Wedding ideas!?

Options
dmmarie21
dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
Ok, My fiance and I are planning an October wedding. I'm in ohio, and trying to settle on a theme.
I really like the idea of a 1960's Rock and roll theme, especially for a reception. I ran this by him last night, he didn't really like it. I think it would be awesome to have the reception at Hard Rock Cafe, with a live rock band, Rock band (the game) tourneys and invitations made on real records! I still have to convince him...

The themes that he did like:
Disney- I really like this too! Like the fairytale disney love stories. I just need ideas! I thought about trying to book the reception at a real castle!

Brunch reception- After thinking about this, The wedding would have to be at 9 am...no WAY.

Any other ideas? I have a lot of planning to do, essentially on my own, and ahhhhh! I need help! lol

Thanks!

Replies

• molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i love the rock theme - that would be awesome but my fiance would not go for it either. i'm planning an october wedding - i want to get married at a local museum actually, but we haven't looked to far into it yet, the wedding is 2 yrs away, so we have some time lol. i'd love to hear what you end up doing...are you going to be doing any fall type flowers or anything?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I just helped (did most of) with a friends wedding that had a sunset theme. It was very romantic with the bridemaids in red, orange and yellow. The grooms men were in black tuxes with navy blue vest and tie. The flowers were white and orange with silver ribbons (night sky). The reception was at sunset at the desert museum in Arizona where there were big window with a beautiful view of the mountains.
  • dmmarie21
    Options
    That sounds really pretty! My fiance is colorblind, so, he doesn't have to agree with the colors lol. I will let you know what I decide to go with. We are getting married in an actual church. Our religion (Greek Orthodox) Doesn't recognize the marriage if it isn't on sanctified grounds. Kind of a bummer, because we actually wanted to do an extreme wedding, like on a hot air balloon! I would love to get married on a beach, or Cinderella's castle in Disneyland, or Disneyworld. But, I will settle for the reception or honeymoon at someplace awesome!
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My wedding was in the summer - but I've always liked the idea of a fall themed wedding with sunflowers and orange and gold and purple. My cousin had his wedding in october and they had a very natural theme with wildfowers and the ceremony at sunset at a farm. It was beautiful. But, I think it's your wedding and you and your fiance should do whatever you want! Who cares what other people think! As long as you two are happy, that's all that matters! :) Good luck!
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I also got married in October... I had a Lilo and Stitch/Hawaiian theme. We actually got married in Disney so they were able to make my Polynesian menu happen. And I somehow made it work with my colors... navy blue and silver. :)
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married this October and we are going with the fall theme. There are so many beautifull color choices for fall. October is not too far away. You better get planning!! lol

Congrats on your wedding :)
  • dmmarie21
    Options
    Was the disney wedding expensive? I am really thinking about a beauty and the beast theme, or a cinderella theme.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Ok, My fiance and I are planning an October wedding. I'm in ohio, and trying to settle on a theme.
    I really like the idea of a 1960's Rock and roll theme, especially for a reception. I ran this by him last night, he didn't really like it. I think it would be awesome to have the reception at Hard Rock Cafe, with a live rock band, Rock band (the game) tourneys and invitations made on real records! I still have to convince him...

The themes that he did like:
    Disney- I really like this too! Like the fairytale disney love stories. I just need ideas! I thought about trying to book the reception at a real castle!

Brunch reception- After thinking about this, The wedding would have to be at 9 am...no WAY.

Any other ideas? I have a lot of planning to do, essentially on my own, and ahhhhh! I need help! lol

Thanks!

I love the idea of the Disney fairytale theme... so many ways to incorporate that theme...
    They have Disney invitations.
    Castle cake/Pumpkin grooms cake
    Each table at the reception could have a different fairy tale center piece... Aladdin's magic carpet, Cinderella's glass slipper,Sleeping Beauty's apple, a fish bowl for The Little Mermaid, teapot and candleabra for Beauty and the Beast..., you get the picture
    If your guests want you to kiss - make them sing a song from one of the fairytales (or quote a line from the movie).
    Leave the church in a horse drawn carriage
    If you're REALLY good - you could even do table linens to make the tables look like the bottom of each Disney princesses dress.
    If you're doing favors... you cold do Disney Christmas ornaments or anything that says "Happile Ever After" on them.

I loved planning my wedding... I did everything myself from invitations to flowers. I made handmade chocolates for favors, put together "guest baskets" for all of my out of town guests... it was a blast. Our theme was Chocolate and Coffee... my whole wedding was done in browns, tan, creams and whites. My flowers were the Leonidas rose and other shades of cream and orange. Whatever you do... make it your own... that's what makes it memorable for you and for everyone else who shares in your day with you!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    That sounds really pretty! My fiance is colorblind, so, he doesn't have to agree with the colors lol. I will let you know what I decide to go with. We are getting married in an actual church. Our religion (Greek Orthodox) Doesn't recognize the marriage if it isn't on sanctified grounds. Kind of a bummer, because we actually wanted to do an extreme wedding, like on a hot air balloon! I would love to get married on a beach, or Cinderella's castle in Disneyland, or Disneyworld. But, I will settle for the reception or honeymoon at someplace awesome!

