Appetite Suppressant Question

Options
bkciddir
bkciddir Posts: 42 Member
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good appetite suppressant that is not bad for you. When I have my monthly, I become extremely hungry after working out. I eat, however, it is still healthy foods, but in order to loose I need that calorie deficit. PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I pretend the hunger feeling is thirst for water. It works for most of the time. In days that it doesn't I have tea instead
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Your body adjusts and you will get used to being in a calorie deficit. Slapping band-aids on the problem via popping pills isn't a wise move, in my opinion (assuming you are talking about appetite suppressant pills). Sometimes you just have to power through things in life that are briefly unpleasant in order to reap the rewards. Essentially, there are no "good for you" appetite suppressants, other than drinking some water to help you feel more full.

You say you are eating healthy foods when you are ravenously hungry. As long as they fit your calorie goals, then what is the problem? If you don't have many calories left to work with, then eat foods that you can eat a large portion of to fill you up...lots of bulk for few calories like a huge green salad with lots of veg.
  • mzdocb
    mzdocb Posts: 9
    Options
    Look at a pic of you naked at your heaviest. Remember....NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Look at a pic of you naked at your heaviest. Remember....NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS.

I don't agree at all. Your body is telling you that it needs food after a workout. Don't deprive it. If you are hungry, than eat, or else you are setting yourself up for failure. The only time I use alternatives is if I am "bored eating" and then I'll down some water, get a coffee, chew some gum or go for a walk, otherwise I eat.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Eat if you are hungry. Are you not eating your exercise calories back? If you aren't, eat them. Your deficit is still there.

Otherwise, ensure you are drinking more than enough water and consuming enough protein, fiber and healthy fats.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, make sure you're eating enough protein, carbs and fiber to help keep you full and drink plenty of water.
  • bkciddir
    bkciddir Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the GREAT advice! I think when I work out and burn over 700 calories, my body wants to consume food for the workout. I drink plenty of green tea and water all day, so I know that is not the problem. After working out yesterday, I drank over 77 oz. of water and that was before I was ravenous. I do agree with the body pic.....LOL That would probably definitely work!!! I also take a daily vitamin and calcium supplement. Maybe there is something out there that is herbal that could help. I've lost 27 pounds in 2 months, so I know I'm doing something right. Just wish I could have that bigger calorie deficit - seeing it takes 3500 calories to loose a pound.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Remember....NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS.
    No.
    3oyi.jpg
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Best one I've found that actually works is FOOD. You can find it in your local supermarket.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Fiber :) aka veggiex ect are great for this or gnc has some chews they are ok water also
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the GREAT advice! I think when I work out and burn over 700 calories, my body wants to consume food for the workout. I drink plenty of green tea and water all day, so I know that is not the problem. After working out yesterday, I drank over 77 oz. of water and that was before I was ravenous. I do agree with the body pic.....LOL That would probably definitely work!!! I also take a daily vitamin and calcium supplement. Maybe there is something out there that is herbal that could help. I've lost 27 pounds in 2 months, so I know I'm doing something right. Just wish I could have that bigger calorie deficit - seeing it takes 3500 calories to loose a pound.
    You shouldn't aim for a huge deficit. Aim for 1lb per week. Don't get discouraged if you lose more or less than that - if you want to keep the weight off (and I'm sure you do - we ALL do), then do what you can do today and for the rest of your life... Your body wants food, so feed it. MFP is designed that way, too.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Best one I've found that actually works is FOOD. You can find it in your local supermarket.

Nothing cures my hunger like food.

Honestly though. You don't want to get in a cycle of needing suppresants. Because when you come off of them your hunger will rebound. Just make sure you're getting healthy macros and it should be preventing your hunger. And if you have 100+ lbs to lose I definitely would not recommend a 1200 calorie deficit. You're GOING to be hungry. Choose a reasonable calorie number
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options

Add in some vitamin C, a good B complex and fish oil, maybe some fiber supplement.
    Maybe look into lean proteins to eat so you feel more full. chicken, cottage cheese, almonds, salmon...

I am like you, I want to eat everything sometimes it's a challenge to not do it.

We all want the weight to go away quickly, but it's better if it's done slowly and properly. Or your skin will be sad.

I opened this post because I have used supplements in the past and they did work but mostly what they did was boost metabolism (green tea) and balance my mood (B vitamins) and "block carbs" which I thinnk what that really did was use fiber to flush my system.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and you almost always have calories left over. I'm sure that consuming those calories will take care of your hunger. It's okay. You're allowed. You will still be maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    At that time of the month you can be burning an extra 100 calories a day, so just eat something! Just be sure that its good food and not rubbish, if you keep going through this you're going to cave and do some serious damage.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    i think everyone has the same problem on their monthly i know i do, it all i can think about..I try n eat more protein in that time because i get low in energy and all i want is sugar!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Who came up with this stupid *kitten* phrase? Have you ever hugged a skinny person? When someone's shoulder blades are sticking out such that you feel they may cut you, that does NOT feel good.

Also cheesecake. Cheesecake tastes a hell of a lot better than skinny "feels".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    It's actually proven to work as an appetite suppressant by clinical study........................................................exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake tastes a hell of a lot better than skinny "feels".

Oh, this.

I'm told chia seeds are good, 10g with yoghurt or a protein shake or something. Haven't tried it myself, but might be worth a try.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Remember....NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS.
    BACON trumps this statement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition