Maybe this will be helpful

donna56
donna56 Posts: 412
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I just read this and thought I would post it incase it would be useful for allergy sufferers.

Exercise and Allergies - Achoo!
It's time to say hello to allergy season and itchy eyes, runny noses and violent sneezes. I have one client who sneezes so much this time of year, she asked me how many calories a sneeze burns. Probably not many, unfortunately, even if it feels like a convulsive workout all by itself.
There are some things you can do to minimize allergy symptoms, if you have them, including:

Stick with allergy-friendly activities. If the pollen count is high, running, walking, cycling or other activities that increase your breathing rate can make things worse as you inhale the airborne pollens. You may be able to avoid problems by doing activities that don't involve a lot of huffing and puffing - stretching, yoga or picking out cloud animals in the sky (not a workout, but a pleasant way to pass the time).
Avoid exercising outside when the pollen count is higher. You'll have more problems in the morning, between 5-10 am or if the weather is dry, breezy and warm. Cool or rainy weather may make exercise more comfortable - at least for your allergies.
Shower after working out outdoors. Here's something interesting that we may not think about: Your reaction to pollen may actually hit you after your workout. While you're moving around outside, the adrenalin your body produces may mute your allergic response. It's about an hour after your workout that you may have symptoms. Shower right after your workout and put on clean clothes to reduce your chances of a reaction.
Be careful with medication. There are plenty of allergy medications out there and many of them can make outdoor activity more enjoyable. But, if you aren't used to them, you might feel sleepy, foggy or out of it during your workouts. Be aware of that so you don't do what one of my clients did when she was taking Sudafed (she won't let me post the details here, but it involved a treadmill and a cat, which led to an unusual and traumatic entanglement of limbs and paws)
This discussion has been closed.