Organizing/De-cluttering -- needing advice

Options
dixiech1ck
dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
Calling on my friends again for some help/advice: I'm severely overwhelmed. It takes me nearly 45 mins to get to work, nearly an hour to get home everyday, which is why I try to workout at lunchtime. By the time I get home, I'm spent. My apartment is a mess -- I have clothes that are just too big still in my closet (but too nice to just donate away, like suits and dresses). I've still got my Christmas tree sitting in my living room in a bag.. does anyone have suggestions for websites or books/articles on organizing your life, stripping down and becoming clutter-free? I keep things for sentimental reasons, I keep things because I think I'll need them later. Then I'm like "Why do I have 40 to-go containers, with missing lids, that I'll never use?" Any advice, help or guidance would be appreciated. Co-worker suggested Real Simple magazine/website, but I know you guys are a creative bunch. Spill some good suggestions!

Replies

• yarwy
    yarwy Posts: 43
    Options
    bump for later...need these answers myself...lol!!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of decluttering as well. If it's gross, toss it. If you will never use it, toss it. I have a pile for things that have no place. I just throw stuff onto it if I can't part with it, then go through it a few weeks later and find I'm able to part with stuff I couldn't a month ago. The most important thing is to start getting rid of things. You'll have anxiety while you do it, but feel so much better after it's gone.
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    Things that I only use seasonally, or less than once a month I put into large rubbermaid bins. I get the 30 gal, because its large enough to hold what I need it too, but not to bulky to store and move. I label the top and sides of each one with duct tape and a sharpie (so if I do need something, its super easy to find) It's alot of work to do at first but it makes everything look neat and is accessible. I just organized my to-go containers yesterday (all 3 horrifying cupboards) The ones that didnt have lids, if they were in good condition (not stained, melted from the microwave etc) I kept one or two just in case i wanted to use them at home (you can also use them to store small things in like paper clips, hair ties, pens/pencils if you have a tall one) Once I sorted them I nested them in the cupboard with the lids under/on the side. If you need to get new ones with lids, I recommend the dollar store, because you can find nice ones that dont leak for a fraction of the cost. Especially the single serving size.
  • jdim1093
    jdim1093 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    One room at a time. Baby steps, just like your weight-loss journey! Find one small thing you can do today to point you in the right direction of your ultimate goal. Then, eliminate all excuses preventing you from doing that one small thing. Then do it. Do it for a month. Then find the next small thing. You are living, documented proof that a person can change her life. You did it for losing weight and becoming healthy. Now do it for de-clutter.
  • dixiech1ck
    Options
    All good ideas! Thanks everyone-- and keep 'em coming.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    oh i feel your pain, i feel very similar...especially as i try to tackle my disaster of a house for my daughters first slumber party tomorrow...along with all the other things of daily life. I readily admit i dont mind if my hosue looks lived in, id rather spend my days off doing anything but cleaning and organizing, but there is also a very calming feeling to walking into a neatly organized clean home...so that is what i am working towards...i have little problem throwing things away..my husband however is a hoarder...it usually takes a freak out form me and i just start throwing things away. i dont feel bad about it. I used to save all of those extra buttons that came with clothes, and the threads, and when something chipped off of a toy i saved it to fix...but you know what, when i neeed that button i could never find it, those toys? they never got fixed...so i am trying to get to a point where i start throwing more things away.
    for your clothes, what about a consignment shop? it isnt just donating them with nothing out of it, but it also gets it out of your house and helps someone get a deal. Or what about donating it, not jsut to a shelter or charity but locally here we have a dress for success program to helped woman with interviews, business professional clothes, interview skills, completing applications etc. would you feel better about donating to a cause like that where they would be used for their real purpose?
    i like the container store website, because it gives me inspiration...it may not force me to make progress, but it does let me get ideas which in turn sometimes inspires me...good luck!
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    I am the queen of organizing, so allow me to impart some of my wisdom on you. lol.

First, I think a great website for organization inspiration is http://www.iheartorganizing.blogspot.com This lady is a genius.

Now, I think the practical way to approach your apartment situation is to make a list of things you would like to accomplish that day. It can be very overwhelming to look at a master list of all the things you have or want to do, but if you say "Today, I am going to clean out this drawer and put away the Christmas tree." it is a much more attainable goal.

