HRM brand and style

Options
So, to everyone that uses an HRM what is a good one that is not ridiculously expensive? I also need one that is water resistant (but not for ridiculous depths, just for standard swimming). Does it have to be chest strap or is the wrist okay?

I just can't drop $100 on some of the ones that I'm seeing online, but I don't want to buy something that is total crap either.

Replies

• christinagriffith
    christinagriffith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    I just bought a polar for about $110. I have seen a couple for about $60. They come with a chest strap. I had a Sportline that was given to me that is sold at Walmart for about $30. That one didn't have a chest strap. With the Sportline I got very different readings. I would burn 800 calories doing the 30 day shred and with the Polar it shows that I'm burning about 200. The Polar also maintains your heart rate and has an alarm. With the Sportline, you have to hold a button for a heart rate reading. I got my Polar at Sports Authority. You can check out the website and you should be able to find one under $100.
    Hope it helps.
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I also just bought a Polar FT7. It retails for $109 (but I had a 25% off coupon). It's awesome and so much better than the old Polar HRMs I've had in the past (the chest strap is so much more comfortable). I love it. From what I've read, the chest strap ones are WAY better and more accurate than the ones without. The ones without are just estimates and don't calculate your heart rate consistently. And the Polars are made to work for swimmers.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    So, okay, I literally know nothing about this... Is the one below a chest strap? I'm assuming thats what it means by transmitter and training computer?

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FS2

Sorry to be dense!
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    So, okay, I literally know nothing about this... Is the one below a chest strap? I'm assuming thats what it means by transmitter and training computer?

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FS2

Sorry to be dense!

Yes it does come with a chest strap. when doing your research look at the tab that says what's in the box. If is says that it has a T31 coded transmitter it is the chest strap.

You aren't being dense. I was the same way before I bought mine. I researched and asked opinions from many people before I settled on the F6. Before buying online check your local sporting goods store they may be cheaper. The F6 is listed for $120 and I bought mine for $110. Saved $10 plus shipping.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Thank you so much!

Glad to have some idea of what I'm looking for!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way, I did not want to drop all that money on a Polar watch. I bought a cheaper brand. It wasn't long before I regretted my purchase, and upgraded to a Polar F6. I have been using it for over 2 years now!

If money is an issue, check out ebay. I have seen so many watches for very good prices. Some are being sold from the "January resolution" attitude and have given up on exercise and/or dieting. Some are selling to upgrade. If you are patient, you can probably get from a new - to gently used for a really good price.

I have been searching for a FT60. So far I lost out at the last minute {twice}!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    What store did you buy at and how did you get the 25% off?
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I also just bought a Polar FT7. It retails for $109 (but I had a 25% off coupon). It's awesome and so much better than the old Polar HRMs I've had in the past (the chest strap is so much more comfortable). I love it. From what I've read, the chest strap ones are WAY better and more accurate than the ones without. The ones without are just estimates and don't calculate your heart rate consistently. And the Polars are made to work for swimmers.
    What store did you buy at and how did you get the 25% off?
  • ccaruso219
    Options

If money is an issue, check out ebay. I have seen so many watches for very good prices. Some are being sold from the "January resolution" attitude and have given up on exercise and/or dieting. Some are selling to upgrade. If you are patient, you can probably get from a new - to gently used for a really good price.

I have been searching for a FT60. So far I lost out at the last minute {twice}!

Polar won't honor the warranty if it is bought on ebay or any other unauthorized dealer....
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I have a Reebok XT HRM. Was only $40 on ebay, does everything that Polars do, AND works great! Had it for 2 years and I've had no problems! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I bought mine from sports authority and actually found a coupon online thanks to another MFP poster. I think the coupon has since expired (it was a friends and family coupon for last weekend), but it's a great site for all sorts of sneaky coupons:

www.mommysavesbig.com

Amazon may be another place worth checking out too.