Breaking through walls...

Options
I was wondering what everyone else does to break through walls they encounter. I'm talking about walls that present themselves while working out, or walls to keep you from wanting to go to they gym. It'd be nice to have some other means than the ones I use in case those get stale and less effective.

In regards to walls encountered while working out I do the following:

If it's cardio and I feel like I have to slow down even though my program says to go for another minute jogging:

I focus on the music playing (the beat, the reason I wanted to download the song, as well as play the memories associated with the song like a movie in my head.).

I tell myself "You got this!", "Own this! Don't let it defeat you!", "Look at how much you've improved. If you push through, you'll improve even more.", "Don't give up on yourself!".

If I am sore: I remind myself that it's my body working on a better me. I remind myself that after I get started and warmed up, the pain actually kind of goes away. I remind myself by gently pushing through it, it will set me up to not feel this way in the future. (Don't you just love DOMS?).

Not wanting to go to the gym:

The primary motivator here is the memories of the times I have almost lost my father due to his not taking care of himself, as well as his diminished quality of life. I want to do everything I can to avoid this. Death is inevitable, but I don't want the end of my life to be such as it is for him.

I look at the progress I have made, and remind myself I haven't come this far without dedication and making myself go. If I don't go, how can I expect to keep on progressing and how likely am I to start the slippery slope of quitting again?

I am in love with my wife, and I want her to want me as well as to be the best I can be for her.

I tell myself I have the option of going to the gym, or going home and being bored and vegging out.

Those are some of my motivators, what about you?

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    It always helped me to think of all the heart attacks and hospital bills I was avoiding and I really didn't like the idea of probably leaving my children with out a father.
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this this morning. Thanks for posting. I feel like I have hit a wall lately and that slippery slope is trying to creep up on me. I too try to remind myself everyday of all the reasons I am doing this.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I go through this often when i'm out jogging. I have a minimum i tell myself = no less than 2 miles.
    However when it's rough at barely one mile, when i'm already at a wall where I shouldnt be (even if i'm at 4 miles) - i just start focusing on my surroundings. If i am outside, i look for birds, animals... anything to occupy my time. I tell myself it's fine!
    If i am inside on a treadmill such as at the gym, I watch the TV on the treadmills or i just start looking around at everyone for motiviation. I focus on my music, whatever!
    I have seen on biggest loser those folks who at the end of each season have to get through a marathon and sometimes I think hey if THEY CAN DO IT, I can do so JUST KEEP JOGGING!!
    sometimes i'll think about the people who inspire me such as the BL people, Jillian MIchaels, or friends who are super fit. that usually helps.
    I hate the walls, but when we break through them we are setting new accomplishments every time and there is nothing better than THAT feeling.
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I hate the walls, but when we break through them we are setting new accomplishments every time and there is nothing better than THAT feeling.

I completely agree! When I'm at a wall and my mind is starting to say "I just can't do this, but I still push through it....... the moment it happens I'm in "the zone". After I'm done I feel like doing a fist pump.