feet getting numb

Options
Whenever I do the elliptical or the bike for too long my feet start feeling numb. Anybody know what might cause that?

Replies

• emzyfish
    emzyfish Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem when I started, and found out it all came down to form... especially when I was biking, I'd put the pressure on the ball of my foot. Doing that compresses nerves, which can make your feet go numb. Try pushing your feet forward further so that the arch of your foot is in the stirrup instead! That and a new (pricey, but well-fitting) pair of gym shoes did the trick for me!
  • ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    OMG...mine do the same thing. I have asked several people and you wouldn't believe the peculiar looks I get. I am so glad to hear I am not alone :) I have struggled with this for quite a few years. Worse on the elliptical. With the elliptical I am installing some rubber flooring in the the foot beds. More cushion may do the trick. The treadmill I think probably not much I can change.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me too. From what I understand, when you are on the elliptical, you never lift your feet off the platform, so it's unlike running where there would be breaks each time you lifted your foot and your blood would be able to circulate better. Maybe try the treadmill instead if it's really a problem.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    for me it was a combination of having my shoes tied too tight, and form. try using your heel more instead of the ball of your foot
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    my feet went numb while at zumba, and for me it was as simple as getting shoes that were actually suited to my feet. the problem with sports shoes are that there are so many styles and if you happen to choose the wrong ones they can adversely affect you. try going to a higher end sports store where they actually watch you walk and take heat imprints of you feet, that way they eliminate the styles that are wrong for not only what you are doing but your feet.
  • stestut
    stestut Posts: 42
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. For me, it came down to ill fitting shoes and form. Once I finally got the correct sized shoes (I went down 1 1/2 sizes as I lost weight), and started putting more follow through on my heels, it stopped. Good Luck! Let us know what's worked!! :wink:
  • cbayati
    cbayati Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    YES I HAVE THIS PROBLEM
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I only had this issue on the elliptical. Try lifting your heels more on the backstride, and occasionally lift your entire foot - like every ten strides or so. It is caused by the nerve compression, like a previous poster said.
  • kimberlyhshaw
    kimberlyhshaw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I starting jogging, and had no idea what it was. One day it finally dawned on me. My sneakers were too tight and my feet were swelling and cutting off their own blood supply! I started lacing my sneakers very loosely to the point where they felt like they were going to fall off and it doesn't happen to me any longer. I had no idea my feet were swelling up. I still have to resist the urge to lace them tight.
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its an indication of being diabetic. You should get your self checked. If its not an issue, its just a matter of adding more cushion in your shoes and when working out just shift your feet position a little bit at times so they are not in exactly one point at all times.
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Problem was shoe size. Once properly fitted (a size larger) the problem disappeared. I was told that feet swell during exercise and that the shoe needs to be longer and wider in the bridge to allow for the swelling. Once fitted correctly at Runners Forum...the problem no longer exists! Good luck.
  • 0xbalthamosx0
    0xbalthamosx0 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had this problem, due to the shoes I was wearing ( Skechers shape ups! ) And weight on my legs. Make sure your comfy when your doing something :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's because you aren't lifting your foot. Especially on the elliptical you either need to learn to lift your feet occasionally, go backwards once in a while or every 10 minutes take a couple seconds to step off and stamp your feet.

You can get tingling if you have your shoes tied too tight across the top of your foot. There's a large vein that runs down the top of your foot and having the knot of your shoelace tied tight over it can cut off blood flow as your foot swells with exercise. Google was to tie shoes for runners for some different ideas on lacing.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Tarsal tunnel, similar to carpal tunnel, only in the foot. Repetitive movement.

Do something else. Like lift heavy.

If deadlifts were easy, they'd be called ellipticals. Just sayin'
  • I use to have this problem now I either slip my shoes off and do the bike and elliptical in just my socks (be sure to wipe the foot pedals when finished no one wants gross *kitten* foot sweet) or I wear my husband's hiking runners they have a huge sole so heaps of cushioning.
  • ShaylaAnn140
    ShaylaAnn140 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i ended up needing better shoes and insoles. i have high arches that needed support. since i started wearing them i havent had my feet go numb. it took about a week or two in order to get used to the insoles though.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    Whenever I do the elliptical or the bike for too long my feet start feeling numb. Anybody know what might cause that?
    I bought new shoes and then that happened to me on the elliptical. My old shoes didn't do that. So I may have shoes which are too tight. I believe whatever it is (shoes too tight, tied too tight or form) something is cutting off your circulation there. It has to be one of the three I would think. ??
  • Viola47
    Viola47 Posts: 121
    Options
    I had the same problem. After about 10 minutes, my toes went numb on the treadmill and the elliptical. I bought new shoes with a wider toe box, and it did the trick. If you haven't already, it might be helpful to head to a running store and get your feet measured and you gate analyzed. Also, you might have to buy your workout shoes 1/2 or a full size larger than your normal size! Make sure you can wiggle your toes in your shoes, and I was told you should be able to fit your thumb (sideways) between your big toe and the front of your shoe.

My feet still go numb on the elliptical, but not nearly as much. If they start to tingle I try going backward for a minute or two. It seems to do the trick, plus it's a great workout! I also found that stretching out my calves and wiggling my toes around for a few moments helps. I actually do this on the elliptical... I just go really slow while I'm stretching. I hope this helps!

PS - Anyone looking for friends/motivation feel free to add me.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find my laces are usually tied to tight when this happens, especially during a long workout! I'm usually on the elliptical when it happens.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Tarsal tunnel, similar to carpal tunnel, only in the foot. Repetitive movement.

Do something else. Like lift heavy.

If deadlifts were easy, they'd be called ellipticals. Just sayin'

Why is there two answers that seem to run through most threads on MFP - one is "Eat more" or you will store fat - this breaks the laws of physics and the other one is "lift heavy" - okay, but how will that keep me fit to run, running races involves running in training.