Why not give up certain foods or food groups?

Options
I no longer eat wheat or dairy. I here all over these forums that if you don't have an allergy you shouldn't give certain foods up, why is that? For example, if someone allergic to dairy they can eat other foods and/or take supplements to have a healthy diet, why can't I? I quit dairy as an experiment and am finding great health results from it. Is that so wrong? Also not eating wheat, I know everyone says it's a fad diet, however what do you have to lose by trying wheat free, and if there is no difference you can always go back. Like I don't get it, people on here support other people who eat fast food which is empty calories. People on here support other people who eat "Chemical Shat storms" also known as diet food or diet soda. Is it so wrong of me to want to include these foods or food groups because I feel better or because I "believe" I achieve healthier results. I say believe because I know an army of people will argue how it's not true that there is no benefit to excluding these foods.

Replies

• tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with giving up certain types of food to see if you feel better. I have been off dairy for the past few weeks (as recommended by a nutritionist) to see if that is what is causing the excess mucus I always seem to have. If that isn't it, I'll try cutting out something else. Most vegetarians I know chose to give up meat/dairy simply because they chose to, not because of any dietary restrictions. I say if it works for you, what's the problem?
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with giving up certain types of food to see if you feel better. I have been off dairy for the past few weeks (as recommended by a nutritionist) to see if that is what is causing the excess mucus I always seem to have. If that isn't it, I'll try cutting out something else. Most vegetarians I know chose to give up meat/dairy simply because they chose to, not because of any dietary restrictions. I say if it works for you, what's the problem?

Exactly my point. It seems to irk a lot of people on here though for some strange reason.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think people get aggravated when those that have cut out certain food groups for non-medical reasons try and push their viewpoints (which are often not scientifically based) on others. Also, the placebo effect is huge.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think it's more in the sense that if you totally cut something, it's harder to have long term results. Obviously it really depends on what you like to eat though. If you love cheese like I do, that would make sticking to my diet pretty much impossible. For wheat, I guess I eat it because it's healthier than the processed white stuff alternative (although I prefer whole grain white, but for all I know it might have wheat in it too).
  • dlw8888
    dlw8888 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some people find that if they cut out a food group for non-medical reasons, then when they try to introduce it again, they have a bad physical reaction. For instance, my mum cut out wheat and dairy to lose weight. She was off both for about 4 months in total and when she had lost the weight she gradually added both wheat and dairy back in. But this time round she found that it gave her IBS like symptoms, and when she cut it out again, they went away.

So, in that sense, it might not be sensible to cut out a food group completely for a long period of time because it might cause you problems if you decide to start eating it again.

But hey, if it works for you, then don't listen to anyone else!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    EAT WHAT YOU WANT TO EAT.

/thread

NO, SERIOUSLY. EAT WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT TO EAT.

/thread for real.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Some people just like to voice their opinions whether they know something or not. If something works for you (ie giving up dairy and wheat) then good for you! It might now work for everyone but they don't matter. My husband eats Paleo and I am so proud of him! I have been working towards it but I don't have as much self control as he does.
    Congrats on finding what works for you :)
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think people get irritated by others preaching that giving up wheat or giving up dairy is the ONLY way to successfully lose weight(or the vegans especially get accused of being preachy). There is no one way for everyone. Personally, I like food too much to bear giving up a food group if I don't have to, but I have friended people on here who are following Paleo or vegetarian diets just because I am curious to see their diets...so as long as people aren't trying to force their beliefs, I enjoy reading about how different people have had success on different types of diets.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i think its an issue when people start saying the only way to lose weight is to cut out food groups (be it carbs, fats, sugar, whatever)- which isnt true.
    just eat what you want to eat and dont worry about what others say/do :)
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    EAT WHAT YOU WANT TO EAT.

/thread

NO, SERIOUSLY. EAT WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT TO EAT.

/thread for real.

It really is an /thread.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I think people get aggravated when those that have cut out certain food groups for non-medical reasons try and push their viewpoints (which are often not scientifically based) on others. Also, the placebo effect is huge.

^^^THIS. It isn't that there is anything wrong with cutting things out. I don't eat certain things because I either don't like them or they affect me negatively because of health issues and food allergies. That doesn't mean everyone should do the same. The point that is usually trying to be made is that if there are no medical reasons for it a person doesn't have to cut anything out to be healthy. If someone is allergic to wheat and goes around saying everyone should stop eating wheat it is going to cause conflict because not everyone has to cut out wheat if it doesn't negatively effect them.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    If it works for you, awsome. I know if I were to give up wheat and dairy, I'd probably end up gorging myself on Greek yogurt and Wheat Thins a few weeks (cough*days*cough) later if I were to attempt that. I would only give up either if I had to for medical reason.

