Frustrated with injuries and lack of progress

Options
2»

Replies

• bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Me too. I herniated a disk in my back last summer (L3/4). Tons of therapy and it's still not healed.
    My doctor said no physical excercise until it's healed. I didn't listen and re-injured it and had to start
    at square one. It's really frustrating because I used to be so fit. I can do some upper body work, but even walking for
    more than 1/2 hour is agonizing. And it is very hard to shed weight without the exercise.

you might want to get a second opinion regarding your back. herniated disks don't heal.

The main pain caused by a herniated disk is the herniated portion typically causes pressure on the nerves. Building strength helps, but it doesn't make that herniation go away. As long as that herniation is there, you will have recurring problems. You might do some therapy and stretch, and feel better, but then you will turn the wrong way while unpacking groceries or even taking a shower, and you'll be on your back again with your knees up wondering what happened.

The therapy you are in should be about building core strength, which frankly is physical exercise as the doctor has recommended against. So, a bit of a contradiction there.

Back surgery sounds scary, but micro discectomy's are pretty routine these days and in most cases patients are home the next day. There might be financial blockades to this, like lack of insurance, but if those don't exist, you really might want to consider this. I have no regrets.

If surgery simply isn't an option, you should be stretching every day, if not twice, and should be doing exercises that help build core strength. If the therapy you are doing consists of traction, ultrasound, and heat pads, you also might reconsider where you are getting the physical therapy. Those are pretty archaic approaches to disk problems.

You may have to accept that you can't do hard core strength building, body ripping, type exercise any more. I've been doing some body weight stuff for a while now, and when I started P90X, I strained my back. So, I'd love to do it again, and look like some of those folks that have done it, but it isn't worth it to me. I have to accept some limitations.

Some things that will help....

Walking! Stand up straight, suck in that gut, and walk. Then walk farther. Then walk up hills, then more hills.

If you have a pool available, walking in the pool. Yes, pace back and forth. The resistance is great. Swimming is good too, but it can cause a strain on your back if you are strong in the middle. I got to the point where I was jogging in the water... yeah, it was pretty funny looking, sort of like slow motion running like in a dream... but it really worked.

Water aerobics - if your gym has this option, you might consider doing this. Water offers great opportunities to build up strength through resistance with nearly zero impact on joints and stuff.

Lifting, dead lifts, etc. - I wouldn't touch any of this stuff without proper supervision

My initial back injury was treated with heating pads and ultrasound. Then they finally did a MRI and therapy transitioned to traction. At the end of a year (workmans comp case) I was no better than when I started. I dismissed my Dr, and lawyer, and the insurance company sent me to a sports medicine outfit. I was under the knife within two weeks, then I was in strength building PT. The walking, and pool walking, was something I added towards the end as I was improving (at their approval of course). Sports medicine facilities tend to be a little more progressive with treatments and they didn't mess around with that traction BS. They might of done ultrasound, but only as an ancillary therapy
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    ^^^^
    Herniated discs do heal - the vast majority do not require surgery.
    I've had enough of them....

Granted they are never quite the same again but discectomies are not usual. I sympathise with your experience but it is not typical.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    have to disagree.

once herniated, always herniated. They don't magically fix themselves.

edit: i guess it depends on what is considered "healed"
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No the healing isn't magic - ditto for cuts and broken bones! :smile: It is part of your body's healing process.

The herniation occurs when your get a tear in the outer fibrous capsule allowing the jelly-like internal soft portion to protrude. The pain comes from the tear and when the protrusion pinches or impedes a nerve you get neurological issues as well (as you obviously suffered).
    Most herniations do heal spotaneously and the softer part can be absorbed. 6 to 12 weeks is average recovery. The majority of people can make a full recovery in the sense it doesn't impact their capabilities.
    The various treatments (NSAIDs, icing, etc) are to support your healing process.

You are correct that it is never as good as new - the protrusion is effectively lost. I've had multiple herniations (c. 10 major episodes) to the point where I have very reduced disc height in 3 lumbar discs. No surgery yet - touch wood.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i had the same thing happen to me, 4 years in physical therapy.

dont do body pump - you dont need to be lifting anything for speed.

Go slow. Get comfortable and extremely familiar with your own body weight and the best thing about weights to get in tshape - you can do them very slow and at your own pace.