When should I start using weights/strength exercises?

Options
I have free weights at home (2 lb, 3 lb, 5 lb, and 8 lb sets) and a gym membership. I've done things (like bicep curls) with the weights and tried a few machines at the gym, but I honestly don't know what I'm doing at all when it comes to having a routine. Can I get some advice on what's best to do (i.e. reps or lbs or how many sets) for someone like me starting out? I would also appreciate some at home lower body and core strength exercises too, since I can't always get to the gym. I'm 5'3" ~160 lbs, female. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• DostThouEven
    Options
    Dost Thou Even have a time machine?

Google search "Starting Strength" and "You Are Your Own Gym"
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yesterday. www.stronglifts.com That site will give you all of the strength exercises you need. compound moves
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Now.

While you are researching all the other recommendations and/or joining a gym, look up body weight exercises online.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Now.

While you are researching all the other recommendations and/or joining a gym, look up body weight exercises online.

nerdfitness.com has good ones that you could do at home.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Today.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Since yesterday isn't quite feasible ;) Lets start with today! And if you can easily use your small weights at home, the gym with more weights is the place to start.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Start now. :)
    You might want to look into New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Right.......now!

look into an introductory/beginner strength training program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts (I'm personally biased towards Starting Strength due to I prefer the 3x5 format, particularly if you're eating at a deficit). Don't let their simplicity fool you....these are excellent beginner strength programs that will give you an awesome strength base before moving on to whatever your ultimate lifting goals are (be a ways down the road).
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    Dost Thou Even have a time machine?

Google search "Starting Strength" and "You Are Your Own Gym"

I tried that (not the time machine part :grumble: )...it was just so overwhelming to me. I was hoping to find others with similar stats to mind that did strength training. thanks, :tongue:
  • IamDianna
    IamDianna Posts: 37
    Options
    bump - need this too!
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    bump - need this too!

Saw you bumped this, so I thought I would let you know that I ended up trying many different things, but the easiest thing I found to follow at home was from a book by "The Biggest Loser" that I found at the library. The book had a good chart of strength training exercises I have been able to do at home.