Dog names?

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
Hi, everyone

So today I'm going to meet our soon-to-be new member of the family, our second dog/puppy.

Originally, my husband and I planned to get another male boxer, but per the advice of many people and the breeder himself, we're going to get a girl...

Here's my question: We'd originally planned to name the puppy "Beaker" after one of our favorite Muppet characters. Our current dog is named Booker...

Do you all have any cute/fun name ideas that start with "B"? Do you think Beaker still works for a girl? ("Little Miss Beaker"?)

Input is appreciated...thanks!

Replies

• Sambytheway82
    Options
    i like little miss beaker :smile:
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Balboa?
  • Bxrlvr73
    Bxrlvr73 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Beaker is a cute name for either male or female! Congrats on your new family memember. My <3 belongs to a boxer too :) No other breed compares.
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    How about Bambi? Or Belina? I was told a while ago from a lady who teaches at a puppy training school, to NOT name two animals something similar and to keep the syllables to three or less, 2 being the optimum. Booker and Beaker sounds extremely similar to me, and may lead your new puppy to get confused as to what her name is, and if you shout "Booker" she may be inclined to come to you, thinking that's her name.

Why do you want both dogs names to have a matching starting letter by the way? I have a border terrier named Bella and I think she really suits it.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    LOVE Beaker! My husband's cousin's dog is a Beaker! LOVE IT!
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    How about Bambi? Or Belina? I was told a while ago from a lady who teaches at a puppy training school, to NOT name two animals something similar and to keep the syllables to three or less, 2 being the optimum. Booker and Beaker sounds extremely similar to me, and may lead your new puppy to get confused as to what her name is, and if you shout "Booker" she may be inclined to come to you, thinking that's her name.

Why do you want both dogs names to have a matching starting letter by the way? I have a border terrier named Bella and I think she really suits it.

I just thought it was cute....and we both just love that particular muppet charater. We thought it was cute to have a similar name but I can see how it might be confusing.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Beaker is a cute name for either male or female! Congrats on your new family memember. My <3 belongs to a boxer too :) No other breed compares.

SO SO true! Boxers are the best :)
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't have a male and female dog. I have 2 dogs and they get on just fine together. I was told the complete opposite of what you have been with regards to mixing the sexes. Both my dogs are however neutered.

Don;t have the same names either, they will have unique personalities so go for something different.

I have a Charlie and a Frank. My next dog will be called Mamushka. :)
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Well our male dog is already fixed...we'll be getting her fixed when it's time too.

This was also per the breeder's advice and my own research-maybe you lucked out with your boys :)

I definitely saw conflicts between our two cocker spaniels (both female).....and since we both work, I'd be worried about them fighting while we're out...granted we're planning to crate train both of them.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Newton!

I know it doesn't start with B.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Newton!

I know it doesn't start with B.

Cute name...but maybe not for a girl :(
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I do like the idea of naming the dog after a food...
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Well our male dog is already fixed...we'll be getting her fixed when it's time too.

This was also per the breeder's advice and my own research-maybe you lucked out with your boys :)

I definitely saw conflicts between our two cocker spaniels (both female).....and since we both work, I'd be worried about them fighting while we're out...granted we're planning to crate train both of them.

We take our cockers to work with us and i work form home a lot. They never fight though. I hear girls are actually worse with that. But you know the internet, it has information to back up any opinion!
  • MSeel1984
    Options

We take our cockers to work with us and i work form home a lot. They never fight though. I hear girls are actually worse with that. But you know the internet, it has information to back up any opinion!

Well and they didn't fight persay...I think they only really nipped at each other a couple times...but they didn't particularly like each other. They tolerated each other....with OTHER dogs, though....geez. it was a mess.

Booker is pretty dosile around people and if he gets the chance to meet a dog and get to know them 1 on 1, he has no problems. On walks, though...he can't stand to be on a leash around other dogs and he acts more aggressively around them too. If I allow him to walk up and smell and get to know them, he's ok...but he's jumpy. He's a shelter dog so he's a little more shy.

My brother and sister in law brought their king charles over to visit and she just pushed him around, it was very funny. He just let her do whatever she wanted. She even took his bed!
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have two bulldogs that I named Bindi and Brandi. I love the name Bindi and I like girl's names to sound, well, girly. Beaker sounds a bit boyish to me.

Bella
    Bells
    Betty
    Bailey
    Beatrice
    Bernice
    Bess
    Bessy
    Betsi
    Brie
    Brigette
    Babbs
    Bebe
    Bunnie
    Bonnie
    Blondie
    Bianca
    Bernadette
    Butter
    Brit
    Bubbles
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Babette
    Buttercup
    Bonita
    Beauty
    Blush
    Becca
    Bitsie
    Baby
    Bijou(x)
    Birdi
    Bettina
    Blossom

That's it. I'm not posting any more names. No more. You can beg me all day long and it won't do any good. I am not posting anything else. That's all I have. There is nothing else. Not gonna happen. The well is dry. Stop begging. Seriously, I'm leaving now.

......Petunia

No it's not a "B" name but it is a "P" name and B rhymes with P. So there.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Many of you were right-the puppy has her own personality and Beaker didn't fit, so that's her middle name (AKC registration).

But her name is Zuzu...after the little girl from "it's a wonderful life".

She's so precious (see my profile pic)
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    <
    my bumble bee minnie! a mini pincher named minnie lol!

that name is cute! i would use it!
  • Lottiehill29
    Lottiehill29 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Aww I like Bella but Beaker is cute too!
    I have two dogs, the girl is called Cash (after Johnny Cash) and the boy is Odin (we're Marvel geeks in my house lol)
    There's a few pictures on my blog if anyone wants to have a nosey on over!
    They're both Alaskan Malamutes and just so lovely. Little Odin is 9 weeks old and Cash is 5yrs old so he just tortures poor Cash haha All she wants to do is sleep but all he wants to do is play. They get on together so well though.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Bobbi :)