IUD vs. the Pill

Options
12346»

Replies

• KristenRidl
    KristenRidl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been using Mirena for over 5 years now. I recently got my first one removed and immediately had a new one inserted. (This was about a month ago.) Of course, I was very worried about the possibility of gaining weight, or any of the other nasty side effects I read about online (acne, back aches, mood swings, etc.). However, I am pleased to report that I have had no weight gain (still losing just as I was before), and basically zero side-effects. (NOTE: I did gain some water weight for the week immediately following insertion, but it left just as quickly as it arrived.) I personally love Mirena, and plan on using it until it no longer works for me (if that ever happens).

If you are sensitive to hormones, you might have slightly different results. For me, by body takes the added hormones like a champ, which could be a reason I find it works so well.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/withdrawal-pull-out-method-4218.htm I just wanted to add this link about withdrawal. Forgive me... it's 96% effective.
  • amymina
    amymina Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just finished a five year run with the mirena, had absolutely no problems and love it. Haven't had a period in over 3 years and experienced very little discomfort in the beginning. I also have three kids and do not want any more, and have had one on the pill, and one after I was told that I probably couldn't have anymore. I finally finished college and got my degree in nursing almost two years ago and refuse to go through it again if it can be prevented. I would love to get the tubes tied, but the doctor won't do it until I lose enough weight due to it being done laparoscopicilly and they don't want to pierce an intestine by mistake because of the extra weight. So, will be getting another Mirena, and once that one comes out will be getting my tubes tied.

And I don't care what they say, pullout is not effective enough, so I wouldn't rely on it. Sperm is still released before the main event at the end, so there is always a chance of pregnancy. As I have learn through life, pregnancy is not something to take a chance with, especially trying to go to school.

Good luck!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena for 4 years. I was a perfect example of how great it is. I had non problems with it at all. I did not have a period while o had it, to me that was a positive side effect. I also was able to lose almost 40 lbs that the pill, a desk job, and horrible habits had given me. The only reason I did not get another one after my daughter was born was for spiritual and religious reasons. Now we use NFP.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    How about have dude/s buy some condoms or just have dude/s just pull it out at the end... :wink:

1) Allergic to latex and lamb condoms are expensive
    2) pull out method is only effective 30% of the time

That's not true. When done properly, withdrawal is 98% effective. I've been using it for years (and so have some of my girlfriends) without any accidents.

Withdrawl *can* work when used *with* the rhythm method. Like no BC is 100% effective, this one can be pretty effective, but only along with the rhythm method and with a woman with a very regular cycle. That being said, my friend has a 5 year old from this method. :)
  • jumpingsparrow
    Options
    I love my Mirena. I've had it for almost three and a half years. No acne, no abnormal weight gain, no pregnancy scares, or any other side effects. I plan on getting another one put in right after this one comes out in a year and a half!

The reason I chose Mirena: I had been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and liked it because I would start my period on the exact same day every month for a very short cycle. But, because it was expensive, even with insurance, I decided to go on Seasonique so I only had to buy my birth control every three months. However, my periods lasted longer. I started seeing commercials for Mirena and decided to research it a bit. I asked my gynecologist about it because I had read that Mirena wouldn't be administered to people that haven't had kids before. My doctor said the increase for infertility was very low (like less than 1% or something (don't quote me on that, it was a few years ago...) ).

When I got the IUD put in - IT HURT. That night was also very painful. Take some painkillers! But after that, it didn't hurt. The only time I noticed my IUD was when I was with my larger-membered boyfriend whom would hit it sometimes (he said he could feel it poke him every now and then, but it didn't hurt him). It was a little uncomfortable and would sometimes bleed very, very lightly. However, I had only had the IUD for a couple months, so that could be the reason, because that problem eventually went away.

As for my period, I didn't have one for the first two years that I had Mirena. (But, please remember I was only getting my period every three months before that.) Now I get it usually every other month or so. I get very sore boobs (worse than any other pill I've ever been on) so I know my period is on it's way. Once my period starts, my boobs don't hurt as bad. My period are extremely light - like almost to where I feel like it's pointless to wear a tampon and opt for a panty-liner.
  • MissCaroline71
    MissCaroline71 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also have not had kids, and had a Mirena inserted (I was living in Switzerland at the time, and they would not give me my Depo shots as they felt I was too overweight).

The Mirena insertion was incredibly painful, and I had terrible cramps and pains for up to 6weeks after - if it hadnt hurt so much going in - I would have had it taken out at that point....

Fast Forward 3 years: I LOVE MY MIRENA! Its wonderful to not have to remember anything, I have zero periods and zero side effects now. I didnt notice any weightgain - but I was already fairly heavy.

In 2 years I have to have it removed/replaced - Im hoping my husband will decide on a vasectomy...

Im 41
  • Lampaul29
    Lampaul29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was on the Mirena for 2 years and hated it! The insertion was incredibly painful and I bled for 3 months after that. My periods were irregular and long. I also gained over 40lbs on it, had acne, mood swings, etc... I had it removed 2 days ago :)
  • sandiswork
    Options
    I was on Mirena for a year and put on 15 pounds, developed acne, mood swings, no libido. I just had it removed 2 days ago and cannot wait to get back to myself. My husband is getting a vasectomy, as he has 4 kids (2 mine, 2 his from a previous marriage.) I am hoping to lose the extra weight. I have never been overweight, and I am uncomfy in my own skin. It's BS. It'll be nice to not have the roller coaster mood swings, too!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill for years and got Mirena in September 2012. The only problems I've had is the pain when I first got it (I've never had kids, so the doctor had to open my cervix - painful while it was happening and cramping after, but overall not unbearable. I took some Aleve and laid on the couch and a couple hours later, the pain was completely gone), and I'm back to having the severe cramps I used to have before I was on the pill. I just went to my doctor a couple weeks ago to check it out, and they said the IUD is perfect, and since I used to have this same cramping problem (the reason I originally went on the pill), they just gave me some strong painkillers for them. I have gained weight, but I can't blame that on the IUD.... I haven't been running or using MFP much since probably July last year (stupid boyfriend distracting me from my goals :tongue: ), but I'm back to it and hoping to drop the weight again.
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have had a long history of problems with progesterone birth control. I was on depo for a year and bleed the entire year, had bad weight gain and emotional problems with a host of pills. Due to that reason, I chose the copper IUD instead since Mirena is a progesterone based birth control.

LOVE my IUD, I've had it for 3 years now.
  • oboeaddict
    Options
    I have had the Mirena for 4 1/2 years. I love it. No periods. No cramping. Rarely spotting unless I'm really stressed out. I hesitate getting it out sometimes, the thought of a period again...
    I never had a child, didn't want one. My ob/gyn let me have the Mirena, but not essure (I'm only 30). My first ob/gyn didn't even give me the option of the IUD. Hated the pill, tried the mini-pill and it was far better (second best thing to the Mirena). The Mirena was the best thing I ever did.
    I also have type 1 diabetes and the pill really made my blood sugar rollercoaster around my period. With the Mirena, my blood sugars are much more even - so no headaches or lows when I am due for a period.
  • TEAJAY13
    TEAJAY13 Posts: 19
    Options
    i had the mirena for 5 years and it was amazing. Other combination pills always made me a little crazy. I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't gain weight on the pill or mirena, in fact for me personally it helps stablize hormones and I lose it alot easier. I say try it, it could be the best thing for you and if it doesn't work out, t takes about 2 secs to be taken out. Have you had trouble with pills in the past?
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Well right now, there's a class action lawsuit in Canada about women who've had permanent injury from Mirena.

Oh... & I had mine surgically removed less than a year after it was inserted because I was in so much pain every month when my cycle came that I had to be hospitalized.

I think it bears more research.
  • lswatson111304
    lswatson111304 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    2) pull out method is only effective 30% of the time

That's actually not true. It is 73-96% effective, depending on if it's done correctly. (For reference, condoms are 82-98% effective and the pill is 91-99% effective.)

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/withdrawal-pull-out-method-4218.htm

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-effectiveness-chart-22710.htm

Thank you!!
    I personally don't do hormonal. I have tried a few pills, and when i was young took BCP's for years and was sick the entire time (but terrified of pregnancy!) When I got married we decided against it and have used withdrawal successfully for 9 years. We do have 2 kids, both planned, so of course during those 18 months you can't really count that it worked LOL. I do have PCOS, but it isn't severe and I conceived both my children withing 2 months of trying (first was only 1 month).
    I did attempt BCP's within the last year due to horrible pains and that was of course every doctor's go to cure...so I finally gave in. I gained 15lbs in 3 months and was a nut case! No joke!
    I haven't tried the IUD's but I have some friends that like them, and I have one friend that it almost killed. She was so near death from an infection from that thing.
    Anyway, my suggestion? Read "taking charge of your fertility" and go from there!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who swear Mirena is the devil and their life only got better after stopping it. One had it attach to her pelvic wall. I was on depo for several years and pretty sure it kept me from losing those vanity pounds (despite people swearing it won't). Now I'm on this weird arm insert called Nexplanon. I have a high pain tolerance but this hurt like a psychotic alien device that took over my emotions and made me insane for about three weeks. I only got it because I was being laid off and wouldn't have insurance, and it's good for three years. I would not recommend it.
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    No doctor ever offers a diaphragm as an option--they are always pushing hormonal birth control.

My diaphragm has been the best contraceptive option for me. I do not have to take a pill everyday. I don't have to worry about side effects. I don't have to depend on my husband to put a condom on or pull out. In two years, I've only used my diaphragm and counted my fertile days and have remained un-impregnated. :)

I truly believe that we have become to reliant on hormones to prevent pregnancy. The idea of messing with the hormonal chemistry of my body scares me.

Diaphragms take 30 seconds to insert, can be inserted minutes to hours ahead of time, and they don't change how my body functions. I forgot to say that diaphrams made from silicone are available (that's what I have).

Team diaphragm!
  • EricaSchwartzXO
    Options
    I've had mirena since August of 2012 now. Before mirena, my complexion was almost close to perfect. No blemishes at all except for the small one or two pimples that would pop up around period time. Now my complexion is a whole different story. I have terrible blemishes every day. I can't remember the last time I woke up to an acne-free face. My dermatologist has prescribed me various medications and none work at all. It really has taken a toll on my self-esteem and my skin. Scarring is visible. Highly considering getting it removed.
  • krystamcmikle
    Options
    I just got the Skyla IUD switching from birth control pills. The Skyla is a smaller version of the Mirena IUD was too big for my uterus. So far so good. I've been spotting but I was also on my period when I got it a few days ago. I was hoping to see how people handle the change in hormones but I am hoping it will all turn out ok.