Eating Bacon will KILL you!

Options
This is the headlines in the UK today, eating processed meats can lead to an early grave.
Is anything safe anymore?

As a ketoer this and sausages are a staple part of my diet and honestly something is going to kill me anyway so why live in fear? I say eat up, enjoy and everything in moderation.

Now for brekkie :wink:

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Being alive will eventually kill you to ... The media is such a joke

mmm bacon
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Bacon will only kill you is it's not dead and charges at you full steam ahead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    The UK press has always got something to scare us with.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation! Saying this though, I far prefer bacon or sausages from our local farm shop up the road. I would also love to be able to make my own sausages to control what goes into it. Maybe someday I will be able to afford the equipment to be able to do it.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If Bacon is wrong. I don't want to be right.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the BBC coverage.....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21682779

Summary....
    Sausages, ham, bacon and other processed meats appear to increase the risk of dying young, a study of half a million people across Europe suggests.

It concluded diets high in processed meats were linked to cardiovascular disease, cancer and early deaths.
    The researchers, writing in the journal BMC Medicine, said salt and chemicals used to preserve the meat may damage health.
    The British Heart Foundation suggested opting for leaner cuts of meat.
    The study followed people from 10 European countries for nearly 13 years on average.

Lifestyle factors
    It showed people who ate a lot of processed meat were also more likely to smoke, be obese and have other behaviours known to damage health.

However, the researchers said even after those risk factors were accounted for, processed meat still damaged health.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Was it the Daily Mail?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

(the verse about cancer from (add item here) is pertinent to this thread)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    None of this is news.

It's the same stuff they recycled 10 years ago.

I still say everything in moderation.
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Summary....
    Sausages, ham, bacon and other processed meats appear to increase the risk of dying young, a study of half a million people across Europe suggests.

It concluded diets high in processed meats were linked to cardiovascular disease, cancer and early deaths.
    The researchers, writing in the journal BMC Medicine, said salt and chemicals used to preserve the meat may damage health.
    The study followed people from 10 European countries for nearly 13 years on average.

Lifestyle factors
    It showed people who ate a lot of processed meat were also more likely to smoke, be obese and have other behaviours known to damage health.

However, the researchers said even after those risk factors were accounted for, processed meat still damaged health.
    So bacon is making me the way I am?
    Funny here I was thinking it was helping me lose weight. . . The tape measure lied. :sad:
  • makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    whatever. imma still eat bacon. and none of that turkey bacon crap. real, honest to goodness bacon. om nom nom nom . . . buurrrpppp!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Summary....

Lifestyle factors

So bacon is making me the way I am?
    Funny here I was thinking it was helping me lose weight. . . The tape measure lied. :sad:

Far be it for me to defend the British press.... They are reporting on the study not creating a story out of thin air. I offered no opinion just gave people the opportunity to read the story (and look at the study if they chose) rather than "eating bacon will kill you" - you don't work as a headline writer for the Daily Mail do you? :wink:
  • mudonthetires856
    mudonthetires856 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think NOT eating bacon would be the reason for my demise.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    BAN WATER!!
    Did you know, 100% of people who consume water die?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Me luvs bacon..nom nom nom.
  • Kyrithys
    Kyrithys Posts: 32
    Options
    If Bacon is wrong. I don't want to be right.

^^ SO this! :laugh:
  • clouxles
    clouxles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks goodness I am Canadian and have the "Poutine" option. Although I have seem bacon laced poutine... (mmmmmmmm)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    A life without bacon is not worth living anyway. Long live delicious dead beast!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    On a more serious note, though, this is like doctors in the US who say people who eat red meat are at greater risk for heart-related illnesses than the general population ... what they don't tell you is that they are lumping in people who eat a Big Mac and fries twice a day and never get any exercise with people who eat steak once a week and work out regularly. Let's all try to use whatever common sense we have left to determine how our diet is affecting our health.
  • gpinzone
    gpinzone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    BAN WATER!!
    Did you know, 100% of people who consume water die?

Well, at least it's not as bad as dihydrogen monoxide! that stuff is dangerous!

http://www.dhmo.org/
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    If you were eating like 5lbs of bacon a day every single day I'm sure you'd get pretty sick and possibly die but in moderate amounts I don't see a problem (well other than the fact the smell of bacon makes me want to puke, but that's just me).