Everything in moderation (except for McDonald's and similar fast food, they give me the sh!ts so none of that). You have to find what works for you and makes you the best version of yourself.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

This is what confuses me. It's not a "Placebo effect" at all. Dairy has tones of hormones and highly acidic in the body which causes millions of people around the word to have health problems such as excess mucus, asthma, rashes, and acne to name a few. Wheat is very hard to digest - not for everyone - but for some. I almost never get bloated since I quit. I have noticed real visual and physical differences in my life from excluding both. I am not a celiac and I do not have a dairy allergy. I do not need scientific proof to notice an improvement in my life. As for pushing it on others, all most people do is put the suggestion out there because it works for them so it might work for you, which is the basis of advice. Not everything works for everyone.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Just because there is no objective benefit in relation to a narrowly defined goal to giving up certain foods, that doesn't mean there aren't subjective benefits, or other goals worth achieving. Just like everything else on this site, take the advice that makes sense to you for what you are trying to achieve, and leave the rest. People who have found what works for them (with their personalities, sensibilities, and goals) sometimes get all evangelical and judgy and think they've found THE answer. You aren't going to be able to escape the Judgy McJudgersons here, but you can choose to ignore them when they are clearly stuck up their own arses.

And, just FYI, I've seen a lot of people here get reamed out for daring to say they like eating at McDonald's- there is plenty of judgment to go around.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest argument against it (in my opinion) is that weight loss changes should be sustainable. If you can give up wheat forever, then great, have at it. But if you can't, then you'll probably find giving up wheat (dairy, cheese, red meat, whatever) is too restrictive, and might lead to weight gain, or a negative physical reaction when you start eating that food again.

I, personally, don't see any need to cut foods out entirely with my own weight loss efforts because just eating a little less of everything is working wonders for me. But do what works for you.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it's not that you shouldn't, it's more that you don't have to if you don't want to. (unless you have an allergy/intolerance, then you have to give it up even if you don't want to)

If you want to cut something out of your diet, so long as you're getting enough nutrition from other sources, there's nothing wrong with it. What's wrong is when people who are perfectly healthy feel that they won't succeed at losing fat and/or they can't possibly be healthy if they eat (add demonised food/food group here) and that they *have to* give it up. The message from most people here is, you really don't have to give it up. If you want to give it up and feel better not eating it, and you're getting enough nutrition from elsewhere, then that's fine too.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I no longer eat wheat or dairy. I here all over these forums that if you don't have an allergy you shouldn't give certain foods up, why is that? For example, if someone allergic to dairy they can eat other foods and/or take supplements to have a healthy diet, why can't I? I quit dairy as an experiment and am finding great health results from it. Is that so wrong? Also not eating wheat, I know everyone says it's a fad diet, however what do you have to lose by trying wheat free, and if there is no difference you can always go back. Like I don't get it, people on here support other people who eat fast food which is empty calories. People on here support other people who eat "Chemical Shat storms" also known as diet food or diet soda. Is it so wrong of me to want to include these foods or food groups because I feel better or because I "believe" I achieve healthier results. I say believe because I know an army of people will argue how it's not true that there is no benefit to excluding these foods.

For a lot of people it's going to be a lot of sacrifice and not a sustainable way of life to eliminate an entire food group from their diet when they can still get the same weight loss results from eating a variety of healthy foods and staying in their calorie goal.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I take the approach of I don't tell people what to do with their diets unless they ask for my advice, and my advice is eat enough and hit your macros. As far as cutting out certain food groups, I don't because I know I'll fail at it. I have reduced my dairy/cheese intake and processed food intake, but I still do eat both. Somone couldn't pay me to give up diet soda, the creamer in my coffee or cheese. If it works for you and you don't feel deprived, then theres no problem with it.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options

This is what confuses me. It's not a "Placebo effect" at all.

Well, if someone tells themself that by cutting one thing out they are going to feel 100000% better, then yeah, they will wake up the next morning with a spring in their step and suddenly the sky is blue and unicorns are skipping about. It's human nature to believe what we are telling ourselves, whether or not it's really a measurable result. Barring a true food allergy, of course.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You seem very hostile about this. Eat what you want to eat. If you hit your macros and your calorie goals, it won't matter much, if at all. It may help you or you may choose to believe it is what's helping you, but it doesn't matter either way. If cutting out dairy makes you happy and healthy, then you're happy and healthy.
    People who are unhappy about others giving up food groups generally are for one of two reasons 1. The person giving up foods did it because they felt they had to. 2. The person giving up a food group keeps complaining about how hard it is to stay on their "diet."
    You don't have to give up any food group and for most people, it is harder to stick to healthy eating when you give up a food group. If it works for you, why do you care what anyone else says? Ignore the haters and eat what you eat.
    It's just like the EM2WL v. 1200 people. There are studies that support every side, there is anecdotal evidence for every side and there are people who are unnecessarily passionate about every side. Ultimately, we all choose the method that we feel works best for us.
    Eat, move, be happy and you will be healthy. How you do it is up to you.