Reached target - what now?

2»

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    It would be my guess that the eating and exercise habits you have developed since you started are now an integral part of your lifestyle.

So, put away the scale!

Replace this with body measurements and fitness goals/achievements of some sort. Speed, distance, resistance weight, etc. etc. etc. Walk, bike, run, dance, yoga,etc., etc., etc.,

"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." Bruce Lee

And, remember to have fun and enjoy the process of reaching what ever new goal you set for yourself!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Congrats! Time to make new goals
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Hearty and sincere congratulations to you on meeting your goal weight! :drinker:

A couple of lifelong goals:

1) Shed body fat by a realistic amount and then maintain your new body fat percentage for life.

2) In tandem with goal 2, lift heavy. Then lift heavier on a regular basis. Create a chart to track the size of weights you use.

I reached my target weight more than a year ago and these two goals have been my lifestyle habits since Feb 18, 2012.

Best wishes. :flowerforyou:
  • tuneweplay
    tuneweplay Posts: 36 Member
    First of all, CONGRATS! We've been watching "Biggest Loser" and it's amazing what a struggle a lifestyle change can be. I am 40 and tomorrow, I will log 365 days in a row on MFP. I've lost the weight I wanted to (40 pounds), but now I'm almost more scared of being able to maintain. When the weight first starts coming off, it's easy to be excited. But now, I can completely relate to being in no man's land with you.

For me, I want to tone more, so I am going to try heavy lifting and focus on keeping the body fat down. Also, my wife has struggled a bit, but one thing I have never stopped doing, is logging what I eat - every day - no matter HOW BAD the day went 0:-).

GOOD LUCK!!! Run the race!!!
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Thank you for all your replies, I think the lifting goals is the way to go.

I run lots and completed a half marathon last year, which was itself a goal reached, I have started lifting over the last few months and have noticed a huge change in body shape. I took measurements when I started 3 yaers ago and I have lost 13 inches off my waist!

I ttok some time out 18 months ago to maintain so i know I can do that, but I just feel I need something to work towards or I might lose focus and slip back.

Weights here I come.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    hmmm...

Maintenance (maintain your weight) and go for toning up your body!!! Squats, planks, burpees, lunges, jumping jacks, walking/jogging/elliptical for cardio (or spinning/zumba, etc classes).
  • mair123
    mair123 Posts: 50 Member
    Awesome reply Bejaem!

Kellster11- we have similar situations. I started MFP when I was 185 lbs., my goal weight was 125 lbs. and it took me about 9 1/2 months of tracking food and jogging to get here. I started maintenance in mid-December 2012 and am still getting used to it. In addition to MFP, I did the couch to 5K program, then worked up to a 10K and am now training for a 1/2 marathon.

Remember to get to the point where you are at and to stay there, it has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. I think this change in mindset is what will help me be successful this time around. (This is the 3rd time in my adult life that I have gained a lot of weight and then lost it).

Enjoy your accomplishments and focus on things that you'd like to do that maybe you couldn't before whether it be running a race, going hiking, bike riding, etc. If you want to tone up, go for it! And remember muscle weighs more than fat so the scale might move up a bit, but in a good way. Go by how your clothes fit, buy yourself something new. Who wants to spend money on larger clothes?

Take it day by day and continue to track your calories honestly. Congratulations on how far you have come and enjoy the rest of the journey. It is the beginning of your new, healthier life!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    congrats - that's a great loss!

I would get harder into lifting now - set body fat percentage goals
    set weightlifting goals
    maybe do a tough mudder or spartan race or marathon

there are more ways to push your body :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Thank you for all your replies, I think the lifting goals is the way to go.

I run lots and completed a half marathon last year, which was itself a goal reached, I have started lifting over the last few months and have noticed a huge change in body shape. I took measurements when I started 3 yaers ago and I have lost 13 inches off my waist!

I ttok some time out 18 months ago to maintain so i know I can do that, but I just feel I need something to work towards or I might lose focus and slip back.

Weights here I come.

:) How about a different challenge that comes from a different sport? Pick a sport you've always fancied doing.
  • tgdineen
    tgdineen Posts: 12
    Well-done. Very inspirational.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    You deserve to be proud. :smile:

You are at a healthy weight. I would switch to maintenance and start lifting those weights. You may lose another 7lb and still not be happy.

If you feel you need a goal, then use lifting or measurement goals rather than the scale.

This, I'm still relatively at the beginning of my journey, but I have started lifting. It feels amazing to see your strength increasing, and it's great to see steady progression. And there are a lot of stories or women who have started lifting heavy and have stayed the same weight or now weigh more than they did, but they are a smaller size.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Muscle!!! Flexibility!!! Take up a sport!!!
    I think you are low enough in weight, time to find some other measurements, that will change how your body looks. Have a look at the community centre and see what different people look like doing differnt thing...do you covet the swimmer's body? The yoga body? The weightlifting body? That will help you find a path to the "look" you want :-)
    Congratulations on reaching your goal! Hope you find the next goal!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!