My biggest tip for people who want to clean out spaces is to do the 21 item rule. Almost every cluttered space has at least 21 items that can be thrown away, recycled, or donated. You just need three bags/containers, pick up each item one by one, and analyze it. Is it broken or malfunctioning? That goes in the throw away or recycle bag. Have you used it in the last year or do you plan on using it in the next month? If yes, keep it. If no, donate it or set it aside to sell (Craigslist, ebay, consignment shops, garage sale, etc.). Keep doing this until you're down 21 items. If you're being honest about things, you may even have more to purge. Purging is scary because you think about what you're losing, but once you have a clean, fresh space you'll be shown exactly what you're gaining.
  • LisaM_9
    LisaM_9 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For the clothes - There's a chain by me in Chicago called Clothes Mentors - they actually do buy nicer clothes, jeans, jackets all that and resell. I have bought replacement suits and stuff there for huge discounts and good shape. You should see if there's something like that around you.

And for tackling the whole place, just pick one area for the week even, and do little bits slowly. Do a toss, give away, or sell... and look online to see where you can sell things if it's worth the time for you.

You can do this! (BTW ... I have lots to still do! I am doing it it very small chunks) my goal is each month to get rid of stuff either toss or give away or sell and doing it. Just take your time it will happen!! :happy:
  • wormy80
    wormy80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Here are the rules I stick to for decluttering:

1) For all items, if I haven't used it in 2+ it can be tossed/donated/sold
    2) For seasonal items, store in a box, clearly labeled, and create a spreadsheet that lists in detail what is in the box, so you don't have to go digging in boxes
    3) For nice clothes that are too big, save if you are planning to have kids, otherwise a) donate or b) sell (ebay and nice thrift shops are the place to go for nice items)

If you do this at least once a year (I tried to do it twice a year), you'll stay relatively clutter free.
  • dance_fit
    dance_fit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love organizing books and websites. I usually find Some books I really liked were:

When Organizing isn't Enough, SHED your stuff, change your life by Julie Morganstern
    Organizing from the inside out by Julie Morganstern (I started with this one, but felt SHED was great for having too much stuff, this one is good though for setting up your own organizing systems, instead of adopting someone elses.)
    The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin - her first month was devoted to organizing. It's kind of neat to see some of her tips/techniques. Like keeping one empty shelf or spending 15 min before bed.

Unclutterer.com is good website and she also has a book Unclutter Your Life in One Week. I thought that it had good advice, but was too overwhelming because she has you going through 2 areas of your home/life each day and I just didn't have time for that.Monday was going through your wardrobe, half of mine was in the dirty clothes hamper, which sort of defeats the purpose.

Unf*ckyourhabitat.tumblr.com (replace the * with a u) is pretty cool. Goes by a 20/10 system for getting things done - 20 min work 10 break; encourages you to make your bed everyday; and get things ready for tomorrow at a reasonable hour.

Flylady.net is one alot of people use. But I find all of her systems too time consuming for someone who works outside of the home. She has some decent "rules" though. And I like the idea of just working on something for 5 minutes or 15 minutes.

You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish in just a few minutes a day.

Also, don't be afraid to donate some of your nicer clothes especially if they are too big for you! (Congrats on that by the way) You could see if there is a local woman's shelter by you. Or an organization that helps women with job placement - many of those need nicer clothes/ suits to help women who are going on interviews and may not have access to appropriate attire due to financial or home situations.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I pm'd you but bump for more ideas.
  • dixiech1ck
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you! I'm sure I'm not the only one, and now I know I'm not. Hopefully this helps others as well!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    www.flylady.com Lots of information, but if you get into her system....you will have clutter, organizing, and cleaning BEAT!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    Definitely Flylady. She has organizing down to a fine art. And she tells you step by step what to do.
  • dawncolleen0120
    dawncolleen0120 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Agreed. I've used FlyLady.net for YEARS. She has a wonderful system and can walk you right through it.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a ton of great organizing ideas from Pinterest! As well as great ideas for how to use the clothes I have to get the look I want, new workout routines, great recipes...I could go on and on!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    PINTEREST!!!!!

It has given me so many great ideas and solutions to my clutterbug problems.

I always say "I am 1 rubbermaid tub from bing a hoarder!" :flowerforyou:
  • Its_My_Time
    Its_My_Time Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    GREAT QUESTION!! I REALLY need to do the same!! I have stuff in my hall closet/shed/garage which I need to go through. I serioulsy don't even want to look in the boxes and just toss them! Lol, cause if I haven't missed it I must not need it right?? LOL! I surely can use some help in this area too!