Stuck at a desk all day...

Options
Ok, so I'm one of those people that sit at my desk all day. I've recently tried to remedy this a bit by going to the gym (scary!) and getting on the elliptical for about 30 mins/ 4 times a week. For someone who's never been in a gym before I think I'm doing quite well. Does anyone have any other suggestions for weight loss? I do little things like walking to lunch most days and stretching in my chair... but I feel like there must be more I can do while at work. To be honest, I get most of my work done by afternoon then the sitting begins... and the boredom. I can't do anything to draw attention to myself like getting up and doing jumping jacks but if you have a suggestion for a more sneaky excersise let me know! Thanks :)

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss will come almost entirely from your caloric deficit. Exercise simply puts the deficit farther and speeds up your weight loss. Watch what you eat and exercise.

Walk when you are bored
    Kill yourself in workouts
    Eat right and make sure you hit your macros and your calorie goal

Do these and you can sit all day baby
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've definitely been watching those calories! They're sneaky buggers!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on cleaning up your diet. You can maintain a calorie deficit and lose weight with diet alone, although exercise is good for mind and body.

Try to get at least 30 minutes of cardio EVERY day, not just 3x per week. You don't need to go to the gym every day, you can also workout at home or outside after work. Walk for 2 minutes, run or jog for 1 minute, walk for 2 minutes, repeat. Get some exercise DVDs for home use. I get mine for free at the local library.
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm just not sure I have time every day to work out... I was using EA active for the wii for a while. Maybe I can do that 1 day and the elliptical the rest. Thanks for the tip!
  • 1210kim
    Options
    I have a desk job too and drink tonnes of water throughout the day, so nobody thinks anything of it that I go to the toilet 5 or 6 times- each time I'm at the toilet I do a quick set of 20 squats (obviously NOT while I'm actually on the toilet). Adds up to 100 or more a day and doesnt make a sound so its not suspicious!
  • Zwible
    Zwible Posts: 57
    Options
    I have a desk job too, unfortunately. I like to do some push-ups every 30 minutes or so. Only takes a minute and it means a shorter workout in the evening.