Layman DK, Anthony TG, Rupassara SI, Garlick PJ. Muscle Protein Synthesis Refractoriness is overcome by an Oral Leucine or Carbohydrate Supplement FASEB J March 17, 2011 25:233.3
    Wilson GJ, Layman DK, Moulton CJ, Norton LE, Anthony TG, Proud CG, Rupassara SI, Garlick PJ. Leucine or carbohydrate supplementation reduces AMPK and eEF2 phosphorylation and extends postprandial muscle protein synthesis and rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Dec;301(6):E1236-42.
    Wilson_Norton AJP 2011
    Wilson JM, Wilson SMC, Loenneke JP, Wray M, Norton LE, Campbell BI, Lowery RP, Stout JR. Effects of Amino Acids and their Metabolites on Aerobic and Anaerobic Sports. Strength & Conditioning J. 2012 Epub ahead of print.
    Norton LE, Wilson GJ, Layman DK, Moulton CJ, Garlick PJ. Protein distribution affects muscle mass based on differences in postprandial muscle protein synthesis and plasma leucine in rats. Int Soc Sports Nutr Symposium. 2012 Poster
    2012_ISSN_poster
    Norton LE, Wilson GJ, Layman DK, Moulton CJ, Garlick PJ. Leucine content of dietary proteins is a determinant of postprandial skeletal muscle protein synthesis in adult rats. Nutr & Metab. 2012 9:67
    N&M Norton 2012
    Wilson JM, Lowery RP, Joy JM, Walters JA, Baier SM, Fuller JC, Stout JR, Norton LE, Sikorski EM, Wilson SMC, Duncan NM, Nelo ZE, Rathmacher J. B-Hydroxy-B-methylbutyrate free acid reduces markers of exercise-induced muscle damage and improves recovery in resistance-trained men. Br J Nutr. 2013 Jan 3:1-7.