exercise ball as a chair?

Options
I have been considering bringing an exercise ball to work and using that as my chair since I sit at a desk all day and my back has been killing me lately, I think it will help with my posture and possibly help with strengthening my core. Anyone do this? Does it help?

Replies

• DostThouEven
    Options
    don't forget the dumbbell paper weight. i'm no expert, but perhaps a better chair with proper support would be a better idea. strengthen your core with some deadlifts and squats.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    don't forget the dumbbell paper weight. i'm no expert, but perhaps a better chair with proper support would be a better idea. strengthen your core with some deadlifts and squats.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    you know what...i did use an exercise ball as a chair when i was in college...helped with my back and worked my core....so there people who may make fun of this thread. :tongue:
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It's been done before. And it would save getting your boss to pay for a new chair. But it might be too small for the desk.

There are posturepaedic stools that help as well.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    ngbbs4ca3a55a751b2.jpg
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    We just had an incident at work where someone fell off their exercise ball/chair, whacked their head on the desk, and gave themselves a minor concussion. Now all ball/chairs are unauthorized. Good times.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I tried this. Unfortunately, once I sit on the ball it's too short to be a good desk chair. But maybe that will change as I get smaller. One of the girls in our accounting office does this and likes it, but she's already tiny so the ball doesn't squish as much. Anyway, if you don't end up liking it as a chair you can still use it to do exercises, so why not try it?
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    My friend uses one at home all the time for her office chair.

I also saw one of these in a store once:

AdjChair500.jpg
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I don't use one but about 5 or so people in my office do. I'd love to use one but since I'm at the front and the first thing people see when they walk in, the higher ups would prefer I didn't :noway:
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    We have some people that do it at my work and to be honest I've considered it as well. I have lower back issues and really could use a good core workout while at my desk. BUT I'm 5'8 and around 230lbs so I'm sure it would put more of a strain on my neck because I wouldn't be eye level with my computer.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I have been considering this too. There are a lot of classrooms that are now using exercise balls and the like as well. Reseqrch shows that even the slightest increase in body activity the medicine ball provides increase allertness and attentiveness over those in fixed chairs.

Some people will make fun of it, but I say give it a try and find out if you like it yourself.

I am also looking at the adjustable desks that allow you to stand and sit to work.

ANYTHING to get off my butt for hours and hours a day!
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I sit on one at work 10 hours a day; but it's helpful to have a somewhat strong core to begin with. You can switch back and forth from the chair to it to start with, but I've had great success so far with my exercise ball as a chair. :)
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    We are not allowed to use them at our desks because patients can see us. I do however use one every other shift at my second job and love it!
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I actually have a ball in my office that I used as a chair for a while. The problem I ran into was that I am a very fidgety person so I would end up bouncing up and down on it while at my desk. It is very difficult to type, see your computer monitor or move you mouse when you are bouncing around. Also, whenever people would come in and see me bouncing up and down behind my desk they would start laughing.

If you do begin to use a ball, only use it for part of the day to begin with. You would be suprised how sore your back gets trying to sit on that ball for a whole 8 hour day.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Here is my chair at work :) It took a while for me to get this approved by our department and finally they agreed since it has a "back and arms"...I love it. I only use it for a few hours at a time b/c even w/a ball chair there is a possibility to slouch. I also stand for a few hours too.

(fwiw, I am a 911 dispatcher)

20130307_112509.jpg
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I use one and I love it. I alternate between a desk chair and my ball. Make sure when you buy one though, that you get a pretty large one so that it's high enough for your desk. I've been using a large Golds Gym one, I think from Walmart or Target, for over a year now and it's great. I does help strengthen your core and burns calories. For me, the best part is improving my posture... I slouch terribly in a desk chair and the ball forces me to sit up better. It's also fun to bounce and stretch on (when no ones looking) although I've been caught a few times and had a good laugh about it. I highly recommend one, as did my chiropractor.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Here is my chair at work :) It took a while for me to get this approved by our department and finally they agreed since it has a "back and arms"...I love it. I only use it for a few hours at a time b/c even w/a ball chair there is a possibility to slouch. I also stand for a few hours too.

20130307_112509.jpg

I've seen these and considered getting one... I may have to
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

20130307_112509.jpg

Got a model or manufacturer?

I've seen these and considered getting one... I may have to
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I will try to get a model # for you today. I checked the chair, no luck..will have to ask our finance department (they ordered it).
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    All the girls in the office choose to use them, this is the kind we have http://www.gaiam.com/basic-balance-ball-chair/95-1004,default,pd.html

I like mine, I just have to remind myself not to slouch every so often.