You could always have a small, legal/religious ceremony at the church with just immediate family , and then have the "Wedding Ceremony" at a Castle, or Hot Air Balloon, or wherever you decide.
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Was the disney wedding expensive? I am really thinking about a beauty and the beast theme, or a cinderella theme.

Ceremony/Reception wise it wasn't any more expensive than having it in my area. It got expensive when you had to add in the "vacation" aspects of the wedding... flights, hotels, food other than the wedding, park tickets, ect. It was so worth it though... NO ONE had a bad time and no one complained about any of it. I got all the weird and odd things I asked for and it went PERFECTLY! Less stress too.

We actually got chosen to be one of their featured weddings. Go here... http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyweddings/images/weddings/real_weddings/DisneyRealWeddings.swf
    And look for Patrick and Jenny.
  • kaylada89
    kaylada89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I love the idea of the Disney fairytale theme... so many ways to incorporate that theme...
    They have Disney invitations.
    Castle cake/Pumpkin grooms cake
    Each table at the reception could have a different fairy tale center piece... Aladdin's magic carpet, Cinderella's glass slipper,Sleeping Beauty's apple, a fish bowl for The Little Mermaid, teapot and candleabra for Beauty and the Beast..., you get the picture
    If your guests want you to kiss - make them sing a song from one of the fairytales (or quote a line from the movie).
    Leave the church in a horse drawn carriage
    If you're REALLY good - you could even do table linens to make the tables look like the bottom of each Disney princesses dress.
    If you're doing favors... you cold do Disney Christmas ornaments or anything that says "Happile Ever After" on them.

I loved planning my wedding... I did everything myself from invitations to flowers. I made handmade chocolates for favors, put together "guest baskets" for all of my out of town guests... it was a blast. Our theme was Chocolate and Coffee... my whole wedding was done in browns, tan, creams and whites. My flowers were the Leonidas rose and other shades of cream and orange. Whatever you do... make it your own... that's what makes it memorable for you and for everyone else who shares in your day with you!

This sounds amazing, You should be a wedding planner!!!!!

I am planning my wedding for next may. I am planning for itto be relaxed and fresh colours with white and green as the main colours. It all depends on the individual, we dont havea high budget and had a couple of rough years so, were having it low key with an amazing honeymoon!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

This sounds amazing, You should be a wedding planner!!!!!

I am planning my wedding for next may. I am planning for itto be relaxed and fresh colours with white and green as the main colours. It all depends on the individual, we dont havea high budget and had a couple of rough years so, were having it low key with an amazing honeymoon!!

I actually thought about it at one point... lol! White and green sounds gorgeous... very clean and crisp! LOVE IT!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I got married just over six months ago. We didn't have a theme really, our colours were claret and ivory. We got married in the 500 year old village church where my Mum is buried and i went as a child, and CofE weddings are the same as they have been for hundreds of years. We had all the candles lit and the church was filled with flowers in our colours and it looked wonderful. I was given away by my son (he is 17) and my two daughters (21 and 18) were my bridesmaids, they wore claret dresses and the men in the Wedding party wore tails but we did not go for top hats, they all had ivory waistcoats and claret cravats. I had an Italian satin dress in ivory with very delicate claret embroidery and crystals on the bodice and along the chapel length train, I also had claret lacing up the back.I had black baccara roses (they are a deep claret red) and ivory akito roses as well as freesia and oriental lilies. We had 80 people to the ceremony and the 3 hymns we chose were Morning has broken, then O perfect love and finally I vow to thee my country. I had The Prince of Denmark's march as my processional (Trumpet voluntary) and then we had The Wedding march from a Midsummer Nights dream by Mendelssohn to leave by. I designed and printed all the Order of Services and we gave one to everyone as they had messages in and the words to the hymns and the readings etc also we gave everyone confetti cones filled with ivory and claret rose petals. We went to the Manor house in the village (we had permission from the Lord of the Village) and had our photographs taken there in the fabulous award winning gardens and on the village green, we then travelled to the 900 year old Castle in the village we live in to have more photographs taken (the one on my tracker in one of those) We then travelled in our lovely 1946 vintage Riley to the Reception venue were we had bucks fizz in the gardens and mingled with our guests before the Wedding breakfast. All the tables were named rather than numbered, they were given names of places that are important to us and to at least some of the guests of the table, I had made all the table centre pieces myself, we had ivory and claret roses and foliage and little storm lanterns with candles in. We had white linen and chair covers with claret sashes, we also had real claret rose petals sprinkled on the tables. All the guests had personalised menus and a thank you note, our favours were the traditional 5, but we did not go for almonds but had dragees instead, also we made donations to a breast cancer charity in memory of my late Mum and gave all the female guests a little personalised envelope with a note in explaining this and also an enamel pink ribbon pin, then we made donations to the British Heart Foundation in memory of Bill's late Dad and did the same thing with all the male guests, who got a BHF pin. People were very moved by this, it made our missing loved ones part of our day (we also lit a candle for them in the Church) and people wore their pins and we can see them in the photographs. We had a sit down 3 course meal and then champagne for the toasts and we had four speeches ( I made one too!!) and cut the cake just in time for the 150 evening guests to arrive. We had dancing and general wonderfulness until the next day and we all had a fabulous time. We had a buffet in the evening and served the cakes (plain, fruit and chocolate) as part of that. Please take a look at my pictures on my page if you like. I wish you every happiness and lots of joy.