Protein Shakes are making me BULK

I am taking Promax Diet half a serving every morning and even on this, my legs in particularly have got bigger and are making me bulk out. I am doing some strength training, but am I the only person that is having this problem?

I have fat on my stomach and everywhere else is muscley, it looks odd!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Are you consuming calories above your TDEE?
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member

Yesterday was a typical day, I ate 1700 calories and burnt 800 at the gym
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    You aren't building muscle while eating at a deficit. More likely is that your muscles are holding onto water to help repair them during your strength training, making them look bigger and firmer.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    If you're eating 1700 calories and burning 800, you are not bulking. A protein shake will not make you bulk, heavy lifting and eating at a surplus will, and, even then, as a woman, you're not going to see a ton of muscle mass, and gains will take a pretty decent amount of time to see.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    If you're eating 1700 calories and burning 800, you are not bulking. A protein shake will not make you bulk, heavy lifting and eating at a surplus will, and, even then, as a woman, you're not going to see a ton of muscle mass, and gains will take a pretty decent amount of time to see.

(sorry JenMc14 - I swear I'm not stalking you and quoting you everywhere today!!)

That's why I asked. You are not bulking.

When you exercise, you are literally tearing your muscles. Then, your muscles retain fluid to repair themselves. Right now, it sounds like your legs are doing that. Take a rest day and relax. You'll be fine.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    You are either burning fat showing off the muscle you have or holding water due to repair of the body. When you damage the body with exercise the body fixes itself by taking nutrients the muscle through blood. If there is lots of damage, there is increased blood flow to said area, hence extra water.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    You eat 1700 calories, but burn 800...so you survive on 900 a day?

Anyways, you might have a swollen belly from water.

If I sleep longer than usual, I look flat in the morning. Once I hydrate and eat something - I fill out. This being said your body changes due to different conditions.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

you are NOT building muscle on a net intake of 900 calories....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Ummm.......NO
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    1324905_o.gif
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    bulking on 900net cals a day bringz teh lulz.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    It's fluid retention.

ps: promax diet is a little expensive for what it is. You could look on myprotein or the bulk powders website for cheaper alternatives.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    When did you start strength training?
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    1324905_o.gif

HA! Awesome!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Ummm.......NO

:angry:
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    I think you meant bloat, not bulk right? Bulking isn't going to happen from half a serving of a protein shake.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member

There's a good chance you underestimated the first number and/or overestimated the second if you're gaining weight right now.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member

7:15 a.m.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Yeah, I agree with everyone else. It's most likely just water retention. The whey (guessing it's whey) could also cause you to feel bloated--someone else mentioned bloating. Whey does tend to do that to some people.

You're not "bulking" on 900 net calories/day, though. I'm certain of that.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member

7:15 a.m.

You. I like you.