Strength training - how long does it take you?

Options

Replies

• jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If I do a full body workout, it can take over an hour, but if I do upper or lower I would say around 30-45 minutes at the most!
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 30-40 minutes for just the weights but i usually do a warm up before hand so total workout time about an hour.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 60 to 80 minutes, 4 days a week. I'm there to lift as much weight as possible, not see how fast I can get it done, though I do use a timer for my rests. I do my cardio as running outside.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Full body takes me about 50-60 minutes, but that's because I do 10 minute warmup and 10 minute cooldown.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I warm-up for about 10/15 minutes then weights take me usually 35-45 minutes, usually its because my gym is busy and I have to walk around a lot to find open benches and machines. I do cardio for 30 minutes after...It's incredibly annoying to be at the gym that long but I can't really change that right now.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    25-30 minutes. I'm doing stronglifts.
    only warm up is the walk to the gym and progressively loading the weight on the bar 20kg a time, until i reach my working weight.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    full body only 30-40 minutes
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Give or take 30 minutes.

Honestly, I could never do it for more than 45 minutes. I am hating every moment of it and cherish the thought of finishing. An hour would make me NOT do it.

that is how I feel about cardio but LOVE LOVE LOVE weight training
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    to do New Rules of Lifting for Women, it takes about 30 minutes, 3X per week. Rests between sets are 60 seconds.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    About 90 minutes currently.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Doing Jamie Eason's program, takes me about 50 minutes.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I just started NROLFW and it takes me about 25-30 minutes with a minute rest between each set... That's not including any cardio I do along with the lifting. Of course I work out at home and never have to wait on squat rack or other equipment.....
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I do body pump which is an hr 4x a week.. also throughout the day I do up to 1000 push ups.. Whenever I have a free second I jump down and do some PUs. I have found old fashioned push ups and sit ups will change your body fastest.

Push ups are GREAT!!!

ETA: mine are 35-45 mins
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Actual "workout" (Stronglifts 5x5 with some extra leg/core work as I am having trouble squatting due to knee issues) is probably about 45 minutes. I also do half an hour of cardio and about twenty minutes of stretching every time I work out (3x a week).

-Betty-
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    15 min warm up. Mondays is basically upper body and Wednesdays basically lower body for an hour with a trainer. Friday is full body designed by my trainer. Mondays and Wednesdays after lifting I do 30 minutes intense cardio, 10 minutes mid intensity and 5 cooldown. Fridays I either do the cardio again or if I'm feeling awesome and full of energy, I add to what the trainer gave me and do an additional hour on the strength training. Basically when I work out I'm in it for two hours..
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    Depends on programmed rest duration, intensity, volume etc. Currently doing a push/pull, 1 minute 15 second rest with 15 - 18 sets. That takes 35 minutes and 45 seconds.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Everybody's programs, rest periods, set/rep range differ. I do a upper/lower split and it takes me 50-60 mins/3x Week. I have no issue with spending an hour in the gym. And yes I go hard and don't chat it up. :)
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It's all about the pump!!! Time really does not matter. :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right to me. My 4 workouts/week take 25-30 minutes each. If you lift hard you can get it done, unless you have to wait on equipment or you're chatting it up.

I think it depends on what you're doing. Since I work one muscle group a day I try to hit as many parts of that muscle as possible which sometimes means 5 or 6 different exercises. Then if it's a leg day that's another 3-5 exercises depending on what I'm doing. Plus my rests in between.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I usually do five minutes on the treadmill as warmup then 5x10s on six to eight different workouts (a bicep/chest day, legs/abs day, triceps/shoulders day). It usually takes me about 75 or 80 minutes to do the full routine, with 60 sec rests between sets.