How many $$$ to be expensive - Restaurant?

Options

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I would consider 40-50 a plate to be expensive, 20-30 to be average and >20 to be cheap. Eating out in Aus is costly

This, except i'm in Canada.

X2

My most expensive meal was in Vegas @ $380 for myself though, I like fancy places lol
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I rarely go anywhere that I pay more than $25/person including drinks. No place is too expensive when my dad is treating though :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I guess I've been in new York city for two long. $120 (including tip) for dinner for two with drinks and dessert is pretty normal.
  • portergolf
    Options
    At what dollar amount do you say a restaurant becomes "expensive"? ( including tip )

I admit, I hate paying a lot to eat in a restaurant.... Just like I hate paying a lot for hotel rooms.... If I could, I wouldn't spend more than $15 - $20 for myself on dinner, including tip. I don't drink so I do save money there.

Anyway, to answer my own question, I start saying to myself that a restaurant is expensive if I have to pay $30 p.p. including the tip, but like I said, I am a tightwad when it comes to paying for food. The absolute most I can ever remember paying for a meal was $55, including tip, while in Vegas on vacation. And because I am so cheap, LOL, it bothered me all night.

BTW, I had to pay $370 last weekend for a dinner for 10 people, including tip, and all I kept thinking was "These people better eat all their food and not waste it." And then my mom took ONE BITE from her dinner, and proclaimed herself full. She absolutely KNOWS that she doesn't eat more than a few bites at a meal, so she probably should not have ordered a meal... sh had already eaten an app and a salad, which is more than she can usually eat...... I felt like she wasted $22 of my money.

Maybe you should go into a dinner where your picking up the tab less concerned with what is consumed. You are spending the money either way why let it ruin your time. If it makes you that uneasy perhaps invite them to your house for a less expensive dinner or don't take that many people to dinner.

You treated everyone to a nice dinner, consider it a sunk cost and move on. Don't sweat the small stuff.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think of it more in a "get what you pay for" scale.

If I'm eating fast food, over $10 is expensive.
    If it's casual dining, over $50 is expensive.
    If it's upper scale, over $150 is expensive.

That's for 2 people, btw.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So no one here eats at a better place than Chili's? Hell, I'm not sure Chili's even comes in at this price point.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    For a special occasion at a nice place you gotta be wiling to splurge a bit. $100-150 for two is to be expected for something really nice and is worth it at the right kind of place.

Now normally I like some take out or delivery and there's no reason for that to be much more than $30 for two people.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of food.. Burgers 10 bucks...steak 50 bucks.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think an expensive meal out is around £50 per head so i think that's about $75 each including drinks a couple of drinks each, beer for hubby, wine or bubbles for me (but not a bottle of wine/bubbles)

Eating out is more expensive in the UK from my experience in the US. Our portions are considerably smaller too!

Most I ever spent on a meal was about $390 not including tip or wine. It was disappointing v's the cost.
  • ChrisR0se
    ChrisR0se Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    Anything over 75 and I better get laid lol!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I guess I've been in new York city for two long. $120 (including tip) for dinner for two with drinks and dessert is pretty normal.

You have to remember that, like California, there's a conversion rate from "regular" US currency.

Anything more than $30/person is in "expensiveish" territory to me...but that doesn't mean I don't have these expensiveish meals.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Depends. Myself and a date for a quick night out, just some random place and nothing fancy, I expect to spend about 15-20 per person. Lunch or something like that.

Fancy dinner or special occasion? A few weeks back I spent 275 for two people. Of course, I'm a food snob, so somewhere classy, with good food can get somewhat expensive.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Anything over 75 and I better get laid lol!

With cracking tits like yours love, i don't think that would be a problem!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Over €200 for two seems to verging on the expensive.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I would consider 40-50 a plate to be expensive, 20-30 to be average and >20 to be cheap. Eating out in Aus is costly

This, except i'm in Canada.

X2

My most expensive meal was in Vegas @ $380 for myself though, I like fancy places lol

This....we eat out quite a bit....like every other meal. I cook one at home and then we eat out one...

rotating schedule....money is never an object, the quality of the food and atmosphere is the most important thing....

that being said, I'm an excellent excellent cook...so if I say, I'm cooking, all plans for a meal out, go out the window STAT....

my cooking trumps
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy fine dining so $180+ for two people starts getting towards being too expensive. Of course that includes apps, wine, entrees, and dessert. :)

Then again, it's what I really enjoy. So... you know.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Normal dining out - total bill <$50
    Special occasion - total bill <$100

Above that I consider expensive.

JM
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd call an entree over $30 an expensive dinner. But I prefer to spend under $15 per person, and keep an eye out for coupons and deals.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Here the Cheesecake Cafe is considered expensive and for a meal with dessert no drinks it's usually about $32 CAD before tip. A full size cheesecake is $60 before tip there as well which is killer in comparison to how much it costs to make the same cake at home lol.

Though we have more expensive restaurants in the city that I have been to where the meal is about $50 before tip, I think this was at the chophouse that I saw this as my meal price but I was being taken out by my boss for lunch.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    atmosphere

Word.

A lot of people forget that is part of the cost.